Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 AM

1,478 posts, read 787,855 times

Advertisements

If you have the extra money to afford it I would pay a competent and proven professional in weightlifting and nutritional world to advise and follow you along your path.

I'm no expert.

I got a paper with calculations for gaining and losing weight from a nutrionist before.

I'm not going to type up all those formulas here. However, I will just assume a weight goal of 200 pints for you and provide the final calculations for you.

You must exercise at least 3 times a week for more than 30 minutes, though. I would do between 12 to 15 reps. Really, for people with very fast metabolisms like you and I would do between 15 and 20. But do at least 12.

You must work your legs and back too. That means squats and deadlifts.

But here are my calculations per day for you:

Calories: 3,100

Fat: 103

Carbohydrates: 388

Protein: 155

I had different calculations for myself for a different weight gain goal. But following this formula and working out (hard) two times a day, I gained about 10 pounds of muscle over 3 months. Not awe shocking gains but it was 10 pounds more muscle I had before I started 3 months prior to that. So, follow this, and I'm confident you will each month make at least some slight gains. There are probably better and faster ways to achieve all this if you can be guided by a more experienced and knowledgeable person than myself. But if you don't have those people at least you have this little info to get started.

Psychologically: I regarded my eating and exercise as my job. Not just a recreation. Thinking that way helped me saddle up to do the rating when I hated to eat. Yeah, I felt like vomiting at times, but I just slowed down my eating process and ate slower with smaller bites.

Plus, try not to eat huge meals, but rather spread them and your snacks out further into smaller portions.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 09:30 AM

638 posts, read 977,732 times
I have been this under weight for 32 years of my life. I have never peaked over 143lbs and have never gone under 125lbs since about 7th grade. My dad was underweight his life until he got into his 40s and now he has put on some fat. I am going to give this eating and working out another shot and keep you all posted. I am going to start in December because I am still recovering from septum surgery and am very stuffed up.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
OP still needs a doctor to rule out a number of illnesses that could cause damage or death without proper treatment. If it is truly something the doctor doesn't help with, then fine. But could you live with yourself if you suggested alternative medicine and it turned out that OP has cancer?
Absolutely! I recommended he see a doctor first (in previous post), but if they tell him they can't help him and have no one to refer him to, he'll have to do his own search.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,431 times
"tend to throw up easily" .....

Specifically, you should go see a psychiatrist. Your body is likely doing all that it should - at 6'4" 125 your body should not be getting rid of food - stay at 2500-3000 a day and don't worry about your body 'flushing it out' - it needs those calories more than you think. And don't eat bad food. Eat whole, real food - vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and some meat and fish. If it's in the aisle of the grocery store 4 times out of 5 your body doesn't need it. Stay on the perimeter.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:31 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
Are you also working out during the times you are eating more? Specifically, lifting weights? I didn't see that, but maybe I missed it. I'm 5'10" and was skinny my entire life. Classic ectomorph body type. When I was 25 (35 now) I had enough and researched how to gain weight. It led me to working out and eating more. I thought I was eating a lot before, but day to day, over time, I was not. So I put together a diet and starting lifting weights (book "Starting Strength" is a good start) and lo and behold, I saw the scale inch up. Considering my life with weight gain up to that point, I was AMAZED. I'm 175 now (and still lean). I looked at the before/after pics I took side by side and never realized how skeletal I always looked before that.

Edit: I want to add that going from about 1500 calories per day to 2500-3000 was not easy. Going from 2 bigger meals per day of 800-1000 each, to 5-6 smaller ones every 3 hours that were 400-500 each was tough. In hindsight, I definitely should have ramped it up by only a couple hundred per week, but I was desperate to gain weight. It did take a good couple of weeks to adjust to the increased frequency, and I was very uncomfortable during that time, but the body does adjust.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:06 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Are you also working out during the times you are eating more? Specifically, lifting weights? I didn't see that, but maybe I missed it. I'm 5'10" and was skinny my entire life. Classic ectomorph body type. When I was 25 (35 now) I had enough and researched how to gain weight. It led me to working out and eating more. I thought I was eating a lot before, but day to day, over time, I was not. So I put together a diet and starting lifting weights (book "Starting Strength" is a good start) and lo and behold, I saw the scale inch up. Considering my life with weight gain up to that point, I was AMAZED. I'm 175 now (and still lean). I looked at the before/after pics I took side by side and never realized how skeletal I always looked before that.

Edit: I want to add that going from about 1500 calories per day to 2500-3000 was not easy. Going from 2 bigger meals per day of 800-1000 each, to 5-6 smaller ones every 3 hours that were 400-500 each was tough. In hindsight, I definitely should have ramped it up by only a couple hundred per week, but I was desperate to gain weight. It did take a good couple of weeks to adjust to the increased frequency, and I was very uncomfortable during that time, but the body does adjust.
Exactly this! Follow this poster's example.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:38 PM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
You may need to take a probiotics of at least 20 billions a day (check Costco). Try to eat more small meals, and walk in a relaxing pace for 10 minutes after meal. Exercise for 30' a day. Avoid acid foods like tomato sauces, citrus, dairy and gluten if possible. You can eat brown rice, quinoa, gluten-free oatmeal, sweet potatoes in place of bread/pasta. Drink ginger tea. Take turmeric capsules. These steps will heal your sensitive digestive system, and they will help your body absorb nutrition for body gain.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:15 PM

638 posts, read 977,732 times
What is the easiest meal(according to you) to make in order to pack on lots of calories?

Old 11-03-2016, 07:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Some of us simply cannot gain weight. When I went into the Army at 17, I was 6'2" and weighed 138lbs. Despite much working out and huge meals, I could not get to any more than 143lbs. (But, I could hump nearly my own body weight in gear and ammo all day long.) One side effect- lots of gas...which made me rather unpopular during PT runs in Basic- tall people are at the front of the formation .

Some years after the Army, I got on a kick to try to bulk up- working with weights and eating six meals a day, 2,000 calories per meal. The only result was that I spent more time on the hopper crapping, I still could not get past 143lbs...and lots of gas.

For me, it seems that excess food was converted to gas, and not to body mass, it was great- eat anything I wanted and not have to worry about weight. Decades later, in my 50s that changed a bit. A couple of things caused me to be a little less active and I started to put on weight- right around my middle. That isn't quite what I wanted so now I watch what I eat just a bit more.

However, there are some issues that you may want to have evaluated. Among the others already mentioned, look into Marfan Syndrome:

https://www.google.com/search?q=marf...utf-8&oe=utf-8

See a doctor to get an evaluation.

You ate 12,000+ calories a day and couldnt gain weight? Seems like a large calculation error on your intake or a medical problem as that simply doesn't make much sense. That's eating 50% more than Lance Armstrong during a Tour de France competition

Last edited by Lowexpectations; 11-03-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 08:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
What is the easiest meal(according to you) to make in order to pack on lots of calories?
I highly recommend peanut butter, jelly, and olive oil sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness