Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 12:16 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
True but this issue has happened before to me. I end cutting too many calories and eating a little too healthy. Most of the meals I eat are under 700 calories. I could lose weight on my diet alone. I think the added activities just burn too much and the next day I feel weaker than before. Plus ive been drinking matcha green tea which just shoots your metabolism into the stratosphere. I'm prolly losing weight too fast.
Yeah, prolly .

Just cut out the hiking and you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Track EVERYTHING you eat.

I just got back from a 2 hour walk where I covered 8.5 miles. My pace was an average of 4 mph, with slowest at 3.8 mph and fastest at 4.2 mph. Felt zero need to eat anything while I was walking.

Before I left, I had 2 bullet proof coffees (made with coconut oil) and some salted water. Once I got back, I had 1/4 cup almonds, and now I am going to cook up some eggs in butter and some cauliflower with parm cheese.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:46 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
My calculator indicates that you should calculate 95 calories burned per mile. 8.5 miles is almost 800 calories at your pace. The food you're eating sounds really low calorie. Coffee, cup of almonds, eggs and cauliflower? I mean I get don't eat back what you burned but doesn't the body burn something like 1200 calories naturally without exercise? Just everyday movement?

Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Hi guys I'm thinking about adding hiking to my regiment because I've heard it burns fat and calories like no other exercise. I'm still curious as to what terrain is appropriate to be considered hiking terrain. I'm going a park called Fryman in Los Angeles if anyone is familiar but it's a decent sized hill and seems like a good hike if anyone wants to Google it.

Now I want to hike 2 hours per day, three times a week with a ten pound pack. But do hikers eat before or on the trail or both? I'm thinking a big French bread sandwich to carb load, hit the trail drink plenty of water, no? Perhaps oatmeal or quinoa? I just don't want to undereat or overeat and just maintain my present body fat.

Any hikers in here? Advice plz
How fit are you currently?
How much hiking experience do you have? (Sounds like very little)
Why are you bringing a 10lb pack for day hikes?

Using the assumptions given in the OP I would suggest you going a trail club for the first couple of outings. Otherwise you picked a good park to start. It is a loop, so easier to avoid getting lost.

Make sure you bring a good amount of water (I bring at least 2L on afternoon hikes), jacket, minifirst aid kit (mine fits in an altoid box), moleskin just in case, a fully charged phone, and a knife.

In terms of eating, I typically have my normal afternoon snack of plain yogurt, fruit and granola mixed in.

And really, really important, look around. Hiking maybe good exercise, but those of us who are regular hikers do it because we like the scenary and being outside even more than tracking calories or whatever.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How much hiking experience do you have? (Sounds like very little)
Why are you bringing a 10lb pack for day hikes?

Using the assumptions given in the OP I would suggest you going a trail club for the first couple of outings. Otherwise you picked a good park to start. It is a loop, so easier to avoid getting lost.

Make sure you bring a good amount of water (I bring at least 2L on afternoon hikes), jacket, minifirst aid kit (mine fits in an altoid box), moleskin just in case, a fully charged phone, and a knife.

In terms of eating, I typically have my normal afternoon snack of plain yogurt, fruit and granola mixed in.

And really, really important, look around. Hiking maybe good exercise, but those of us who are regular hikers do it because we like the scenary and being outside even more than tracking calories or whatever.

Average. I have some muscle definition from previous workouts in the past but nothing defined.

How much hiking experience do you have? None.

Why are you bringing a 10lb pack for day hikes? I thought more weight would increase calories burned.

I also prefer to be outdoors to being on a treadmill. I love the serenity of walking/hiking outside. I used to lose a lot of weight just power walking around the city. I was just hoping hiking up a small mountain would be more efficient at losing weight.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:43 PM

619 posts, read 575,367 times
Quote:
True but this issue has happened before to me. I end cutting too many calories and eating a little too healthy. Most of the meals I eat are under 700 calories. I could lose weight on my diet alone. I think the added activities just burn too much and the next day I feel weaker than before. Plus ive been drinking matcha green tea which just shoots your metabolism into the stratosphere. I'm prolly losing weight too fast.
Most of the *meals* are under 700 cals? close to 700 is a lot of calories for a meal, unles you are a serious weight lifter/marathoner etc. I do exercise daily, some days more than others, but my lunch and dinner are generally in the 300-400 cals, breakfast a little less, and a few snacks (about 50-100 each), and i've been losing steadily and slowly (some plateaus but generally steady weigh loss/strengthening).

And I don't really buy that "green tea shoots your metabolism into the stratosphere".

I think you are doing what i end up doing - you are over thinking and over analyzing this. if you aren't losing weight at a good pace, then you need to look at what you're eating. and alos, you need to make sure you are drinking plenty of water during and especially after exercise. that should help with the feeling weak. I'm not afitness expert and i don't know what level of fitness you are currently at, but I don't believe that the hike you described (one hour /3 mile hike) is burning "too many calories".

Old 10-16-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
Most of the *meals* are under 700 cals? close to 700 is a lot of calories for a meal, unles you are a serious weight lifter/marathoner etc. I do exercise daily, some days more than others, but my lunch and dinner are generally in the 300-400 cals, breakfast a little less, and a few snacks (about 50-100 each), and i've been losing steadily and slowly (some plateaus but generally steady weigh loss/strengthening).

And I don't really buy that "green tea shoots your metabolism into the stratosphere".

I think you are doing what i end up doing - you are over thinking and over analyzing this. if you aren't losing weight at a good pace, then you need to look at what you're eating. and alos, you need to make sure you are drinking plenty of water during and especially after exercise. that should help with the feeling weak. I'm not afitness expert and i don't know what level of fitness you are currently at, but I don't believe that the hike you described (one hour /3 mile hike) is burning "too many calories".
I am very active, each day I am exercising some part of my body. I do body exercises, weighted push ups, ab wheel, pull ups, and dips. The next day I go out for a jog/walk. After that I go to the gym and do incline press, bench press, curls, and work my back. Then I want to start hiking two hours every other day instead.

I've just been eating too little actually. And the type of green tea I drink is called matcha. It's a powdered highly concentrated form of green tea. It will boost metabolism no doubt.

I was very hungry and weak today and gave into some pizza that my coworker bought. I had two slices and felt a lot better. Usually that pizza will bloat me for a long time but it went away in no time. I didn't feel sluggish either. I've only been doing these exercises a little under a month but have seen some improvement.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:20 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
I'm doing weights at the gym and hiking for cardio. I'm trying to balance losing fat with building muscle. That's gonna be hard. From the three mile hike I feel a bit weak today. I don't know if it's from not enough water or the low calorie meals I've eaten lately. All I ate yesterday was a bowl of oatmeal mixed with almonds, Greek yogurt and raisins, then I had a cliff bar on the hike and last for dinner I had salmon, rice and beans. All that had to add up to less than 1600 calories plus I was burning 381 calories hiking. I think I'm undereating again especially since the last two days before I was at the gym lifting weights. I think I might need to up my calories if I'm doing all these activities.
Oh my. No, you are NOT undereating. Sheesh!! If you are trying to lose weight, stop trying to eat so much food!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:24 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
My calculator indicates that you should calculate 95 calories burned per mile. 8.5 miles is almost 800 calories at your pace. The food you're eating sounds really low calorie. Coffee, cup of almonds, eggs and cauliflower? I mean I get don't eat back what you burned but doesn't the body burn something like 1200 calories naturally without exercise? Just everyday movement?
Hell no. I eat about 1200 calories a day...just to maintain my weight. And I am very active. Old, , but active. I've never ever been able to eat much more than 1500 a day without gaining.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh my. No, you are NOT undereating. Sheesh!! If you are trying to lose weight, stop trying to eat so much food!
What the? I'm 190lbs 5'11 male. That's a lot of food? For all the activities I'm not undereating? Wow. Then maybe I'm just dehydrated LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness