Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What prevents you from going to the gym, or getting a good workout while at the gym?
Not sure what workouts to do when I am at the gym. 9 13.85%
I don't have enough time. 15 23.08%
Feel insecure about having other people watch me 11 16.92%
I don't have a spotter 1 1.54%
I am always too tired to workout 4 6.15%
Exercise is boring 20 30.77%
I have no motivation to workout 19 29.23%
Other 22 33.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 08:23 AM

251 posts, read 168,806 times

Advertisements

I use a home gym that includes a set of Olympic

bumper plates.

I also am a life long cyclist and runner,

I enjoy it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 08:27 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I've spent years (decades) in the military working out and staying fit. Sort of burnt out on it. I know I need to get back into it particularly as I'm nearing retirement age. My body needs to be fit. Also, in the past week I climbed on one roof 3 times, access being straight up ladders from ground level to the top of the 3rd floor. I had no trouble - my weight is good. But MAN was I sore in a day or two!

Also I don't enjoy the gym but will go grudgingly. I enjoy running outside and my other half doesn't want to give in, not even once a week on that so... no motivation.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:14 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
For me it is time management and prioritizing what sometimes keeps me from exercising. In reality there are no excuses, simply poor time management and poor prioritizing. I am back on exercise mode and only a major injury sill keep me from continuing. I have a shoulder injury but I am still pushing through with some caution. It is a matter of willpower and priority. If there is time for tv or happy hour or being on the internet looking at facebook or reading junk emails and things like that then there is time for exercise.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:15 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm surprised you didn't have "cost" in your choices, since millions of people can't afford to join a gym. However, exercising at home is free. A gym, while enjoyable, is totally unnecessary.
I don't agree. Even exercising at home costs something. If one argues that you can walk outside or do YouTube videos, you need a set of decent running/walking shoes for that. If you really want a good workout, you need some sort of equipment at home, although minimal. I have a set of dumbbells, kettlebells, exercise mat, treadmill, exercise bike, and home DVDs. However, over time, working out at home does cost much less than even the cheapest gym, assuming you don't keep buying equipment.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:22 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm surprised you didn't have "cost" in your choices, since millions of people can't afford to join a gym. However, exercising at home is free. A gym, while enjoyable, is totally unnecessary.
Well depending on your fitness goals this can be either true or untrue. In all fairness yes you can do a tremendous workout at home with things you already have around the house and if you are good with power tools and have some scrap wood laying around then boy oh boy the things you can accomplish.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:36 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I clicked on "other" for an option because the gym I joined in the spring was just too far but it was my only option until July when a gym opened up a mile away. I found myself dreading going to the gym because of the drive which will get even worse when our season starts soon. I joined the new gym yesterday and I will go three days a week.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:29 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I hate hate hate the boredom. The only thing that interests me in a gym is the pool, but that even has it's disadvantages. I don't want to see ugly naked bodies running around the locker room. Ugh! I had enough of that when I was in health care.

I would much rather do a two or three hour bike ride into the the wee hours of the morning on a sultry summer night. I have a stationary bike and a good stereo for the winter months. I would rather do two hours of roller skating, an hour and a half of ice skating and two or three hours of solid skiing in the winter every week instead of going to a germ infested dirty gym.

Oh I forgot the hour of dog walkies a couple of times a week, and the many projects we do around the house. There are many ways to be active without spending a ton of money on a gym membership.

Come on blizzard. I'm in the mood to shovel snow for hours.

I guess the best part of exercising at home is when you get too hot you can always do it topless. Yeah try that at a gym.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,846 times
These are great responses! Thanks for the responses so far. Keep em coming please

Old 10-01-2016, 02:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Did the gym for a couple years until our kids came along. But with the current job, and raising kids, there just isn't time. For the past 20 years our life has been get up, get the kids off to school, go to work, come home, get the kids to baseball/softball/soccer/basketball/track/swimming/Scouts/other, fix supper, clean house, collapse, do it all again. Now that the kids are driving or heading off to college we're finally getting some time back to do other things.
That sounds grueling. But wouldn't it have been easier while the kids were in grade school? Little grade school kids don't usually to track or basketball or other team sports. Cub scouts, maybe.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
I go to gym on a regular basis but I don't expect the same from everyone else. We all have different priorities in life and not to mention we all have factors that affect how much spare time we have. Some people just simply don't have the time and I would never tell someone to make the time because I don't live in his/her shoes.

For instance I don't have kids so that right there is a bunch of free time compared to parents. My commute to work is shorter than the average person and I work 8.5 hours compared to some who do 10-12 hours a day, not counting the commute! Also my work is not physically demanding as others so I have the energy to workout. It's definitely harder to workout when you are a 40+ in a grueling labor trade opposed to a white collar atmosphere.

I think everyone would benefit from physical activity but legitimate factors are at play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness