Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,330 times

Advertisements

Hello Community,

I am currently a bit out of shape, but desire to make my health/fitness/wellness my #1 priority. I have some military and martial arts related experience, as well as some weight training and running under my belt, so I am no stranger to fitness or agility-related activities, but I have just gotten away from cosistently training and eating healthy as of late. I am now prepared to change all if that however.

Anyhow, I have been inspired after reading up on the new bodyweight-exercise movement, as well as on parkour, and "movement"-based exercise, and love watching/studying parkour on youtube. I have also concluded from my own experience that I generally dislike gym atmospheres as well as their associated contracts (wish one could pay by the day at such facilities - I hate obligations). Instead, I wish to change my mindset and strategy towards exercise altogether.

Now, I don't plan on giving up on weight training completely, but instead of signing a contract for a gym membership, I would opt for a cheapo set of adjustable dumbbells from walmart, and would rather skip rope or jog at the park instead of running on a treadmill (not that I don't find certain equipment useful for some occasions). Basically, I want to exercise for FREE, but I don't have space/means to build a home-gym. Also, I would like to focus more upon developing overall functional athletic strength, speed, and agility, not specific to any one sport. I generally dislike competitive sports other than tennis/golf, so that is out (although I enjoy watching Crossfit competitions or Ninja Warrior or Strong Man so that I can study their techniques).

Ultimately, parkour seems to fit the bill perfectly for my needs. Even with my taller build, I used to be capable of front-handsprings, or flips on trampolines or from a diving board in my teens/twenties. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so theoretically, I could train up to 5-6 hours a day, perhaps up to 5-6 days a week. I have few obligations. Do you think that, at my age, pursuing parkour or movement exercise in any serious capacity would be foolish? I am in generally good health, and have been working on flexibility, tai chi, vaulting, and precision jumping with distances that I feel comfortable with. How far can I get with this lifestyle choice if I commit a lot of time/energy to the art?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Senior citizens are learning daredevil sport ‘parkour’ | New York Post

Old 11-22-2016, 08:59 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
It says you live in Everett. If you want to get in the same shape as the Parkour community, hike the mountains and learn to climb safely. You will get in tremendous shape without the potentially destructive impact associated with Parkour.

At your age and honestly, at any age, I would advise against Parkour. There is tremendous risk associated with it. It looks great, but we are not invulnerable. There are some injuries that you may not be able to come back from.

I understand that one aspect of working out is an increase in performance and wherever possible, you should strive to do this; however, what take precedence over performance is longevity and safety. Will the exercise keep me healthy deep into my old age? If not, what are the risks and why is the exercise negatively affecting my health, even if its improving a particular aspect, such as strength?

Those are the questions you should ask yourself before engaging in a strength and conditioning program. Then you should as yourself what the important aspects of your performance are, and develop a program that emphasizes those aspects while positively affecting your health.

Granted, if you're an elite athlete, in order to compete you may have to burn the candle at both ends, but if your desire is to continue to keep on living, keep it simple and safe, and you will get the performance increase you desire while maintaining your function.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:49 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisela_Voda View Post
Too Old to Learn Parkour at 35?
Nope. Im in my 40s and still do it for fun.

Old 11-23-2016, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,330 times
Thank you all for your replies. I also found this video of a 47 year old Londoner who only began practicing a couple of years earlier. Pretty inspiring I thought:

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqN5F2V3oCo[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
It says you live in Everett. If you want to get in the same shape as the Parkour community, hike the mountains and learn to climb safely. You will get in tremendous shape without the potentially destructive impact associated with Parkour.
Good suggestion. I enjoy hiking very much. If I was closer to the city (Seattle) I would have way more options for alternative fitness such as group tai chi / chi gong, probably parkour, and other similar meet ups. But I will look for hiking groups in my vicinity as an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
At your age and honestly, at any age, I would advise against Parkour. There is tremendous risk associated with it. It looks great, but we are not invulnerable...

...what take precedence over performance is longevity and safety. Will the exercise keep me healthy deep into my old age? If not, what are the risks and why is the exercise negatively affecting my health, even if its improving a particular aspect, such as strength?

Those are the questions you should ask yourself before engaging in a strength and conditioning program. Then you should as yourself what the important aspects of your performance are, and develop a program that emphasizes those aspects while positively affecting your health.
Thank you, and note taken. I am definitely concerned about my longevity over short-term performance-based goals. For now I think I will work on incorporating a few parkour moves into a body-weight dominant workout routine. I plan to take things slow, and avoid injury by listening to what my body is telling me.

Another thing which concerns me is with how the practice of parkour outside of a gym seems to be perceived as rather tabboo in the US. Maybe because a lot of it involves looking for abandon places with hardened architecture (not impossible here, but often bordering on or involving downright tresspassing), as well as the fear of lawsuits if someone gets injured on private property (since our society in the West is so litigious and sue-happy). Similar to how skateboarding was once cast in a negative light (even though parkour is arguably less destructive to property).

Old 11-23-2016, 03:16 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,374 times
You might join The Mountaineers. There is an Everett branch...you could start with hiking and then move on to scrambling and climbing. And of course there are the snow sports - snowshoeing and cross country skiing...they have classes to teach you what you need to know..

Old 11-23-2016, 03:41 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
OP, look... I get this question from my patients - amputees - all the time. With that new prosthesis I'll have, can I run? Did you run before, Mr Smith? No, but I saw that guy on internet/TED/documentary, you name it.
people are unrealistic in their expectations. I really like watching good martial arts movie. Does not mean I'll go and start doing all that I saw, even that I am really well fit for my 61.
So, answer to your question is - I am out of shape. Parkour is EXTREMELY challenging sport for folks that ARE fit and WERE fit their entire life. Also, they are LIGHT.
What you need to do is to keep watching. To stay motivated. While you need to restore your shape to parkour level. What will take you maybe a year, maybe several, of VERY strenuous preparation.
Then, sure, go for it.
I spoke. It's your life.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:27 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisela_Voda View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I also found this video of a 47 year old Londoner who only began practicing a couple of years earlier. Pretty inspiring I thought:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eqN5F2V3oCo

Good suggestion. I enjoy hiking very much. If I was closer to the city (Seattle) I would have way more options for alternative fitness such as group tai chi / chi gong, probably parkour, and other similar meet ups. But I will look for hiking groups in my vicinity as an alternative.

Thank you, and note taken. I am definitely concerned about my longevity over short-term performance-based goals. For now I think I will work on incorporating a few parkour moves into a body-weight dominant workout routine. I plan to take things slow, and avoid injury by listening to what my body is telling me.

Another thing which concerns me is with how the practice of parkour outside of a gym seems to be perceived as rather tabboo in the US. Maybe because a lot of it involves looking for abandon places with hardened architecture (not impossible here, but often bordering on or involving downright tresspassing), as well as the fear of lawsuits if someone gets injured on private property (since our society in the West is so litigious and sue-happy). Similar to how skateboarding was once cast in a negative light (even though parkour is arguably less destructive to property).
Another thing to think about is the one thing you don't really acquire from calisthenics is a full body pull. If you play sports or are engaged in a strenuous activity, you might want to consider deadlifts or kettlebell swings to make you more resilient and less prone to injury. Just remember to use good form and use the right program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness