Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:15 AM

41,881 posts, read 74,938,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
DIET IS A PART OF STRENGTH TRAINING!!!
Bwah hahahahahaha!

Hawaiiancoconut is right -- you never disappoint.

Please post photos of you eating weight equipment, eating while using weight equipment, etc. I'm shivering with antici .... pation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 11:17 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,690,527 times
Quote:
lelz at all the guys here recommending strength training to women as a means to lose weight. The argument here basically is that lifting weights burns extra calories and that the additional muscle mass will increase metabolism or some nonsense.

Ok, for starters the myth about extra muscle burning more calories isn't even that true. Even a male who works out for years and build muscle won't be able to eat more than perhaps 700-800 calories more than he did years prior AT MOST (just lol at all the fat dudes eating 4000+ calories a day thinking their lard is muscle). Secondly, women can't even put on anywhere near as much muscle as men can so even after years of lifting whatever muscle they will build would probably burn no more than perhaps a few hundred extra calories a day (wow, a whole donut!). But thirdly and most importantly, you need to eat at a caloric surplus to gain strength and muscle, and this isn't possible to do without putting on fat.

Even men who bulk only very slowly (which imo is the only correct way to do it) will still put on fat, and as they gain more and more muscle the amount of fat they put on grows as well. It's not possible to maximize strength gains and still be lean. Bulking slowly will REDUCE the amount of fat they will put on, but it's not possible to avoid putting on fat except only at the very beginning when your body is so out of shape that doing almost anything will put on at least some muscle and burn at least some fat. For men this isn't that big of a deal assuming they are smart about their weight gain (which 90% of them aren't), but that is because they have and can put on considerably greater amounts of muscle than women can. And on top of that, women also don't gain strength at anywhere near the same pace. That means women will have to eat more to fuel more strength gain but without actually gaining that much muscle. And what happens, is that they get fat.

I have seen this many times in the gym I use to go to (I work out at home now). Every single woman I saw that was lifting anything heavier than the small dumbbells was either fat or in the process of getting fat.

I can already imagine what the typical counter-arguments are going to look like: "Hurr dur you don't have to put on fat to get stronger just don't eat too much". No, this isn't how your body works. Strength gains have to be fueled with more calories, and with more calories comes more fat. This is true even for men, and for women it's even worse because they have to eat more to fuel strength gains while still producing less muscle.

No lean woman who isn't abusing steroids is going to be lifting any respectable amount of weight. This makes the whole plan of lifting to lose weight a completely laughable plan for women, because in order to get the calorie burning muscle mass (which won't even burn that many calories anyway) they would have to get fat anyway. In fact, I would argue that this entire idea is actually just kinda dumb for everybody.

Just lol at women who actually do this thinking it's the secret to leanness. Just lol.

EDIT: Some of the posters are saying I am mocking women who want to improve themselves. This is untrue. I am making fun of the people who call for this exact method of weight loss and am pointing out that it makes no sense.
Lifting heavy weights makes you have extreme feelings of hunger, much more than intense cardio. I've found that when i lift, i get really hungry, so unless you can fight off those hunger pangs, lifting weights without combining that with intense cardio, will just make you gain weight, at least thats what i've found to be true personally.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:17 AM

33,066 posts, read 26,267,471 times
Quote:

You need to eat more in order to get stronger. How are you planning on lifting more weight if you don't eat more food? No caloric surplus=no strength or muscle gain.
That's not entirely true. Unless a person is already as strong as he can be at a particular bodyweight, he can certainly become stronger without increasing his bodyweight.

Furthermore, the goal of strength training isn't necessarily to keep getting stronger, but to maintain the strength you already have even while losing bodyweight, as well as maintaining bone density, body composition, and just plain feeling better.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:54 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,728,802 times
Quote:
Article is extremely misleading for 2 reasons:

1. She said she also changed her nutrition. This alone can explain her weight loss and it would have happened anyway regardless of if she lifted weights or not.

2. She is fat. Of course she can build strength and muscle for a while. It's because her default caloric consumption (even if she started on a cut) is high enough to support it. But in the long term as she cuts her calories further and loses more weight she will stagnate and won't be able to gain more strength and muscle without increasing her calories again.
Your boy just made a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dPRFmKlsA

Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM

876 posts, read 997,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's not entirely true. Unless a person is already as strong as he can be at a particular bodyweight, he can certainly become stronger without increasing his bodyweight.
If you are inexperienced then for a period of time you can enjoy what's called "noob gains" where you can gain muscle and lose fat. This is temporary and won't work for longer then perhaps a few months. If you are really fat then this might last longer but at some point even such a person won't make gains or will start losing gains as their body weight drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Furthermore, the goal of strength training isn't necessarily to keep getting stronger, but to maintain the strength you already have even while losing bodyweight
It is not possible to do this. The only reason bodybuilders and fitness models can go on a cut and still retain muscle mass is because they use steroids. A drug free lifter that loses weight will lose strength and muscle in the process. This is one of the biggest things that so many people just don't realize: Without drugs it's not possible to be muscular and lean both at the same time. The whole bulking and then cutting later without losing muscle or strength is a bodybuilding thing and doesn't work without drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Your boy just made a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43dPRFmKlsA
lol for once I will have to disagree with Jason here (it isn't the first time actually, but I agree with lots of the things he says). She lost weight because she late less, period. This would have happened regardless of if she lifted weights or not. And now that she is getting leaner she won't be able to keep getting stronger unless she starts eating more again.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:31 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,550,306 times
Quote:

You need to eat more in order to get stronger. How are you planning on lifting more weight if you don't eat more food? No caloric surplus=no strength or muscle gain.
I've made some tremendous gains in strength without increasing my caloric intake.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,288,409 times
Quote:
It is not possible to do this. The only reason bodybuilders and fitness models can go on a cut and still retain muscle mass is because they use steroids. A drug free lifter that loses weight will lose strength and muscle in the process. This is one of the biggest things that so many people just don't realize: Without drugs it's not possible to be muscular and lean both at the same time. The whole bulking and then cutting later without losing muscle or strength is a bodybuilding thing and doesn't work without drugs.
Its very possible without drugs, but so extremely difficult that your average person with moderate motivation will find it just impossible and simply give up. And the older you get, the more extreme it is to achieve it; that's when drugs become very appealing.

Quote:
lol for once I will have to disagree with Jason here (it isn't the first time actually, but I agree with lots of the things he says). She lost weight because she late less, period. This would have happened regardless of if she lifted weights or not. And now that she is getting leaner she won't be able to keep getting stronger unless she starts eating more again.
I cant argue that diet was her main component for her figure -- not lifting weights. She could have achieved the same results with cardio, but I'm guessing she didn't have a full understanding/grasp of her diet in the beginning until she got into weight lifting.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Ban OP, IMO.
I know. Why hasn't this been done already. jeeze.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:36 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
5'6"
140lb
Bench 230
Never an effin steroid.

Is that not respectable?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 PM

33,066 posts, read 26,267,471 times
Quote:
If you are inexperienced then for a period of time you can enjoy what's called "noob gains" where you can gain muscle and lose fat. This is temporary and won't work for longer then perhaps a few months. If you are really fat then this might last longer but at some point even such a person won't make gains or will start losing gains as their body weight drops.

lol for once I will have to disagree with Jason here (it isn't the first time actually, but I agree with lots of the things he says). She lost weight because she late less, period. This would have happened regardless of if she listed weights or not. And now that she is getting leaner she won't be able to keep getting stronger unless she starts eating more again.
You can certainly within limits maintain strength while losing weight.

Not everyone who strength trains does so for the purpose of becoming a bodybuilder or a powerlifter. Many people strength train in order to improve their fitness level, and to become somewhat stronger but who have no desire to reach extreme levels in those areas.

And you simply do not know what you are talking about when you state that diet ALONE is the cause of weight loss. It may be the most important aspect, but it is not the only aspect. Physical activity burns calories and contributes to weight loss.

If you are taking in the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight, but then increase your physical activity without making any changes to your diet, you will begin to lose weight.

By one estimate, a 180 pound person will burn 100 calories per mile that is walked. A five mile walk (which is an easy distance) will burn 500 calories. Walking five miles a day for seven days will then burn 3500 calories which is a pound of fat.

https://www.verywell.com/calories-bu...alking-3432716

I know from personal experience that physical activity, both weight training and walking are great for losing weight.

You'll just have to excuse me if I don't take your word as gospel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness