Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 06:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how super busy people work out, and how they fit it in? I have two very small, exhausting kids, work FT (with small, exhausting, severely disabled kids), and I can't seem to find what works best. I used to be an athlete and work out several hours daily, I get that it isn't realistic anymore.

Right now, I do 2 x 30-45 min kettlebell circuits at 4am (which are very intense, I did RKC testing once upon a time) and daily dog walks. It's not great, but it's better than nothing. What else do you add when you have no childcare and are always tired?

I was thinking of some kind of big weekend workout, what would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 06:59 AM

9,395 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I think you'll be far better off with more frequent (5x/week) sessions that may "only" last 45-60 minutes vs. trying to cram larger ones into a day or two. I have a busy schedule myself and probably an equally exhausting child; so I simply had to cut out certain things from my daily routine (which was mostly TV). And you really have to maintain a strict schedule - going to bed early, waking early, getting in your workout early while beating the crowds/traffic, etc.

An idea is also to find a gym that has daycare facilities and you can sort of kill two birds with one stone. They are typically very inexpensive and the kids get a little adventure and Mom gets her workout in.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:02 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I used to workout during lunch when I was younger (ran 10 minutes to the gym from work, worked out, ran back, showered at work). Not sure if that is an option for you at your workplace.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Are you a single parent or is your spouse at home if you were to go early in the morning? You could join a gym near work so you can get 30-45 minutes in during your lunch break. I knew if I didn't go first thing in the morning I would never go so I got up at 5 a.m. and was at the gym by 5:20. However my husband was home and got the kids (early teens at that time) ready for school.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:11 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
When my son was younger, I mostly did workouts at home using Jillian Michaels' videos. He would come around me often when I was doing those videos, but I would just put some toys out to keep him busy. Also, the workouts with JM were short and effective. When it was nice outside, I would go for a walk or run with my son.

These days I have a gym that has daycare, but I only take him there once a week. Otherwise, I only go on the days that I don't have him, and we also still go out biking together. He is 6 years old.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:37 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I have a shower at work so a few days a week I either run to or from work. Or I sometimes take the roadbike and go the long way. I go to the gym for weight training 2-3x/week (one on a weekday, others on the weekend) for 45min-1hr. That, plus a good diet is good for me.

Edit: you can also consider buying a weight set/kettle bells, etc. if you have the room in your place.

Last edited by G-fused; 05-23-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 11:43 AM

483 posts, read 624,414 times
If you can stream YouTube onto your television there are so many great workout videos, all free!
As mentioned Julian Michaels has some great workouts, So does Melissa Bender, Laura London etc etc.
I do a couple of home workouts every week with my wife in between my gym workouts. I also love the Blogilates series of workouts.

Put the kids down for a nap and get your groove on!

Jumping rope is another great workout you can do just about anywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness