Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 01:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times

Advertisements

Probably 75% is your diet.

Eggs in general are the perfect amount of fat, proteins, and amino acids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:30 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Thanks! Do I really have to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound I weight though? That would be like 110 or 115 grams of protein a day and it seems a lot.. I would have to eat a lot of chicken haha. Would 50 or 60 grams suffice?
60grams would be fine for a woman your size, imo. Just as long as you have a calorie surplus. Most people (especially guys on steroids) overshoot/overkill their protein intake.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:53 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Nothing in those links supports this statement:

Quote:
Try to eat a food or beverage high in protein about 20 min before, and again immediately after, your strength-training workout.
Twenty minutes before a workout would not allow time for protein to be digested, so it would not do your body any good during the workout. Carbs, especially simple carbs, are digested and are beneficial 15 to 30 minutes before exercising.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:54 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
60grams would be fine for a woman your size, imo. Just as long as you have a calorie surplus. Most people (especially guys on steroids) overshoot/overkill their protein intake.
How much of a calorie surplus? I don't want to gain weight in the process.. Is it possible to get muscular and toned without adding bulk?

Old 06-15-2016, 03:12 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times
There is so much bro-science on this thread that it hurts.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:42 PM

480 posts, read 622,995 times
Quote:
How much of a calorie surplus? I don't want to gain weight in the process.. Is it possible to get muscular and toned without adding bulk?
Yes, if you eat clean and exercise!

Don't worry about adding bulk, it's probably not gonna happen depending on your genetics. Shorter women and men might appear bulky when they start packing on muscle, but it takes years of hard training to do so.

If you are eating 5 to 6 small meals a day and eating good clean food, don't worry too much about counting the calories. Stay away from all sugar, bread, white rice, tortillas, fruit juices, soda and you will be fine.

A good balance of meat, eggs, nuts, fruit and veggie's along with good water is all you need to do.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
How much of a calorie surplus? I don't want to gain weight in the process..
If you do a muscle-building workout, you may gain weight in the form of muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it takes up less space. This means that you can gain muscle and still look trim.

How much of a calorie surplus? I'd suggest eating very little extra at first. If you get the results you want, you know you're okay, and you haven't packed on fat in the process. If you're not getting the muscle gain you want, you can increase your food intake by just a bit more, and keep doing this until you get the results you're seeking.

With this kind of slight tweaking it may take longer to find the optimal food intake, but fitness needs to be a way of life if it's going to be effective. Think in terms of your whole life, and it's okay if it takes a bit longer to find the right combination of food and exercise.

Quote:
Is it possible to get muscular and toned without adding bulk?
With the usual weight-training workout plans, there are three basic results possible where muscle is concerned: increase in strength, increase in muscle mass, and/or greater muscle definition. Increases in strength and mass result from the direct effects that weight-lifting workouts have on muscle tissue itself. Definition results from having low enough fat levels so the muscle fibers become visible under the skin.

People often use the word "toned," but it's a vague term. When someone talks about getting "toned," I kind of picture a supple, lively glow to the muscles, and modest but noticeable, athletic-looking levels of muscle development and definition. What someone else means by "toned" might be different from the image I picture.

Women generally will not gain huge amounts of muscle mass from working out with weights. The exceptions would be professional bodybuilders and the like who use steroids, and those very few women whose natural builds are large and heavyset--basically the kind of women who might compete in the Olympics in weightlifting or the shot put or such. It's highly unlikely that you have to be concerned about getting very bulky.

Work out with relatively heavy weights, eat right, and get enough exercise overall to keep yourself trim, and you should gain a nice trim athletic appearance that would fit my picture of "toned."

Old 06-16-2016, 06:29 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
OP - Browse articles here: Muscle For Life | Build Muscle. Stay Lean. Get Strong. For Life.

If you like what you read, consider getting his book, Thinner Leaner Stronger. Read it. Profit.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Certainly diet is important but from your post, I would suspect you are fairly new to weigh lifting/body building.

I would not worry too much about building mass, definition etc for awhile. It can take several months if not years to a 'ripped' body.

For now I would work on a balanced diet that includes lots of fruit and vegetables. Perhaps for one meal, an hour or so before you work out, try a smoothie. Use ingredients like almond milk, protein powder, flax seed, powered peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, strawberries, blue berries, peaches, spinach, cucumber, etc. Not all at once Find some combinations you like.

I would work toward exercise 5 days a week. Rotate muscle groups so they have time to rest and rebuild bigger and stronger. Consider something like:

Monday - Chest and Biceps
Tues/Thur - Abs/legs
Wed - Back and Triceps
Friday - Shoulders and forearms

Find 5 exercises you like in each muscle group. Target maybe 3 sets of 10 reps each. Each day that is 10 different exercises. Be focused. Know what muscle you are working. Use good form. Use weight that challenges you toward the end of set but not so heavy you can't maintain good form. Sometimes body weight is all you need for some exercises like push ups for the chest. If you find 3 sets of 10 become easy, its time to bump up the weight. Staying focused, logging your progress and setting up each exercise all add time. A work out like this will probably take about 1 to 1.5 hours. Add another 30 minutes if you tack on a cardio.

Throw in some cardio like jogging, swimming, bike riding a few times a week.

Continue to eat healthy, be persistent about your exercise routine and you will see results in 4-6 weeks.

Track your progress. Take measurements of your arms, thighs, waist etc. Note your weight and reps: 30x3x10 or 30 pounds x 3 sets x 10 reps. Some times it might be 30x10 30x8 30x5 .... or 30 pounds x 10 reps then 8 reps then 5 reps. That's OK. Next week you might do the same exercise and its 30x10 30x10 30x6 .... you can see you are making progress. Seeing your muscles get bigger on your body, on paper and generally seeing the progress you have made are strong motivators to keep at it.

After several months and you have made significant progress, you will learn what works for you. Talk to other body builders for ideas. Then perhaps it will be time to start refining your diet and routines to perfect you physique. But first, build a life style, a foundation, then you can start detailing.

Take care, be safe and good luck.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:54 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Certainly diet is important but from your post, I would suspect you are fairly new to weigh lifting/body building.

I would not worry too much about building mass, definition etc for awhile. It can take several months if not years to a 'ripped' body.

For now I would work on a balanced diet that includes lots of fruit and vegetables. Perhaps for one meal, an hour or so before you work out, try a smoothie. Use ingredients like almond milk, protein powder, flax seed, powered peanut butter, yogurt, cottage cheese, strawberries, blue berries, peaches, spinach, cucumber, etc. Not all at once Find some combinations you like.

I would work toward exercise 5 days a week. Rotate muscle groups so they have time to rest and rebuild bigger and stronger. Consider something like:

Monday - Chest and Biceps
Tues/Thur - Abs/legs
Wed - Back and Triceps
Friday - Shoulders and forearms

Find 5 exercises you like in each muscle group. Target maybe 3 sets of 10 reps each. Each day that is 10 different exercises. Be focused. Know what muscle you are working. Use good form. Use weight that challenges you toward the end of set but not so heavy you can't maintain good form. Sometimes body weight is all you need for some exercises like push ups for the chest. If you find 3 sets of 10 become easy, its time to bump up the weight. Staying focused, logging your progress and setting up each exercise all add time. A work out like this will probably take about 1 to 1.5 hours. Add another 30 minutes if you tack on a cardio.

Throw in some cardio like jogging, swimming, bike riding a few times a week.

Continue to eat healthy, be persistent about your exercise routine and you will see results in 4-6 weeks.

Track your progress. Take measurements of your arms, thighs, waist etc. Note your weight and reps: 30x3x10 or 30 pounds x 3 sets x 10 reps. Some times it might be 30x10 30x8 30x5 .... or 30 pounds x 10 reps then 8 reps then 5 reps. That's OK. Next week you might do the same exercise and its 30x10 30x10 30x6 .... you can see you are making progress. Seeing your muscles get bigger on your body, on paper and generally seeing the progress you have made are strong motivators to keep at it.

After several months and you have made significant progress, you will learn what works for you. Talk to other body builders for ideas. Then perhaps it will be time to start refining your diet and routines to perfect you physique. But first, build a life style, a foundation, then you can start detailing.

Take care, be safe and good luck.
Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness