Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 02:58 PM

1,180 posts, read 777,032 times

Advertisements

I wonder what this actually does. Does not unused protein go to fat? Yet, a Whey bar isn't a "supplement," like a fat burner.. Is it?

I'm hoping to again fill my days with work, and I am counting calories today. I am at at least 740 today, possibly 1000 as I didn't factor in the 6" Steak and Cheese sub, the sustinence of what I had today. I sipped coffee and orange juice, however I ate

240 calories (Beef Jerky)
plus 80 calories (slice of cheddar cheese)
Then worked
Then the sub
Sipped the coffee and drank the OJ here

Then had a Kit Kat (420 calories)

Had some Chicken Noodle soup (calories unknown)

Now I'm sipping the OJ again

Now the day is winding down.

So, I am counting my calories. My goal is to consume less than 2000 and I did NOT eat as much as I usually do today. I also worked, and am burning it off.

Does Why protein after a workout just make you fat? Or, do your muscles use it.

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,582 times
You don't even need protein supplements. Even males who lift don't need more than 90-120gr of protein a day.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 777,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
You don't even need protein supplements. Even males who lift don't need more than 90-120gr of protein a day.
Just to confirm, even males that lift DON'T need, you meant?

By "mild intensity" I mean, I can go "an hour" in the gym of doing the most "work" with the machine and free weights, and I try to swim before and after doing so for at least 20 minutes. I call that "mild," since it isn't "hours in the gym" and I am not moving the whole rack of weights like a big big dude.

I began counting calories.. "I could probably do better" but if this is "Day 1" then I actually did pretty good. Ate, worked, and only ate rational portions. Dialing in my snacking.

I'm 6ft and about 210 to 215lbs and I fit a 34x30 Men's Pants today.. the 36x32 pants fit with no belt, and are comfy. So I'm a little bit fat. I used to be heavier. I can feel my arm muscles.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:46 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
OP,

Not sure how much this will help, as I am a female, 5' 6", 108 pounds and on my doctor's suggestion I am using Legion Whey+ Protein powder (100 calories) to try to help me gain weight without eating more carbs.

I was 114 pounds a year ago and because I am one of those "thin" pre diabetics I needed to reduce my carbs (eating too much processed food). I ate the same amount of calories (2100), just more protein and fat and less carbs and in three weeks I was down to 110 pounds. So, I think it is what makes up those 2100 calories that can make a difference and not just the total number of calories you consume. Many processed foods can be low in calories, but, high in carbs.

When I started strength training in Jan 16, I dropped down to 108 pounds within 3 months. I had to increase my calories to 2500+ per day (without increasing carbs) just to stay at 108 pounds. It is hard for me to eat that much when I eat healthy - so my doctor suggested in June that I add more protein to my diet. The whey protein is easy to mix with my Glucerna shake I drink as a snack to add calories to my daily total.

The extra 100 calories a day from the protein powder did not help me gain weight, but, it did help me to not drop below 108 lbs. I did notice within 30 days a noticeable difference in the muscle definition of my upper arms. I even had a complete stranger come up to me in August while I was waiting for a meeting to start and he said "you work out don't you". I figure if a 20 something year old young man notices a 68 year old woman with white hair has muscle definition in her arms - it is not just my imagination that I am building muscle.

The extra protein from my experience does seem to add muscle. It is lowering the carbs in your total calories per day that causes me to lose weight. If I went low carb I would be under 100 pounds in short order, so, I maintain a medium carb diet and increase the calories I consume by adding more protein and fat to my diet.

If you want to lose weight look at the total carbs in your diet and try to modify your diet so that carbs are a smaller percentage of the total calories you consume.

Last edited by Mary2014; 12-07-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 08:03 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Careful with the fruit juices. While black coffee has no caloric value to speak of, orange juice definitely does.

Why the Kit-Kat? You could have gotten MUCH more benefit from those 400+ calories, and felt a lot more satisfied, if you had chosen 400 cals of something that wasn't garbage.

Your body won't "turn protein to fat". I stores surplus calories as fat, period. How many calories in that protein bar?

Old 12-09-2016, 09:12 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
I wonder what this actually does. Does not unused protein go to fat? Yet, a Whey bar isn't a "supplement," like a fat burner.. Is it?

I'm hoping to again fill my days with work, and I am counting calories today. I am at at least 740 today, possibly 1000 as I didn't factor in the 6" Steak and Cheese sub, the sustinence of what I had today. I sipped coffee and orange juice, however I ate

240 calories (Beef Jerky)
plus 80 calories (slice of cheddar cheese)
Then worked
Then the sub
Sipped the coffee and drank the OJ here

Then had a Kit Kat (420 calories)

Had some Chicken Noodle soup (calories unknown)

Now I'm sipping the OJ again

Now the day is winding down.

So, I am counting my calories. My goal is to consume less than 2000 and I did NOT eat as much as I usually do today. I also worked, and am burning it off.

Does Why protein after a workout just make you fat? Or, do your muscles use it.

?
Well first off, you can ignore Hakkarin's post as he is off the mark...like usual. How much protein you need is a function of your weight, lean body mass, goals, and so forth. Giving a static recommendation in terms of total intake is not going to work and his recommendations are far too low unless you are a very slightly built man or a woman.

So how much protein do you need? Somewhere between 1 gram and 2 grams per pound of lean body mass, typically.

Can excess protein be converted to fat? Yes, if it results in a energy surplus, but that would be almost impossible to do.

Quote:
Answer: Ok, first things first. The example given above is absurdly non-physiological. The satiating power of protein would make such a high protein consumption impossible. That is, 5000 calories of pure protein is 1250 grams of pure protein. Can’t be done. Beyond that, while the biochemical pathways for the conversion of protein to fat do exist in humans, the likelihood of it ever happening in any but the most absurdly non-physiological circumstances are effectively nil.
Excess Protein and Fat Storage - Q&A : Bodyrecomposition

I think that should cover it.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Not sure what your goals are, but if you're trying to lose weight by counting calories, you have to get in the habit of measuring everything and looking it all up. A 6" steak and cheese sub from Subway with no mayo or sauce is 380 calories. Depending on what kind of bread or cheese or toppings you had it could have been more than that. The chicken noodle soup has calories, as does the orange juice.

Most people underestimate the number of calories they're eating and overestimate the number of calories they're burning when they work out. Then they get upset because they're not losing weight. You need accurate information if it's going to work.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:10 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,501 times
Lay off the whey protein. You only have one liver.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:18 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
You need to be more accurate about your calories, or at least round up instead of down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness