Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times

Advertisements

Hi~

My question:
I joined a really nice and convenient club near my house, but my time is very limited. For instance, tonight I ran down to the gym at 7:30 and as quickly as I could (no rest/breaks) I did the entire circuit...which is a lot because it is great gym. Just 2 reps of 18. I did not do any cardio because it seems to me that I was doing cardio being out of breath already from going as fast as I could. Will this suffice? I want to be lean. I am 5"8 116 with a bit of muscle, but it is not bulky. Never will be just the way my muscles are built and I don't like the bulky look on women personally.

So, is that okay for my weight training pat or should I add cardio? I used to stairclimb for 20 minutes and then lift. Then I heard an employee say to forget the stair climber and use the rowing machine? Is there a reason why he would say that?

Also, when I lift whether it is fast or slow I notice my heat stops a beat and the breath is sucked out of me..like I can' breath but just for a beat. I happens several times a workout. Is that normal when lifting?

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Hi~

My question:
I joined a really nice and convenient club near my house, but my time is very limited. For instance, tonight I ran down to the gym at 7:30 and as quickly as I could (no rest/breaks) I did the entire circuit...which is a lot because it is great gym. Just 2 reps of 18. I did not do any cardio because it seems to me that I was doing cardio being out of breath already from going as fast as I could. Will this suffice? I want to be lean. I am 5"8 116 with a bit of muscle, but it is not bulky. Never will be just the way my muscles are built and I don't like the bulky look on women personally.

So, is that okay for my weight training pat or should I add cardio? I used to stairclimb for 20 minutes and then lift. Then I heard an employee say to forget the stair climber and use the rowing machine? Is there a reason why he would say that?

Also, when I lift whether it is fast or slow I notice my heat stops a beat and the breath is sucked out of me..like I can' breath but just for a beat. I happens several times a workout. Is that normal when lifting?

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Stairs and rowing are both decent. Basically do the one you enjoy more or rotate them regularly.

The reason you were out of breath is you passed you vo2 max and entered an anaerobic state of conditioning. In short, oxygen wasn't fueling your exercise but muscle glycogen was.

Think sprints vs a 3 mile run.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Stairs and rowing are both decent. Basically do the one you enjoy more or rotate them regularly.

The reason you were out of breath is you passed you vo2 max and entered an anaerobic state of conditioning. In short, oxygen wasn't fueling your exercise but muscle glycogen was.

Is that a good thing?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post

I don't think your heart should stop even paying v02 max

Old 11-29-2016, 10:31 PM

Yeah, me neither, but it does and I notice it more when lifting "heavy" weight which for me (80 pounds). It just stops, no air and I have to stop briefly and go on...usually at a lower weight. I can now imagine how someone just drops after a heart attack. No pain just the drop dead
Thanks for you help. I'll research.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Is that a good thing?
I prefer to train in an anaerobic state. One must build the aerobic base to fully optimize however.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, me neither, but it does and I notice it more when lifting "heavy" weight which for me (80 pounds). It just stops, no air and I have to stop briefly and go on...usually at a lower weight. I can now imagine how someone just drops after a heart attack. No pain just the drop dead
Thanks for you help. I'll research.
Get a Fitbit or garmin. If it continues get checked for arrhythmia.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:50 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I do 45 running/walk on the treadmill at least 3 days a week. Sometimes I follow that with three or four laps in the pool.

I know I need to do more.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:36 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
OP, I'd think 5'8" and 116 is already pretty lean.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:28 AM

I have small bones! I like being lean, but where you can see slight definition. I seem to feel better physically when I have that tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness