Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times

Advertisements

Crossfit my man. Crossfit for women, Crossfit for men, Crossfit for goats, Crossfit for you. "Just another day at the bar."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 09:07 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Article is extremely misleading for 2 reasons:

1. She said she also changed her nutrition. This alone can explain her weight loss and it would have happened anyway regardless of if she lifted weights or not.

2. She is fat. Of course she can build strength and muscle for a while. It's because her default caloric consumption (even if she started on a cut) is high enough to support it. But in the long term as she cuts her calories further and loses more weight she will stagnate and won't be able to gain more strength and muscle without increasing her calories again.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post

No lean woman who isn't abusing steroids is going to be lifting any respectable amount of weight. This makes the whole plan of lifting to lose weight a completely laughable plan for women, because in order to get the calorie burning muscle mass (which won't even burn that many calories anyway) they would have to get fat anyway. In fact, I would argue that this entire idea is actually just kinda dumb for everybody.

Just lol at women who actually do this thinking it's the secret to leanness. Just lol.

EDIT: Some of the posters are saying I am mocking women who want to improve themselves. This is untrue. I am making fun of the people who call for this exact method of weight loss and am pointing out that it makes no sense.
Again with you telling people not to exercise. These posts of yours are becoming very tiresome and insulting.

First what is "respectable amount of weight?" Why should what a man lifts be "respectable" and what woman lifts "not respectable?" Men and women usually have different goals with weight training. Men often do this to get stronger, bulk up and be muscular. Women tend to do it to get stronger, be toned (not big and muscular) and to change fat/muscle ratio. Most women who know enough about weights know it is not going to bulk them up. If they do not know they ask "will it make me big?" and then the trainer or a CREDIBLE source on the internet and not some random guy with an opinion explains it to them.

Top 10 Workout Myths - Mayo Clinic Health System

Second you do not understand women's bodies. It is an EXCELLENT idea for women to lift weights because weight-bearing exercises help to increase bone mass and help them avoid osteoporosis.

https://www.nof.org/patients/fractur...-strong-bones/

Please stop with these terrible posts unless you can come here with links and science and not just "what you have seen."

Old 12-07-2016, 09:09 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
My experience has been similar, although for me weight loss/gain is driven by food consumption/constraint to a much greater extent than exercise.
Same here, but exercise gives me additional motivation to stay away from the refrigerator. It helps control my appetite, and then there's the notion of why ruin all the progress I'm making by making poor food choices?

Quote:
I did mostly cardio for years, and it wasn't until I added strength training to my regimen that I noticed changes in my body. Arms and legs more toned, abs stronger, etc. I have no aims to be a bodybuilder or weightlifter, but the effect was undeniable. And, no, it did not cause me to gain weight - as I stated before, that is a food issue.
Absolutely! Esthetic effects aside, too, strength training has made me stronger and given me more stamina when doing marathon yard work sessions, hauling heavy pieces of furniture up and down the stairs, etc. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I didn't gain weight, either. What a silly notion.

Quote:
Btw OP, even if you are/were correct in your assertion, your disdainful tone does not exactly inspire people to take you seriously.
The OP hates women, overweight women especially. Read some of his posts, if you can stomach it.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:34 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
lelz at all the guys here recommending strength training to women as a means to lose weight. The argument here basically is that lifting weights burns extra calories and that the additional muscle mass will increase metabolism or some nonsense.

Ok, for starters the myth about extra muscle burning more calories isn't even that true. Even a male who works out for years and build muscle won't be able to eat more than perhaps 700-800 calories more than he did years prior AT MOST (just lol at all the fat dudes eating 4000+ calories a day thinking their lard is muscle).
I would suggest researching this topic and perhaps reading a book or two written by successful weight trainers before posting nonsense like you have above.

Seriously... Working out with weights will make women fat, will it?

Old 12-07-2016, 09:46 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Ban OP, IMO.
Don't know why it hasn't happened yet. Posts are equal parts wrong and simply inflammatory..

Old 12-07-2016, 10:31 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Hakkarin:
''Strength training will just make women fat.''

I think false information deserves to be refuted, and so,

Mayo Clinic:
Want to reduce body fat, increase lean muscle mass and burn calories more efficiently? Strength training to the rescue! Strength training is a key component of overall health and fitness for everyone.

Strength training: Get stronger, leaner, healthier - Mayo Clinic

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-07-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-07-2016, 10:53 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
LOL at your threads, OP. You never disappoint me. Its not so much you're completely wrong in a lot of your threads (because there's some truths) but its how you deliver it.

Everyone here pretty much knows strength training wont make anyone fat; only their diet can do that.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:07 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Everyone here pretty much knows strength training wont make anyone fat; only their diet can do that.
DIET IS A PART OF STRENGTH TRAINING!!!

You need to eat more in order to get stronger. How are you planning on lifting more weight if you don't eat more food? No caloric surplus=no strength or muscle gain.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:11 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
DIET IS A PART OF STRENGTH TRAINING!!!

You need to eat more in order to get stronger. How are you planning on lifting more weight if you don't eat more food? No caloric surplus=no strength or muscle gain.
If a person desires to lose weight, he's already carrying his caloric surplus with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness