Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What prevents you from going to the gym, or getting a good workout while at the gym?
Not sure what workouts to do when I am at the gym. 9 13.85%
I don't have enough time. 15 23.08%
Feel insecure about having other people watch me 11 16.92%
I don't have a spotter 1 1.54%
I am always too tired to workout 4 6.15%
Exercise is boring 20 30.77%
I have no motivation to workout 19 29.23%
Other 22 33.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 12:22 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Why don't I go to the gym?

7} I have two bad shoulders. {had the right one operated on a year and a half ago, but the results are better than it was, but still dismal, having the left one operated on later this month-at least I will be able to move it more freely, but like the right one may return better than it was results but still dismal results.}

I literally feel your shoulder pain. I had shoulder surgery on both shouders in 2008 and 2009 for multiple dislocations. I have developed the problem in my left one again, so, back under the surgeon's knife I go come November, followed by a month of constant sling time and 12 weeks of physical therapy I stopped exercising but it made me feel lousy, so I'm just doing lower body exercises now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 01:53 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
With work and two kids, I simply don't have time to go to a gym. I wish I could find the time. I think I would be more disciplined working out if I went to a gym.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:55 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times
1. Nasty. MRSA for one. Did that once. Not again.
2. Rather exercise at home when I exercise. Cost effective.
3. Cost. And also the contracts they want you to sign.
4. Too far to get there. No pool.
5. Too noisy. The yelling and grunting are obnoxious. There is always one.
6. Beer closer at home.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:27 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I'm lazy. That's it, pure and simple. I'm old, too. Rapidly approaching 75, with COPD, shoulder pain, knee pain, and hip pain.
It means nothing to me that I could die weighing 180 instead of 240. Nobody except my pall bearers will care!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
Husband and I just renewed at the YMCA. We've been walking 3-4 times a week for an hour. But with winter coming we figured we better get back inside. I like to swim a couple days a week so it's all good.

$66 a month for two bites a bit tho.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:31 PM

343 posts, read 316,782 times
I do not go because: Boring, music being played sucks, i don't know anyone and/or lack of people in my age range (mid-late 20s), i hate using machines (makes me feel like a robot), the machines themselves are intimidating, not enough space to work out, i don't like the way the atmosphere looks...i just don't feel good when im there, i mean, im just stuck with a 'why am i here, can i go home yet?' feeling. Gyms just don't do it for me...id rather not go at all, than blow $$$ away on a membership im not even going to use or be a "gym rat".

I also do not like how 'limited' the gym is in itself as a space for people to 'work out'. Gyms come off as and are always being portrayed as the only place and space a person should be allowed to work out. Isn't that weird? I mean think about it: although you are not confined against your will there, you are still being stuck inside some building that is overcrowded with other gym-goers, workout machines, loud noises, various other exercise equipment, and a trainer who is yelling at you to do things, it just does not feel very natural. I mean it could be a beautiful day outside to go for a walk, and you end up making yourself stay inside the gym to work out because for some reason, that is supposed to be better for you than that walk outside (or whatever other exercises you could do outside) while getting some sun and fresh air at the same time! Even if it was raining I still would not go to a gym, i would pop in a yoga video in the privacy of my own home and get a workout that way.

The only thing gyms have that I like are the classes they offer like yoga, kickboxing, or zumba, etc. but i feel it is still not worth going. To each their own though!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
I went everyday until last December when I travelled to a very important meeting and then got sick for three weeks and decided to move back to my home state... never went back. Just joined a gym opening soon because the 1.6 miles I walk a day doesn't do much. I don't sweat much.
It takes time away from my son, but I am able to do more with him (hike, play catch, bat etc.) because I am in better shape. Wish me luck...

Old 10-03-2016, 04:26 AM

586 posts, read 830,996 times
I don't like Gyms.

I run with the dog and workout in the countryside. There's a 'public' assault course in a forest near me constructed by the local government mostly from wood/logs with some steel. Ropes, Walls, monkey-bars stuff like that, it takes about an hour to do from start to finish and your exhausted by the end. You get people that will miss out one or two things, you get couples and families doing it, social groups all sorts. People get muddy/dusty, tired, exhausted and they laugh, they have fun and people help one another.

So much more fun than a gym.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:22 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
I work 2 jobs and have small children to tend to, so my time is limited and any free time I have I want to spend with my family, not at a gym.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
I had a gym membership twice in my life and never went.

First, I must shower every morning, and must shower after working out. So for me I need to work out first thing in the morning and then get ready for work. I have workout equipment in my basement that I use daily. As it is I get up at 5:00, work out for 30 minutes, shower and get ready and am out the door at 6:15. If I went to the gym I'd have to get up much earlier, then drive to the gym, find a parking spot, work out (all the while battling for equipment time), then towel off enough to get to the car (in cold/bad weather this is a pain), drive back home, shower and then get ready (I hate showering at the gym). The truth is all of that takes too much time and is just not worth it considering I get a great workout at home now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness