Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 08:21 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,339,471 times

Advertisements

I wear running clothes specifically made for cold weather running. I also wear gloves and a hat. If it's cold, I put heat warmers in my gloves. I get them at Target for about a $1.00.

I've read that you should dress as if it's 10 degrees warmer than the actual outside temperature because your body temperature will change. I live in the south so I don't experience the really cold weather situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:03 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
I can NOT run in the high heat/humidity--my body temperature naturally runs lower (I'm around 96.8) so as soon as I get hot, my body is just drenched and struggles with trying to cool me down. So, anything about 75/80, ESPECIALLY with humidity is a struggle for me. I tend to not run in the summer (at least, late July/August.)

Cold weather however--easy. I have run in windchills of -10, a good 10 miles. I have a North Face runners jacket, that I layer over an UnderArmour Long Sleeve ColdGear Shirt, and a pair of tech gloves from Lulu lemon. Legs--I run in long ColdGear. Normal running socks. I do have a ColdGear headband I keep over my ears, but I keep my face out.

I do also have a cold weather LuLu running vest--I use that, with the longsleeve, at between 30-40 degrees.

I find ColdGear from UA keeps me, personally, VERY warm.

ETA--this was in my New England winters, of course!

Old 11-03-2016, 12:07 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Temperature is never a limiting factor for me around here. Temps are usually in the 30's to even low 40's in the winter, sometimes in the 20's and rarely in the teens. Lots of precipitation, but that's no excuse either.

I wear shorts over compression tights, with a cotton shirt and sweater. But then, I'm not one who sweats that much. A moisture wicking undershirt would probably be better.
Also wear a hat and gloves.

Oh, and I don't carry my phone. Sometimes a small camera though, which is about the same thing.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:26 PM

903 posts, read 583,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I run in temps as high as 100+ degrees, ... Perfect running temp for me is anything in the 90s.
You are crazy and Bad A55. :O)

I melt in high heat.
cd :O)

Old 11-03-2016, 12:41 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
One of the nicest runs I ever had was in a recreational race held at midnight on New Year's Day. It was 15 degrees F and there was 5 inches of bone-dry powder snow on the bike path. It had a bit of springiness to it and the footing was excellent. I wish I could patent a synthetic surface that duplicated it...

Reminiscent of a favorite winter run of mine. It was about 5-6 AM, pitch black outside but with a full moon.

Cold (20's) and dry, with squeaky powder trail snow about 4 inches deep.

Above 80 F would be uncomfortable for me.

70-75 is perfect for running without a shirt, but unfortunately we rarely have summer days that warm here.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:11 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
oh surprised to see people running at such cold temps!! so what do you guys wear when it gets that cold? i feel like it would be super uncomfortable to wear a cotton sweatshirt when you start sweating? or am i wrong?.. do you get like a specific sweat wicking shirt?
When it's cold, I wear dark blue, polypropylene, thermal weave long johns, that are slim-cut like leggins and shorts and a medium-weight sweatshirt over those. The brand of this sweatshirt is 10,000 ft. Above Sea Level and it is a gem. Never have I had one that was so warm and yet so light. I've never needed anything on my hands or head. But every run is at my hardest and fastest-----no easy days-----so I produce a lot of heat. If you run as hard as possible, you burn up far more calories than at a moderate pace. It's just like an aircraft engine when flying at top speed. It uses twice as much fuel going 75 mph faster at top speed, than at a cruising level.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:26 PM

445 posts, read 771,003 times
I run all the way down to 20s Id say....even then I stop due to watery eyes/needing to wear too much clothing

Ill run in the 40s with my shirt off

Old 11-03-2016, 07:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Living in Houston I have to run in higher heat and humidity more often than sub 50s. I've never run in pants always shorts despite the temps. If it's could you should wear a long sleeve synthetic shirt that's moisture wicking as your first layer and add more layers if needed. Adding hat, gloves/mittens and thicker socks will help. I used to use a nathans water belt and put my phone there but now I have an ultimate direction backpack and keep my phone inside a ziplock bag in a pocket on the straps of the backpack

Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
There's no such thing as too cold.

Below freezing: Tights (asics), long sleeve running shirt, running rain jacket, hat, gloves, regular socks and shoes, probably a buff/neck warmer. Never cotton. The gloves are sport specific. The hat too, but it was no more expensive than any other hats at Target.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:44 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
for my fellow runners -

at what temperature do you guys stop running outside? and what do you wear if you continue to run outside even in the 40 (and below) degree weather?? a simple sweatshirt? or running gear specific for coldweather??

also, do you guys bring your phone ? do you hold it or have a pouch for it while you run??
I run outside down to about 15, and would probably run in that too if it happened too often. I wear a mask over my face to warm the cold air. I wear regular running tights with a pair of stockings under them, a base layer top (like Nike thermal), and a running jacket or sweathshirt over that. If it's particularly cold I might add one more thin layer under the jacket. Then a neckwarmer and thermal headband, plus mittens. Only the base layer, headband and neckwarmer/mask are specific running gear for the cold.

Oh, I have some special warm running socks, too, but I only wear them on the coldest days.

I always carry my phone. I put it in a fuel belt or hydration belt that I wear around my waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness