Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times

Advertisements

As already mentioned get into a strength training regiment. If you aren't interested in weights there is a lot of body weight stuff you can do, especially is you have access to local park that have pull up bars, parallel bars etc. Check out Al Kavadlo, he also has a huge Youtube channel with tons of body weight training videos

Al Kavadlo | A Leading expert in bodyweight strength training & calisthenics

Eat real "whole" foods as much as possible. I.E., fresh produce, meat, eggs, fish etc and avoid any prepared meals from a can, frozen aisle, take out, restaurants etc. Go for organic fruit and veggies, wild caught fish, grass fed beef and organic pastured chicken and eggs whenever you can afford it. Go to local farmers markets and see if you have local farms/ranches that sell produce, eggs and meat. But eating real food over processed will do a lot for health and also let's you control sodium much better. And avoid drinking calories. Drink water and black coffe/teas if you want caffeine

If you do nothing but that you'll be in much better health then 90% of Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 05:00 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But powders are not real food. I'd suggested the vegetarian basics of eggs, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt, beans and lentils, tofu, etc.
Whey and casein are simply the isolated proteins milk. They're the best quality proteins and the easiest way to ensure adequate protein intake.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:24 AM

10,353 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The grill should be reduced to an occasional indulgence.
I have to disagree with that. If hubby enjoys grilling, why not take advantage of that fact? Grilling isn't just for burgers and steaks! It can be a great way to prepare chicken and fish, and a wide variety of veggies as well. Why not get some grilling baskets and kebab skewers and start experimenting with healthy grilled choices?

Old 09-20-2016, 07:46 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I have to disagree with that. If hubby enjoys grilling, why not take advantage of that fact? Grilling isn't just for burgers and steaks! It can be a great way to prepare chicken and fish, and a wide variety of veggies as well. Why not get some grilling baskets and kebab skewers and start experimenting with healthy grilled choices?
Technically you are quite right, you can cook all around healthy meals on grills. But in my observation, meat dominates the process and often with little regard to charring/blackening which can be carcinogenic especially on red meat.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Technically you are quite right, you can cook all around healthy meals on grills. But in my observation, meat dominates the process and often with little regard to charring/blackening which can be carcinogenic especially on red meat.
This. Grilled meat equals carcinogens. Not the worst thing you can eat but probably not a good idea to eat a lot of grilled food. But that also goes for things seared in a frying pan. Read up on Japanese culture's almost non existent rate of stomach and intestinal cancer that has been linked to the fact that they historically didn't eat food that was grilled/seared

As for meat, I think a healthy human diet should have good amounts of it but opt for grass fed beef and pastured chicken and pork when you can. We were designed to eat meat but most people only eat sick commercially raised animals which isn't healthy

Old 09-20-2016, 11:02 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
This. Grilled meat equals carcinogens. Not the worst thing you can eat but probably not a good idea to eat a lot of grilled food. But that also goes for things seared in a frying pan. Read up on Japanese culture's almost non existent rate of stomach and intestinal cancer that has been linked to the fact that they historically didn't eat food that was grilled/seared

As for meat, I think a healthy human diet should have good amounts of it but opt for grass fed beef and pastured chicken and pork when you can. We were designed to eat meat but most people only eat sick commercially raised animals which isn't healthy
We were designed to eat very little meat. Carnivores are designed to eat meat.

If we were designed to eat meat, out teeth would look like the teeth of carnivores:

Old 09-20-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
We were designed to eat very little meat. Carnivores are designed to eat meat.

If we were designed to eat meat, out teeth would look like the teeth of carnivores:
We are intelligent and learned to use tools early on so we don't need teeth of a carnivore.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:20 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Quote:
We are intelligent and learned to use tools early on so we don't need teeth of a carnivore.
Our teeth evolved long before we learned to use tools. The teeth tell the story of what we evolved to eat.

We also developed the tools to make junk food. That doesn't mean we were meant to eat it or that it is healthy to do so.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM

10,353 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Read up on Japanese culture's almost non existent rate of stomach and intestinal cancer that has been linked to the fact that they historically didn't eat food that was grilled/seared
Actually Japan has one of the highest rates of gastric cancer in the world. (Low colon cancer rate, though.) And the traditional Japanese diet is suspected of playing an important role in their high stomach cancer rate. Stomach cancer statistics | World Cancer Research Fund International

Old 09-24-2016, 08:32 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Yes I agree I do think I'm underweight.

You neither look nor are underweight. Healthy weight for a 5'1" woman is 100 lbs. to 131 lbs. Healthy weight for a 5'2" woman is 104 lbs. to 135 lbs.

I would not deliberately try to put on weight if I were you. The metabolism has a sneaky way of slowing down naturally between the mid 20s and early 30s. You are young, you eat right, and you are trim. There is nothing wrong with you. Sometimes I think Americans have a distorted idea of what is healthy because so many people here are overweight that when someone is a normal weight they think the person is too thin.

About your husband, those packaged foods are death. 1100 mg of salt in one meal?

If you do the cooking you have a way of at least controlling one meal a little bit. You would have to cook things that are very filling and full of flavor. I am vegetarian and have had a partner who ate meat but he loved when I cooked because I made dishes that were healthy but heavy, things like Mexican food or Indian food. The vegetarian forum on this site has a recipe thread. Maybe you can find ideas there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness