Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 04:08 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times

Advertisements

Here is a good, basic primer on HIIT explaining the benefits, cautions, interval manipulations, energy systems, recovery, and why it is important to have a base of fitness first:

https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/...l-training.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 04:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I love OTF. I have been going for almost a year. I lost inches and am down two sizes. It's motivating as hell for me. I love the variety for each class and the coaches are great! You can try it for free and see how you like it.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:09 PM

197 posts, read 261,230 times
HIIT is not for the average lay person looking to lose weight......at least not REAL HIIT. The kind that leaves you laying on the floor in agony gasping for air ready to hurl!

Most people don't even need HIIT to lose weight, get in shape, and be healthy.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:34 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
HIIT is not for the average lay person looking to lose weight......at least not REAL HIIT. The kind that leaves you laying on the floor in agony gasping for air ready to hurl!

Exactly.

HIIT is basically designed to increase the efficiency of lactate buffering at high levels of intensity in endurance type of activities.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Thanks guys for your input. Reps from OTF stopped by my job the other day and I found myself intrigued by their presentation, particularly "keeping things in the orange zone" and EPOC/afterburn effect. I'm not interested in OTF for weight loss purposes but for more of a cardio reboot. I get bored with cardio pretty quickly so I thought OTF and similar HIIT workouts would spice things up a little. Seems like they are pretty pricey and I'd still have to join a gym to have my other (strength) needs met. I've progressed nicely with weight training and that's really my focus so i'm thinking maybe OTF is not for me.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:05 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks guys for your input. Reps from OTF stopped by my job the other day and I found myself intrigued by their presentation, particularly "keeping things in the orange zone" and EPOC/afterburn effect. I'm not interested in OTF for weight loss purposes but for more of a cardio reboot. I get bored with cardio pretty quickly so I thought OTF and similar HIIT workouts would spice things up a little. Seems like they are pretty pricey and I'd still have to join a gym to have my other (strength) needs met. I've progressed nicely with weight training and that's really my focus so i'm thinking maybe OTF is not for me.

I'll get called a kool aid drinker for this, but based on your stated "wants" - a good CrossFit gym might be exactly what you're looking for. Emphasis on "good", because there are plenty/too many bad ones out there.

Find a few in your area and visit, ask lots of questions, etc. Maybe you'll find exactly what you're looking for, or maybe you won't. It's not for everyone, and that's A-OK.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:11 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
You should see if you can buy a single visit pass or a 3-5 class pass and give it a try. That's really the best was to see if provides what you are looking for in terms of workout and environment. Sometimes going 2 or 3 times also lets you see if a particular instructor or class is also more in line with what you like.

I tend to be a better class attendee than solo exerciser. I just let it go and follow the course. To be honest the biggest benefit is I lock myself in schedule wise and go form activity to activity without a meandering bathroom/water break and other unnecessary time wastes. I understand some on here find group classes unholy but we all have different preferences. My biggest thing would be to look for whatever teacher gave the best instruction and corrections. I don't really need a cheerleader but someone who calls BS on either a lax effort or falling out of proper form/alignment is always very helpful for me.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post

It's all about what works for you. I, personally, love to work hard in the gym, but I don't want to spend half my day in the gym. Tabata training allows me to get in everything I need to do in a shorter amount of time, and I've seen some great strides with it. It's been most effective for me in terms of losing fat and getting myself back into excellent shape. It's definitely helped my conditioning with tennis. Now, it's not something I'll continue to do forever, but it's get for me because I don't have two or three hours a day to spend at the gym.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I do best working out solo than group classes but mrpeatie, you're right. They did offer me a complimentary workout so I may just take them up on it.

Hooligan, actually a friend of mine suggested that I give Crossfit a try. My only concern is that I have moderate-severe arthritis in the knees. I'm not sure if that will be an issue.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I do best working out solo than group classes but mrpeatie, you're right. They did offer me a complimentary workout so I may just take them up on it.

Hooligan, actually a friend of mine suggested that I give Crossfit a try. My only concern is that I have moderate-severe arthritis in the knees. I'm not sure if that will be an issue.

Any decent coach should be able to scale/substitute the movements and workload to accommodate you. That's one of the very best things about CrossFit, IMO. You're all doing the same workout, some with lighter weight, some with substituted/modified movements, etc., but all essentially doing the same stuff. There are some 70+ year olds that work out at my gym....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness