Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What prevents you from going to the gym, or getting a good workout while at the gym?
Not sure what workouts to do when I am at the gym. 9 13.85%
I don't have enough time. 15 23.08%
Feel insecure about having other people watch me 11 16.92%
I don't have a spotter 1 1.54%
I am always too tired to workout 4 6.15%
Exercise is boring 20 30.77%
I have no motivation to workout 19 29.23%
Other 22 33.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,835 times

Advertisements

I am looking to see what kinds of things prevent people from going to the gym, and/or getting a good workout while at the gym. I want to find the common issues that people have to see if something I have been working on may be able to help, and tweak it to help even more. So, what kinds of things prevent you from going to the gym or getting a good workout? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,950,608 times
That's easy. I hate being all sweaty and having to shower and do my hair/makeup all over again. It's not just the workout time, it's taking the time to be presentable again. It's a handy excuse! I do find myself planning and trying to do mine at the end of the day so I can just shower and go home. If I do that I have no social life. If I try to make myself get up at O DARK-Thirty to work out, I hate my whole life because I have always despised getting up early and going to bed early. Then again, I have no social life because I have to go to bed at 9PM.

I have said for decades, the hardest part of working out is the first step out the door!

Old 09-30-2016, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 3,835 times
I really like that statement at the end. It really gets a lot easier once you get out the door. Thanks for your response!

Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,180,685 times
I'm that was too - it's the before and after I despise.

I'm a huge swimmer, and I do three kinds of it. But I hate that it messes with my hair and it is such a long process to change and get the gear on, then the long female shower after, going home with wet hair and damp clothes and so on. Blech! Then wet stuff at home, I hate it.

I often just don't want to be wet or be damp.

If I do other exercise I find it boring and tedious, as well as causing "pain" or bodily discomfort; I have more trouble with this the older I get.

I also hate being sweaty.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:31 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,200,451 times
Work, school, and all of the time-consuming responsibilities that come with having children. Hence, I workout at home.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:37 PM

29,675 posts, read 34,195,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

I have said for decades, the hardest part of working out is the first step out the door!
Unless you work out at home, then you don't have to go anywhere. If I had to go to a gym, I'd never work out.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:54 PM

7,673 posts, read 5,400,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Unless you work out at home, then you don't have to go anywhere. If I had to go to a gym, I'd never work out.
I have a lot of equipment ready to start a great dedicated home gym, including two Concept 2 rowers, a treadmill and mat, a stationery bike, a racked set of weights, bands, balls, thick and thin exercise mats, large balls, etc., but frankly this house is too small. We're hoping to find a new home in the next six months and have a dedicated home gym, including a dancing area and mirror as well as a hip adductor/hip abductor, leg curl, triceps machine, etc. if there's room.

But here we can hardly turn around without bumping into each other, so it's a forthcoming reality to a current dream.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 PM

13,440 posts, read 15,390,318 times
I go to the gym - but at a cost. I lose precious time I could be spending with my kids. I don't really like that but I really have no choice. My commutes are long, I work outside of the home, and rarely take a lunch hour. So after work is the only solution.

So my "excuse" would be "want family time"/"I don't have the time." Maybe followed up with "exercise is boring". That's been remedied though by taking up weights.

"distance to gym" is another.

"tired" is another.

Tried the home gym thing and that was a fail. So I do what works for me...but I don't like giving up family time.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:42 PM

189 posts, read 175,636 times
I don't go to gyms because I don't know what exercises I should be doing or whether I'm doing them right. I feel embarrassed being there because I'm too skinny and awkward looking, my clothes don't look like cool gym clothes other people wear, and I feel weird about the whole 'wipe the equipment' thing.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:18 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,605,023 times
A gym is irrelevant. Today I moved a cord of firewood into the wood shed. I have 4 more cords to go, and a bunch to cut and split. Walking the dogs up and down hill twice a day is plenty of cardio. Last week I did a concrete pour and built a pump house on top of it, followed by plumbing the water system, hauling dirt and leveling the yard for a new lawn area, and digging out a water feature to repair a leak. I'm 70 years old, and feel like I get plenty of exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness