Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 12:11 PM

444 posts, read 324,697 times

Advertisements

Had to think of how to preface this question. I am NOT in a gym. That said, im in my mid-30s and trying to gain strength, and be more toned.

I read a lot of threads and I should identify: Im NOT trying to get big like Brock Lesnar, Dwayne Johnson who looks bigger every movie hes in, etc...
Im NOT trying to look like King Leonidas...
Im NOT trying to get into the Marines..
Maybe more like a Jason Statham. But, even then... Truthfully, I am not trying to look like ANYONE. Just be strong and fit.

I do push-ups off my chair (legs elevated and feet on the recliner) and am trying my hand at High Intensity Interval Training. Jumping jacks and jumping rope in place... At least 200 times. Then rest.. briefly...

I find "lunges" hard to do, I sometimes work in squats.

I am one of those that wants to say "Im 3x years old and in better shape than I was in my 20s."

And yeah, I drank a little beer. First time in my life. That will NOT be a regular thing. Only occasionally, if it continues.

Im 6ft and ~220lbs. A little bit of a pot belly, but not much. Ladies seem to like that as well... All depends on who.

Tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 12:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Running and jogging is cardio conditioning. Get a hr monitor. A good one like a Polar M400 and plot your progress.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:36 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post
Had to think of how to preface this question. I am NOT in a gym. That said, im in my mid-30s and trying to gain strength, and be more toned.

I read a lot of threads and I should identify: Im NOT trying to get big like Brock Lesnar, Dwayne Johnson who looks bigger every movie hes in, etc...
Maybe more like a Jason Statham. But, even then... Truthfully, I am not trying to look like ANYONE. Just be strong and fit.

I do push-ups off my chair (legs elevated and feet on the recliner) and am trying my hand at High Intensity Interval Training. Jumping jacks and jumping rope in place... At least 200 times. Then rest.. briefly...

I am one of those that wants to say "Im 3x years old and in better shape than I was in my 20s."

And yeah, I drank a little beer. First time in my life. That will NOT be a regular thing. Only occasionally, if it continues.

Im 6ft and ~220lbs. A little bit of a pot belly, but not much. Ladies seem to like that as well... All depends on who.

Tips?
It depends on how hard you're jogging and running. The harder you workout the more time you need to recover, especially as you get older. It wouldn't hurt to take at least one day a week off from running, even if you decide to walk on those non-running days.

You don't want to sustain overuse injuries which would force you to stop running until the injuries have healed.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtagusername View Post

Tips?
You are the only one who can define what kind of shape you want to be in. And keep in mind that everyone who doesn't lift weights says, "I don't want to get big muscles, I just want to get toned."

You say you have "A little bit of a pot belly, but not much." At "6ft and ~220lbs," I wonder if it is more than a "little bit of a pot belly." I'm saying that since I'm 220 lbs and 6'4", and I need to drop a few pounds. I have also lifted weights for decades. And I don't look like any of those guys you mentioned.

It is not clear what you are asking. Your title asks if your body is better because you jog and run every day. And then you end by asking for tips.

First, anyone who states they jog and run every day is not a serious runner. You didn't say how far you run and at what paces. But anything is better than nothing.

Ditto for your exercises. They are better than nothing. They will slow down the aging process a little but it is not nearly enough to make any changes. You need to lift weights to do that.

My tip is you need to get a little more serious about exercising. My suggestion is to find a gym and start lifting three days a week. I would continue running but cut back to 3-4 days a week. I would run for at least 40 minutes and each of those runs.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:17 PM

444 posts, read 324,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You are the only one who can define what kind of shape you want to be in. And keep in mind that everyone who doesn't lift weights says, "I don't want to get big muscles, I just want to get toned."

You say you have "A little bit of a pot belly, but not much." At "6ft and ~220lbs," I wonder if it is more than a "little bit of a pot belly." I'm saying that since I'm 220 lbs and 6'4", and I need to drop a few pounds. I have also lifted weights for decades. And I don't look like any of those guys you mentioned.

It is not clear what you are asking. Your title asks if your body is better because you jog and run every day. And then you end by asking for tips.

First, anyone who states they jog and run every day is not a serious runner. You didn't say how far you run and at what paces. But anything is better than nothing.

Ditto for your exercises. They are better than nothing. They will slow down the aging process a little but it is not nearly enough to make any changes. You need to lift weights to do that.

My tip is you need to get a little more serious about exercising. My suggestion is to find a gym and start lifting three days a week. I would continue running but cut back to 3-4 days a week. I would run for at least 40 minutes and each of those runs.
Well, thats fair. I exaggerated "upward," my weight is from about two months ago, and I was 212lbs. Im probably closer to 200lbs. I do better when I drink exclusively water.

I said 220lbs as an estimate... I havent been eating a lot, but the exercise has been sporadic. And yes, im asking for tips because I dont know! lol

Youre right... I think I need the gym. I feel like im good on cardio.. Im running 4 miles a day. Not at "all out" pace but, its not like an hour. Heat be damned. I really should have water for that, too.

Thanks for your insights.. youre pretty spot on! And I used to be fatter.. never fat, but never slim.

That said... my whole body is sore today so I must have begun to overdo it. Im still with pushups off the chair etc but i think my body is telling me to rest. And thats how I know im getting old... Young me would find what I am describing (40 push-ups, running trying to substitute a gym) ... pathetic.

I always thought gyms rip you off.......................

Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Well, running/jogging every single day is better than doing nothing I suppose, but if you want to be a REAL alpha male with a body your grand kids could be proud of, ditch the excess cardio, and start doing more weights.

Your joints especially your knees will thank you for it.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:58 PM

940 posts, read 968,995 times
Yes your body is better for it but it's more for a higher QOL. In other words doing everyday things should be easier, in fact this is how I look at exercising in general. The goal is to be able to allow you to better enjoy your everyday life to its fullest. Being overweight won't allow you to do so (IMO).

You're not going to look like Arnold. Even hitting the gym. A lot. It takes a lot of time, dedication, and food to "get big". My goal was similar to yours - become 'toned' and 'cut'.

Cardio is good but in limited quantities. Look at a sprinter vs a marathon runner. Sprinters are 'cut', marathon runners are 'skinny fat' as the term goes.

Here is a post I made about my weight loss (I'm mid 30's as well but am 5' 9").
Before and after with lab results and pics (2 years of weight loss)

Old 08-15-2016, 02:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,723 times
Jogging by itself will not help you build strength or be more toned. In order to build strength and be more toned resistance training is required along with an appropriate eating plan.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:29 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Good luck with jogging and running and getting to look fit and becoming strong.

Here's simple but very efficient suggestion. Study isometric exercise. You can get ripped with practically no equipment, with what you have in your apartment/house, doing isometrics. Running will give you healthy heart and lungs, isometrics will do the rest. Also, good thing about isometrics, they do not take much time per session. You simply can't, it hurts so much. And muscles burn out very fast.

200 jumps.... Yeahh.... When I'm at the gym, I do 9x12=108x3=324 reps for abs only. And it's not enough.

With understanding of principles of muscle contraction and how forces are applied, you can do practically all of these exercise at home, using furniture or even door jamb.

Jimmy Pena's Power Rack Training Series, Part 3: Isometrics

Old 08-15-2016, 04:35 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times
I jog and run every single day. Is my body better for it?

Your knees will give you the answer in a couple of years !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness