Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:24 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times

Advertisements

Do you wash your hands after using the restroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 12:26 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
If the top of your complaints list starts with people cleaning ANYTHING too much, you're doing OK.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:27 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I will amend that people who sweat profusely should wipe off the equipment. Leaving visible fluid residue is in fact gross. It is not necessary for me to wipe anything off the machines or weights as when I am finished with them, they are dry.

Sounds like you need to work harder...

Old 09-29-2016, 12:38 PM

903 posts, read 583,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Some people who are not even remotely close to sweating insist on wiping every machine after every set - and more annoyingly, glare at you if YOU DON'T. They run over to the spray bottle and paper towels, and wipe, wipe, wipe. I'm getting sick of it. For the record: I am not wiping anything ever. I am not the gym janitor. If you can't stand getting a little sweat on you in a gym, STAY HOME!
I guess it depends on what equipment we are talking about. If we are talking about treadmills, bikes, etc, then I think you should wipe it down after use. You've probably donated a significant amount of sweat to the equipment.

If we are talking about a set of curls, then probably not. But if you are at the end of your workout and you leave a sweaty mess on one of the weight machines, then clean up after yourself. It is the courteous thing to do.

cd :O)

Old 09-29-2016, 12:42 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
I guess it depends on what equipment we are talking about. If we are talking about treadmills, bikes, etc, then I think you should wipe it down after use. You've probably donated a significant amount of sweat to the equipment.

If we are talking about a set of curls, then probably not. But if you are at the end of your workout and you leave a sweaty mess on one of the weight machines, then clean up after yourself. It is the courteous thing to do.

cd :O)
But GOD it just makes me so MAD when people do courteous things for me!!

Old 09-29-2016, 12:56 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
You'd hate my Pure Barre class... they drop disposable wipes off next to everyone right before the end of class so we can wipe down our equipment (mat, band, ball) before putting it away.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:57 PM

258 posts, read 299,639 times
I consider it, at the very least, a polite gesture to wipe down a machine. I mean really, how difficult or time consuming is it? If your gym provides the towels and spray, the expectation is that you use them every single time you use a different machine, regardless of the amount of sweat and exertion you spend on it. And it's not just lots of sweat.... people wipe their noses and their mouths. Not wiping down a machine is tantamount to giving me a handshake after picking a boog or wiping your butt. I don't need your cooties, bro.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:22 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Not a problem for me because:

1. I never use indoor equipment that has a bench or seat.

2. I don't sweat when I'm in a gym. I do that when I'm outside running, pedaling or paddling.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:25 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Not a problem for me because:

1. I never use indoor equipment that has a bench or seat.

2. I don't sweat when I'm in a gym. I do that when I'm outside running, pedaling or paddling.

Thanks! I was really worried about you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2016, 06:01 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
I consider it, at the very least, a polite gesture to wipe down a machine. I mean really, how difficult or time consuming is it? If your gym provides the towels and spray, the expectation is that you use them every single time you use a different machine, regardless of the amount of sweat and exertion you spend on it. And it's not just lots of sweat.... people wipe their noses and their mouths. Not wiping down a machine is tantamount to giving me a handshake after picking a boog or wiping your butt. I don't need your cooties, bro.
Not happening, at least not with me. I will go, do my reps, then I leave. That's my final word on the matter. If you don't like it, then work out at home. You accept a certain level of contact with pathogens when you join a public gym. That's reality, that's the way it is, and that's the way it will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness