Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mother of two seeking information on dieting tips, have been on strict diet for two weeks and have gained three pounds, limiting sugar to 40 grams per day

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times

Advertisements

you can mess up your methabolism with a lot of dieting or wrong diets. So be careful and listen to professionals. If you don't get all the vitramins your body will react and go into anti-starvation mode quick. i have had it happen and it disgusts me so i quit the diet because there's nothing worse than really trying and
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
PS its not about not eating fat.....its about only eating the healthy fats..

I saw that you mentioned how do you eat more calories without eating more fat...you don't need to worry about that if you are only eating healthy natural foods.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
The granola bars I am eating only have 3 grams of sugar, and 7 carbs and they contain a lot of fiber..the dip is low fat and has very little sugar. Peanut butter is some fat, but Im not eating that much, like 2 tblspoons a day.Are't carrots and celery healthy snacks, and cheese? I dont eat that much! I NEED SOME fat don't I??? I am so clueless, protein, okay, been eating eggs... thats not enough either? Okay, good carbs, examples please??

Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
I usually eat a granola bar and a cup of coffee for breakfast

Lunch, none but I snack until dinner on cheese, celery and PB, hard boiled eggs, carrots and dip, maybe another granola bar

Dinner usually includes a chicken breast, or beef with more vegetables (maybe a spinach salad) and a potato.
Your discipline is great but your diet really needs to be tweaked. You definately need to add fruit and some carbs to your diet and wherever you can, add in some exercise. If youre only looking to lose 15lbs, do a brisk walk with your babies and buy yourself some dumbells (10lbs, 20lbs and 25lbs).

I am not a nutritionist, but I do have enough years of experience to say that your current diet is not providing you with all the nutrients your body needs. Here is a good sample diet for you:
For breakfast, try a good multigrain cereal or better yet, dry oatmeal (not the packed sugary stuff) with yogurt or 3 scrambled egg whites (or two whole eggs) with slice of whole grain bread, tomato and peice of fruit.

Mid morning snack - banana, raw broccoli (not dipped in anything) or better yet an almond butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat bread. You can substitue honey for the jelly.

Lunch - 3oz canned light tuna, kidney beans, corn, teaspoon lowfat mayo or tablespoon of Udo's essential oil. Mix all together and have as sandwich on whole wheat bread.

Afternoon snack - yogurt with granola mixed in or cottage cheese with almond slivers. An apple or bannana (no grapes).

Dinner - protien (chicken or beef) with brown rice and broccoli or spinach and one slice whole wheat bread.

Late snack - 1/2 cup of berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry).

Old 02-27-2008, 11:27 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,260,315 times
Everything Im eating is natural, veges, eggs, natural granola.. I cant eat any healthier, adding protein okay--- HELP.. Im going to do the cabbage soup diet soon, i cant do this anymore!!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
OK, I might not have written that clearly. Yes, you should eat fat. Healthy fat, the kind in nuts, seeds, eggs, fish (if you eat it)

Fat does not make you fat if it is the healthy natural kind

Healthy carbs: oatmeal, barley, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread (make sure it really is and not just stating)

yes, eat minimum .5 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. I eat 1 gram per lb of body weight but I lift weights/work out. So if you eigh 130 lbs eat minimum 65 grams of protein. Not hard if you include some in every meal

Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
A great source of the good fat and oils your body needs is Udo's Choice. You can find it at Whole Foods and it great mixed in with other foods or taken with spoon.

Faina is absolutely right, you must have the healthy carbs as part of your diet and nothing beats brown rice, whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread.

Please do not go on the Cabbage Soup diet. That is very bad for you. You need to eat healthy and exercise for your weight loss.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:56 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
I agree about NOT dieting! You'll lose the weight but gain it all back because you can't keep eating that way.
One problem women have, especially when they have little ones, is they feel guilty when they take the time to do something for themselves (like exercising). But in the end, it benefits everyone that you feel good about yourself, your body image, and the exercise will benefit you mentally. If there is any way you can have some time to yourself in the evening or morning to get some exercise in, it would make a world of difference.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
Everything Im eating is natural, veges, eggs, natural granola.. I cant eat any healthier, adding protein okay--- HELP.. Im going to do the cabbage soup diet soon, i cant do this anymore!!
For protein - grill a bunch of chicken breasts to have on hand, turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, nonfat milk, broiled fish, beans and brown rice, tuna sandwich, a pork tenderloin can be broiled and used for several meals, chicken grilled/broiled and pieces cut into a large salad. There are a lot of options.

The other posters are correct. Diet mode is not healthy and you will not continue with it. You can't be afraid to eat; your body needs it. You need a balanced diet with exercise.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:23 AM

339 posts, read 975,518 times
I think fania00 in giving you excellent advise. Also you have to include excercise to your daily routine. Healthy weightloss needs to be a combination of both excercise and diet. You have to burn more than what you consume. I understand that with two toddlers is very hard to find time, I have been there. I have 4 kids between the ages of 8 yrs to 14 months. Before I had my children I was an avid runner. But then between children , a full time job and graduate school it became impossible for me to get back on track. After my last child was born I ended up 20 lbs heavier than what I was before I started having kids. Last summer I got sick of those extra 20 lbs and decided that I neede to start running again. The problem was finding time to do it. In the mornings I have to be at work at 6:30 AM and in the evenings my husband does not get home from work until 7:30 PM and by the time my kids go to bed I'm exhausted. He takes care of the kids in the mornings (take them to daycare, school) and I take care of them in the the afternoon and evenings.
I started waking up at 4:50 AM and after a couple of minutes stretching I run between 5:00 to 5:40 AM around my subdivision. Then I get back home, shower and get dressed really fast and I'm out of the door by 6:10 so I can be at work at 6:30 AM. My husband and my kids usually wake up at around 6:30 AM so there are no conflicts there. At first it was super hard, but eventually I got used to it. I run 4 times a week and do elliptical and cycling 3 times a week (in my basement). Slowly the extra weight came off.
There is one problem though and is that I'm sleeping only 6 hours every night. However, I never feel sleepy and also feel that I have a lot more energy than before. I was also worried about the winter, since we have been living in Michigan for the last couple of years. But to my surprise I find running in the cold super enjoyable, so as long as you have the proper shoes and clothes there is no reason not to run or excercise outside (well except for those days of -20 windchills)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness