Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Not a power lifter just excersizing. So many opinions on this. I need to minimize rotator cuff risk. So do I go with the elbows in, lower below nipples, stop when arms are parallel with back method?

I have long arms this leaves about a 6 inch gap between the bar and my chest. Am I still hitting the pecs properly?

Thoughts?
My first thought is, what's the point? The reason people do presses on benches is to allow the elbows to go below parallel. It was a major innovation way back when.

If you don't want to go past parallel, do your presses lying on the floor the way people did decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:46 PM

320 posts, read 353,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If the bar doesn't touch your chest then you aren't performing the bench press correctly. You are doing some other type of exercise. I bench with a close grip, elbows tucked in.
I have to disagree. When I bench, I never let the bar touch my chest. I maintain the weight throughout my whole set. Rest when you've completed the set, not in the middle of a rep.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:59 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
I have to disagree. When I bench, I never let the bar touch my chest. I maintain the weight throughout my whole set. Rest when you've completed the set, not in the middle of a rep.
I don't do half-a**ed benching. I use the full range of motion. When you squat do you go a quarter of the way down? Letting the bar touch your chest isn't resting, you amateur. Now, pause reps are different but still more difficult than the crap you're doing, especially with heavy weight. Also, using full range of motion is more difficult than the half-reps you're doing.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Well, OP, think what pecs do. Functional anatomy wise, pecs ad-duct and internally rotate your arm, at the angle down.
To see the motion, stand tall. Raise say your right arm at about 15 degrees up and out, palm forward. Keep elbow straight.
Then, keeping arm straight, move it so that final position will be forearm about 2 inches below left nipple.
Pecs move arm in that direction.
Ideal pec exercise is cable cross from that starting position and exactly in that direction. It is virtually impossible to do on bench, olympic bar or dumbbells. Besides, to accomplish this, you have to be declined on the bench, to load pecs terminally.
That's why best you can do - for pecs - is elbows at 90 degrees to the chest. When you switch elbows forward, humerus parallel to the chest, you basically shift everything to triceps and anterior deltoid.
From a guy who damaged his R shoulder with BP back when he was 29 and it took 3 years to get "normal", I figured sort of snaking way around that damaging force. So I start with elbows perpendicular, bar on the chest, and, as I initiate the lift, R elbow goes in just a little and then back to 90 degrees. It's a slight curve that bypasses that dangerous initial effort.
Also, for your shoulders, I absolutely recommend that upright machine, where you can lock bar at various heights. Donno what the name is, most gyms have some like that. Ever since I used it for BP, I have no issues. Maybe it's because you have to dedicate less effort to balancing the bar, maybe it's just feeling of security, but I can never press same weight on bench I can on that machine. About 30% difference actually. I think it's the balancing act that does it.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Not a power lifter just excersizing. So many opinions on this. I need to minimize rotator cuff risk. So do I go with the elbows in, lower below nipples, stop when arms are parallel with back method?

I have long arms this leaves about a 6 inch gap between the bar and my chest. Am I still hitting the pecs properly?

Thoughts?
This should answer all your questions here.

Bench Press Technique : Bodyrecomposition

Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
That's terrible advice. Form is always first, weight comes second.

Cream just loves to troll this forum for some reason. Ignore him.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:51 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
My first thought is, what's the point? The reason people do presses on benches is to allow the elbows to go below parallel. It was a major innovation way back when.

If you don't want to go past parallel, do your presses lying on the floor the way people did decades ago.
Jeezus man take it easy. My wrists are not great and a bar is easier for me than push ups, not to mention other old injuries coming into play

Old 12-02-2016, 07:57 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Physical Therapist here. The pectoralis major is a large, fan-shaped muscle that has (IMO) a relatively small attachment/insertion into the humerus. By stopping when your arms are parallel with your back, you avoid putting too much strain on that attachment (or tendon, as we call it). If you are young, it may not matter much and your arms could probably go further down without hurting anything. But tissues lose their elasticity as you grow older and so you should be more conservative, just to be on the safe side.

Don't fret about the gap between the bar and your chest as it's dependent on your individual body geometry: some folks have long forearms (big gap), others have short ones (smaller gap).
Best advice on thread. Plus, don't bounce the bar, don't arch your back, avoid injury.

Some guys have a barrel chest and stubby thick arms. They move the bar a few inches. Others have long arms and have to move the same weight a long ways. Everyone is built different and not every "bench" method is perfect for them.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:56 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Best advice on thread. Plus, don't bounce the bar, don't arch your back, avoid injury.
Actually...with a couple exceptions...there should be some arching of the back in a proper bench press. This is covered in the link I gave above.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Actually...with a couple exceptions...there should be some arching of the back in a proper bench press. This is covered in the link I gave above.
+1. Arching your back protects the shoulders. For anyone who thinks there shouldn't be an arch, google "leg drive bench press", see what you find then come back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness