Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mother of two seeking information on dieting tips, have been on strict diet for two weeks and have gained three pounds, limiting sugar to 40 grams per day

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:08 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
I think fania00 in giving you excellent advise. Also you have to include excercise to your daily routine. Healthy weightloss needs to be a combination of both excercise and diet. You have to burn more than what you consume. I understand that with two toddlers is very hard to find time, I have been there. I have 4 kids between the ages of 8 yrs to 14 months. Before I had my children I was an avid runner. But then between children , a full time job and graduate school it became impossible for me to get back on track. After my last child was born I ended up 20 lbs heavier than what I was before I started having kids. Last summer I got sick of those extra 20 lbs and decided that I neede to start running again. The problem was finding time to do it. In the mornings I have to be at work at 6:30 AM and in the evenings my husband does not get home from work until 7:30 PM and by the time my kids go to bed I'm exhausted. He takes care of the kids in the mornings (take them to daycare, school) and I take care of them in the the afternoon and evenings.
I started waking up at 4:50 AM and after a couple of minutes stretching I run between 5:00 to 5:40 AM around my subdivision. Then I get back home, shower and get dressed really fast and I'm out of the door by 6:10 so I can be at work at 6:30 AM. My husband and my kids usually wake up at around 6:30 AM so there are no conflicts there. At first it was super hard, but eventually I got used to it. I run 4 times a week and do elliptical and cycling 3 times a week (in my basement). Slowly the extra weight came off.
There is one problem though and is that I'm sleeping only 6 hours every night. However, I never feel sleepy and also feel that I have a lot more energy than before. I was also worried about the winter, since we have been living in Michigan for the last couple of years. But to my surprise I find running in the cold super enjoyable, so as long as you have the proper shoes and clothes there is no reason not to run or excercise outside (well except for those days of -20 windchills)
Good job keeping it up! Yes, I find consistency to be key. Consistency is everything. You have to think, I will do this the rest of my life and be healthier for it. Not, I will just do this until I lose 10 lbs. Make changes that you will keep for the rest of your life. You willbe slimmer, healthier and happier for it.

I also used to get up at 445 am to work out! I would be at the gym by 5am! It was hard but you do what you have to do. Luckily I am not on that schedule anymore, but I was for 2-3 years and did it!

As far as sleep, I found that sometimes you just need to get to bed earlier. I know there is alot to do, but really look at what you can cut out of your schedule. Even 30-45 minutes earlier would help. Cut out the tv, or switch a few things to the weekends. Really look and fine tune. Hope that helps and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:27 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I love all of the tips and understand all that we should do, i want to know what others do when all you want to eat is some candy, or cookies? I have really been watching portions/calories. so i have allowed myself to have a treat, i just write it down. the problem is when i have one, i just seem to want more the next day..suggestions?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
My suggestion would be:
Either allow yourself one small treat a day if you really need to

Find healthy treats..such as fruit and yogurt or chocolate protein shakes made with ice and banana in the blender (yummy)

Or just keep it out of your house period and you won't be craving whats not around.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 AM

40 posts, read 144,132 times
I also think you are not doing any good by dieting like that. Your body needs a certain amount of calories a day and if you keep munching on carrots and celery, you will have to stuff yourself with low-calorie food, which will end up stretching your stomach and you will need to increase you intake. Sometimes it's much better to eat something substantial with protein and some carbs, fiber - something that will make you full, give you energy for the day, but healthy enough. Try oatmeal with a little bit of sugar. You can make a sandwich with fresh meat, lettuce, tomatoes, but not on white bread, try multigrain with lots of fiber. For exercise, you could take your twins for a walk in a double stroller. Even a walk around the block a day will make a difference in your overall health. Loosing weight is a side affect of your overall healthy state. If you are healthy, energized and have good eating habits, you won't have to starve yourself on diets.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:12 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
Everything Im eating is natural, veges, eggs, natural granola.. I cant eat any healthier, adding protein okay--- HELP.. Im going to do the cabbage soup diet soon, i cant do this anymore!!
Relax. It sounds like you are trying to do a low-carb diet. While you may not be exercising, running around after 2 small kids and doing housework etc. IS activity. Low-carb diets are absolutle WRONG for active people, it sends your body directly into starvation mode, that is how it works.

The advice and diet tips above are mostly good. Ditch the "low-carb granola bars" that is an oxymoron for "overly processed and overpriced garbage". Carbs are fine for active people as long as they come from whole grains, whole fruit and whole vegetables. You should get around 50% of your calories from carbs with at least 2/3 servings of vegetables and 2 servings of fruit a day. 3 small portions of lean protein will help curb cravings, with 1 preferably being fish. The protein sources will also provide fats, and you can factor in some fat in things like milk, cream for coffee, olive oil for salad dressings and that kind of thing. You might also want to take a fish oil supplement which can be very helpful.

Someone posted a good sample menu upthread. Here is another one:

Breakfast:
Bowl of plain oatmeal (can sweeten a little with a tablespoon of brown sugar if you don't like the taste), coffee, strawberries.

OR

Egg on Toast, Banana, Coffee

Snack:
Half a cup of carrots (no dip)

Lunch:

Bowl of Lentil Soup, crusty bread with quarter avocado spread.

OR

Turkey wrap (wholewheat tortilla) with spinach and tomato

Snack:

Melon Berrie smoothie (quarter melon, half cup mixed berries)

OR

Cup Tomato Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Dinner:

Grilled Salmon, Cup Asparagus spears, half cup brown rice.

Or

Grilled Chicken, Brussel Sprouts.

Fruit Snack for dessert.

If you pace well you will never be hungry and will get all of the nutrition you need. Plus you will provide your body with the energy it needs.

Good Luck.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Relax. It sounds like you are trying to do a low-carb diet....... Low-carb diets are absolutle WRONG for active people, it sends your body directly into starvation mode, that is how it works..
I lost 50 lbs in 4 months on a low carb diet.

The highlighted portion is not correct. From that logic, I could eat 10,000 calories of bacon a day and I'd be in "Starvation mode."

Starvation mode is your body's protection mechanism. Your body switches to a lower metabolic rate, in order to conserve fuel, because ....it thinks you are starving. This can lower your metabolism a great deal. I've heard 15 - 20, even 30 percent. I've read that on the internet...so don't quote me on the percentages. But it will be lower....that is a given.

So, basically, if you needed 1800 calories before, and lost 20 percent.. that's 360 calories.

(Speaking of low carb diets...........Low carb diets cause your body to burn fat as fuel - a process known as ketosis. Ketosis is a state in metabolism occurring when the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies which can be used by the body for energy.)

I doubt she would lose 50 lbs in 4 months, even if she went low carb. As a female, her calorie expenditures will be most likely be different. I'm 6 feet tall and have been working with weights since I was 16. We probably have a different amount of muscle mass - resulting in a different resting metabolic rate (RMR).

Here's a diet for you. Follow it for a week. See what happens.

Breakfast. 1 Cup skim milk, 1 cup raisin bran. There. You've got protein, fiber and carbs. That's like 300 calories or so.

Snack 1 apple. 80 -100 calories.

Lunch - A sandwich. 2 pieces of bread, tomatoes, onions, whatever, and 3 oz of lunch meat. Can't count 3 oz? 6 slices of lunch meat. Most any kind will work, but look at the calories. If it's Bologna, you're eating almost pure fat, instead of meat. Get something besides Bologna. 400 calories, or so - woopee! Add a glass of skim milk for protein, if you like. Eat the rest of the tomato, onion and lettuce on the side. Heck, cram it into the sandwich. I just put mustard on my sandwich. I love mustard.

Snack throughout the day....celery strips, broccolli florets, cauliflower florets, green onions, strips of green/red/yellow pepper/ Won't be much calories there. Maybe 200...300 for the whole day.

Dinner 2 boiled chicken legs or 1 thigh or 1/2 chicken breast. No skin.
That's about 200-300 calories. Throw in some type of vegetable. Something that you didn't cook in oil. Something that doesn't need dip.

I think dips are your enemy. And those granola bars. And peanut butter. And cheese.

There you go...that's 1200-1300-1400 calories a day.

Look up your BMI.

BMI calculator - Google Search.

1. Find out how many calories you need.

2. Determine how many you expend.

3. Control how many you take in.

4. You will lose weight.

You can not gain weight if you expend more calories than you take in.

Period.

As a side note, you do not have to exercise to lose weight.
However, it has been proven that those who do NOT begin to exercise tend to gain it all back...within a year. And more on top of what they lost.

Because, your metabolism drops. And without building up your muscle mass (with weights) or by constantly revving up your motor with some sort of aerobics.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I lost 50 lbs in 4 months on a low carb diet.

The highlighted portion is not correct. From that logic, I could eat 10,000 calories of bacon a day and I'd be in "Starvation mode."

Starvation mode is your body's protection mechanism. Your body switches to a lower metabolic rate, in order to conserve fuel, because ....it thinks you are starving. This can lower your metabolism a great deal. I've heard 15 - 20, even 30 percent. I've read that on the internet...so don't quote me on the percentages. But it will be lower....that is a given.
Sorry, but you are basing that on incomplete information. I have a DEGREE in PHYSIOLOGY. I actually spent several years studying this stuff at the university level.

The science is complicated, but I will try to shorten it a little.
The very drastic part of the extreme low-carb diet forces your body into Ketosis by limiting the supply of carbs. Ketosis essentially involves the indescriminate (and incomplete) burning of fat and muscle. I works, because it TRICKS the body into thinking it is starving irrespective of the calories consumed. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well when people are active because the muscle still requires fuel. You can actually eat quite a lot of calories on an extreme low-carb diet and lose weight, but it isn't a HEALTHY diet.

I would also beware of pointing people to online BMI counters. The only way to accurately measure BMI is in person. A person can be quite heavy but have a low BMI due to large muscle mass, or a high one but be quite light due to a sedentary lifestyle.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM

32 posts, read 96,601 times
Here's an idea for a healthier snack. Instead of certain yogurts and other snacks, try eating string cheese. It is low fat, very low carb, and no sugar. Sugar free Jello is also a great substitute.

Strictly ideas

I found with eating a low carb low fat, low sugar diet, I lost mounds of weight. I still ate turkey, fish, chicken, limited dairy, jello, veggies, limited fruit.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Sorry, but you are basing that on incomplete information. I have a DEGREE in PHYSIOLOGY. I actually spent several years studying this stuff at the university level.

The science is complicated, but I will try to shorten it a little.
The very drastic part of the extreme low-carb diet forces your body into Ketosis by limiting the supply of carbs. Ketosis essentially involves the indescriminate (and incomplete) burning of fat and muscle. I works, because it TRICKS the body into thinking it is starving irrespective of the calories consumed. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well when people are active because the muscle still requires fuel. You can actually eat quite a lot of calories on an extreme low-carb diet and lose weight, but it isn't a HEALTHY diet.

I would also beware of pointing people to online BMI counters. The only way to accurately measure BMI is in person. A person can be quite heavy but have a low BMI due to large muscle mass, or a high one but be quite light due to a sedentary lifestyle.
Ketosis ='s burning fat.

Catabolysis ='s burning fat and muscle.

I'm amazed that a person with a degree in physiology doesn't know the difference in terminology.

Now that we....know the meaning.... of ketosis......

Your body is an amazingly fuel efficient, fuel-converting furnace.
Calories in, calories out. That's bottom line. Eat more than you use, you gain weight. Eat less than you use, you lose weight.

You can eat a lot of calories on ANY diet, as long as you burn them off. After a while, it ceases to become a diet and becomes a "lifestyle choice."

Perhaps you can explain why it is not healthy. No one has proved it is not healthy. Then again, no one has proved it IS healthy. Its simply a way to eliminate a source of high calorie fuel.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Ketosis ='s burning fat.

Catabolysis ='s burning fat and muscle.

I'm amazed that a person with a degree in physiology doesn't know the difference in terminology.

Now that we....know the meaning.... of ketosis......

Your body is an amazingly fuel efficient, fuel-converting furnace.
Calories in, calories out. That's bottom line. Eat more than you use, you gain weight. Eat less than you use, you lose weight.

You can eat a lot of calories on ANY diet, as long as you burn them off. After a while, it ceases to become a diet and becomes a "lifestyle choice."

Perhaps you can explain why it is not healthy. No one has proved it is not healthy. Then again, no one has proved it IS healthy. Its simply a way to eliminate a source of high calorie fuel.

The point is that low-carb diets lead to the INEFFICIENT burning of fuel stores.

I agree that less calories in will result in weight loss, but the body is actually NOT an amazingly efficient machine it is the result of millions of years of evolution, with lots of make-do biology. Our kidneys are the kidneys of a fresh water fish. They are not optimum for our physiology, but they do the job so evolution hasn't changed them. A degree in physiology tells you this. Random internet searches won't. However, 20 pages of endocrinology and hormonal effects on the digestive system and especially the liver would be an extremely boring read.

There is an abundance of literature out there pointing out the nutrutional shortcomings of a low-carb diet. The fact that every one requires the use of liberal amounts of supplements is just a little clue. I am not however going to fax over a copy of my credentials and I am aware of the dangers of advice from anonymous web sourses. Instead, I would advise you to go visit a local professional nutritionist, face to face and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness