Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:20 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. Our culture has equated certain behaviors with being "thin," which is code word for "fit" and "healthy." And we want everyone to do these things for the sole purpose of being a socially acceptable size.
Wrong.

With the U.S. moving closer and closer to truly "socialized medicine" we all have a vested interest in keeping people out of hospitals and off pharmaceuticals. It's about health (money), not size.

I don't care if you're fat as long as you're healthy, or if you're wealthy enough to pay your own damn doctor bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:39 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
OK, no sugar is a bit extreme.. I am saying cutting the carbs down and sugar combined with a morning walk or run will have pretty immediate effects. The poster stated since you can't notice a difference why do it. I was refuting that claim.
Mm I don't know, like I said I've been working out for a long time, and the only thing I feel after a workout is the relief that I got it over with for the day.
Cutting carbs and exercising does not make me feel good. What makes me feel good is curling up on the couch with a cup of hot coffee and a croissant and a good book :P But feeling fat sort of negates that, so my best motivation for making myself work out and eat better is looking better. Feeling "light" and thin when I get dressed in the morning just gives me a mental lift and puts a different outlook on my whole day then when I'm feeling fat.

It's not a 'society' thing either. I'm not a socially unacceptable size; in fact, I'm probably smaller than a lot of women my age. Society doesn't give a damn if I gain or lose 5, 10 , or 20 lbs. However, *I* feel terrible when I gain weight. I'm very aesthetics oriented, I love fashion and want clothes to fit me great; my goal is to have a body that's in the top 10% or so for my age. I want to feel hot and sexy and have a body that others admire, and that gives me a much bigger "rush", if you will, than any health improvements. I will admit that if I was one of those people with super high metabolisms that could remain thin without effort, I would probably eat horribly and never work out.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:28 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I totally agree with you, Jade. The emphasis should really be on being healthy; eating right and exercising because you WANT to, not just to be "thin". What is "thin" anyway. Everyone has their own definition.

As you say, feeling good and being healthy has its own rewards. And if you feel good (and are healthy), you look good, too, no matter what your size.
Well as a person who outwardly looks to be in decent shape, I know eating better and getting more exercise will be good for my health regardless of physical appearance. I feel as if my health is not as good as it should be despite looking athletic.
So your and the OP's point and thought process is spot on.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:30 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,011 times
People eat HORRIBLY! I understand once in a while eating bad food, but some people don't even eat vegetables.

With that said, I am eating cleaner, getting in touch with nature and my physical self, and trying to ward off diabetes. I am down 40 lbs and in a normal BMI range. I am close to 40 and can rock skinny jeans with NO muffin top, and actually own a little triangle top bikini now. THAT my dear friend is the reward, and the reason why to keep going.

Plus, it is fun being spiteful to my father who has said you will never be in a size 6 again over 6 months ago! I just bought a size 4 pair of white shorts and wore them to his house last week. I made sure I mentioned the size that he could hear me to my sister!

It's a great way to give the proverbial middle finger to the world, in my opinion. Being skinny affords you the right to do so - I can't wait till I am down to a size 2! But, this is the mindset people need to have going forward to change the diet cycle.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:04 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:

Why isn't the focus just doing those things so you feel better, sleep better, have more energy, live longer, etc. And if you don't become a "socially acceptable size" that is OK too. Because eating well and staying active have their own rewards unrelated to your weight and appearance. There are plenty of studies that show engaging in "healthy" behaviors improves health outcomes no matter what size you are. So why isn't that the focus? Everyone, regardless of size, should be doing these healthy behaviors.
Paradoxically, this is the mindset of people who are fit AND lean. People without this mindset usually can't maintain the lifestyle it takes to remain fit and lean.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:26 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
I was thinking about this the other day. Our culture has equated certain behaviors with being "thin," which is code word for "fit" and "healthy." And we want everyone to do these things for the sole purpose of being a socially acceptable size.

The problem with this mindset is, equating exercise and eating well with "thinness" means the only reason you should do them is to "lose weight."

But this also implies that if you aren't losing weight, you are doing something wrong. And indirectly tells you should just stop doing it if you aren't losing weight. Did you start walking more during the day? Are you the same size? Well it is worthless. Your bike commute didn't cause you any weight loss? Oh well pointless. Are you eating more produce, and you are still the same size? Oh well you should just gorge on fast food all day instead.

Why isn't the focus just doing those things so you feel better, sleep better, have more energy, live longer, etc. And if you don't become a "socially acceptable size" that is OK too. Because eating well and staying active have their own rewards unrelated to your weight and appearance. There are plenty of studies that show engaging in "healthy" behaviors improves health outcomes no matter what size you are. So why isn't that the focus? Everyone, regardless of size, should be doing these healthy behaviors.

I haven't listened to this yet, but a friend recommended it.
Tell Me I'm Fat | This American Life

What do you guys think?
People have already said this; losing weight is not the *only* reason to exercise. But it should be noted that there are important reasons to get your weight under control beyond the risk of cardiovascular disease. Excess weight can be a cause of joint pain later in life.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:16 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I do understand what you are saying OP. The focus should be on healthy behaviors period, not just for weight loss. Just because you are not losing gobs of weight doesn't mean that you are not trying to be healthy. I think if you eat less and work out more, weight loss eventually just happens.

Losing weight at an older age was VERY hard. I had to fight for every pound lost and fight periods of discouragement. What actually kept me going (and continues to keep me going) is exercise, specifically strength training. The key is to find an activity that you really enjoy because if you do, it will become a part of your life. Exercising just to lose weight loses its appeal once your goal weight is attained. I go to the gym now because I feel it is the one thing that makes me feel good physically and mentally. My diet is better because I don't want to undo whatever progress I've made in the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness