Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 AM

638 posts, read 978,564 times

Advertisements

I'm a beginner and want to start putting on some weight and muscle. I want to start strictly with calisthenics, does anyone have any program experience that worked well for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 07:58 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwDAZ7SSwY

Old 12-05-2016, 07:35 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Convict conditioning is a good one, but I would pair it with Pavel's Naked Warrior which goes into detail about breathing to create tension, which can be translated into strength.

Where I diverge with them is with the movements themselves. I believe in keeping things bi-lateral if possible when it comes to bodyweight training, and using tension to make the movements more strength based.

If hypertrophy or putting on mass is the goal, you will still want to limit your reps through the utilization of tension, but you will want to keep the reps a bit higher than what is recommended for pure strength.

I wouldn't get involved in to many of the more dynamic calisthenics that you see on youtube videos for example because they can result in accumulating injuries that could result in dysfunction in the future. I think keeping things simple is the way to go.

Instead of the pistol squat, to build lower body strength, you might want to consider doing goblet squats with weight, but still utilizing tension to make the weight feel heavier.

It is not necessary to train anything more than the basics outlined in Convict Conditioning and only the bi-lateral versions of each movement. When you do pull ups, ensure that your palms face forward or are at a neutral grip, or buy gymnastic rings. It is also a good idea to hang occasionally to improve your grip strength. Just ensure that you keep your shoulders in their sockets for every pulling movement.

In my own experience, direct calf training makes them more prone to injury. The verdict is still out for calisthenic neck training, but I am unsure of the long term ramifications, so I personally do not do them anymore. Doing flag movements are great if you want to impress people, but I don't think there are safer and more effective alternatives at training your rotation muscles.

If you truly want a resilient body I would consider adding a full body pull to your calisthenic movements. You could either deadlift or incorporate kettlebell swings into your routine. Obviously, swings should be performed with submaximal loads. I would also recommend that you only use submaximal loads for deadlifting as well. This will allow you to concentrate more on form than on maximal exertion. You will build strength with less risk, since you are able to focus on form at a higher degree than if you were to perform with maximal effort. Whatever you decide, just be safe.

Also realize that strength is more effective than size at keeping you healthy, so long as it is achieved safely and with good form.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:48 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
I'm a beginner and want to start putting on some weight and muscle. I want to start strictly with calisthenics, does anyone have any program experience that worked well for you?
Nothing wrong with wanting to "start strictly with calisthenics", but the question I ask of you as a self professed "beginner" is "WHY?" Are you against using weights? Do you not have access to gym/equipment? Are you just afraid of going to a gym?

The link Suburban_Guy posted is GOOD. Those exercises are a pretty darn good way to start.

I really really like the bodyweight/calisthenics vids posted online by Kaisa Kieran (AKA Kaisafit). She has some really good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDd...S4AJkLLdVjtORT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NV5...S4AJkLLdVjtORT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o75DivztU1I

Old 12-18-2016, 09:00 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
Kettle bell workouts are great for an all body workout, a low weight will still give good gains.

Add some planks and plank push ups, you will build very good muscle tone and strenghth. Mostly core , from the waist up.

Add some standing twist excercises, for the mid section, obliques and abs. In addition to the kettle bell squats, your core will be very strong.

Start a bike or jogging program , 30 minutes a day is good .

These excercises will give you an athletic build. More of a boxer build than monster.

Cut sugar and white carb, but keep eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness