Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times

Advertisements

I just do cardio on the elliptical at a higher level, kills 2 birds at 1 time, then a few body-weight push-ups and sit ups and outta there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydreams View Post
All these years of doing it because I thought I had to, because I thought more people including girls would like me, because I thought I had to be physically strong to be a man. I busted my ass in the gym in and out. Spent hundreds if not thousands of dollars on food, protein powders, supplements, gym memberships, and for what? If you saw me in a shirt, you would laugh at my face if I told you I lift weights. Bodybuilding requires a huge amount of work with minimal reward.

It is the most unfair hobby ever, because how good your results are, have everything to do with your hormonal makeup and genetics and little to do with hard work. Of course, people who have an easy time building muscle, will always claim is all hard work. It is easier on the ego to believe that a man has obtained something, because of something he did, rather than something he is. It doesn't help the fact that so many guys are on steroids nowadays. You'd be surprised. I've met people who I had no clue they were on them. They blatantly tell you their steroid stack. If anything, coming to this epiphany, makes me want to use steroids myself. I'm sick and tired of doing everything in my power, yet not seeing the results that I want, while other people do.

Yes, I saw some results, but for all the work and money I invested, is pathetic. Such a waste of time. And for what? It's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose. Muscles are not needed, especially in today's society where the intellect and money reign supreme.

This crap has lowered my self esteem, because you can only cope so much. It destroys your from the inside, because you know you have acquired the knowledge, you know you are doing everything right, you are doing the same routines and following similar diets as those guys, yet you have nothing to show for it. It eats you inside and makes you bitter, because you cannot obtain what they have.

At least, with cars and money, if you work hard enough, save money, use credit, you can obtain them. You may not have a Ferrari or a 5 million dollar house, but most people don't. You can still get something nice.
I'm in my mid 40's been a gym rat all my life and have what one might call a 80% bodybuilder's body. And while it is true, SOME women are into that, the vast majority are either not, or could take it or leave it. Women do want a guy fit, but not muscle bound. Trust me on this. It's one reason I went to building more lean muscle mass and left behind the days of bulking up. The smart nerdy guy who carries himself with confidence, gets just as much action as any bodybuilder does. Women do not all universally like the same things.

As for not building muscle as fast as many, that is usually hormonal based. If your testosterone is low (and it can be low at any age) you can workout until you pass out 7 days a week and your gains will be minimal. I would suggest having it checked. there are things you can do to raise it.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:37 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Of course it's self-serving. Who else is it supposed to serve other than the person doing it? Same goes for any exercise routine. Whether it's a waste of time depends on how and why you're doing it.
LOL, bingo.

OP: You were doing it for the wrong reason and if you didn't get the right results (i.e., got stronger), you were doing it the wrong way.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
lol if you think this stuff matters. There was a guy who got into shape eating pizza every day (though be probably roided).

Because he was tracking his macros and making sure he ate what he needed to.

Also, he didn't "get into shape", he was already in shape, he stayed in shape, despite eating a large pizza every day for something like 220 days in a row.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,983,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I guarantee your diet is not in check. What are your macros? Are you cutting? Bulking? What are your goals? Are you running a 40 40 20?
Well it does matter. I was working out for years. I did not gain much muscle. Then I took a look at my diet. I calculated my macros. Then I decided to bulk. I was eating 3000k calories, 300 g protein , 150g fat, and 300 g carbs...

I gained some good weight and muscle and managed to keep it. It takes calories, and nutrients to gain muscle. Even if you take steroids.... Steroids don't magically turn you into a gym god.. you actually have to work..

Genetics also play a big role.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM

473 posts, read 501,693 times
I'm sorry for your frustration. However I strongly disagree if you have ANY weight to lose. Even one set of heavy weights lifted twice a week WILL double your rate of weight loss because you are increasing muscle mass and help you maintain goal weight. Is SO much better for female as it allows female to eat about 1600-1800 calories daily during a diet and still lose weight if she is an exerciser of 45 minutes of cardio daily. NO more 1200 calorie bird feeding for female to lose weight. No more starving....No gimmicks. Can pretty much just exercise and eat normal portion of anything you want (not fried or potatoes) and weight melts.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:11 AM

465 posts, read 418,082 times
OP what grade are you in

Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
Is SO much better for female as it allows female to eat about 1600-1800 calories daily during a diet and still lose weight if she is an exerciser of 45 minutes of cardio daily. NO more 1200 calorie bird feeding for female to lose weight.
I feel sorry for women every time I hear something like this. 16-1800 calories? Really?

And here I was feeling I have it tough with my 2700 calories a day diet :/

Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
I'm sorry for your frustration. However I strongly disagree if you have ANY weight to lose. Even one set of heavy weights lifted twice a week WILL double your rate of weight loss because you are increasing muscle mass and help you maintain goal weight. Is SO much better for female as it allows female to eat about 1600-1800 calories daily during a diet and still lose weight if she is an exerciser of 45 minutes of cardio daily. NO more 1200 calorie bird feeding for female to lose weight. No more starving....No gimmicks. Can pretty much just exercise and eat normal portion of anything you want (not fried or potatoes) and weight melts.
Yes, yes, yes! This is my story. Better to exercise and eat then be hungry and grumpy all the time.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:25 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,797 times
As a former bodybuilder myself I can tell you a few things. One, without the drugs you are going nowhere!!! If you want to look like a bodybuilder, that is. As time goes on you will have to increase the amount of drugs you take. Because over time your body builds up a tolerance to them, like any other drug. These cost money. Also, you will have to eat large quantities of food in order to grow. Ballpark of around 5,000 calories a day, 400-500 grams of protein. This can't be sh*t food either. Lots of chicken, beef, fish, pasta, rice, eggs. Food also costs money. You must "live the life." Meaning your life revolves around eating, (every 3 hours), and training. As you can see where I'm going with this bodybuilding is a very very very selfish and costly endevour, both in time and money. You can't live the same life as most other people do. Some friends may be getting together for cocktails after work but you can't because you have to train and eat. Since you need a certain amount and kind of food everyday you carry a big ass cooler with you everywhere so you can have all of your meals. This OP is what it takes. The ads that claim you take this supplement or this protein bar and you will look like the person in the ad are bullsh*t. Because the dude in the ad is doing what I just described above to look like that.

One more thing, you should be lifting for YOU and nobody else!!! If you are lifting to pick up women most women that I've met or known or genuine women don't give a damn about a man's muscles. Bodybuilding cost me a couple of relationships, (I couldn't see it at the time),. If a girl is with you BECAUSE your muscles she's fake, superficial, and will most likely leave you should you lose any of that muscle mass. Why would you want to be with a girl that doesn't like you for YOU? Trust me I learned the hard way on this!

That's my advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness