Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:19 PM

51 posts, read 43,679 times

Advertisements

so i have both an exercise bike and a rowing machine. (both cheap so not exactly professional standard)

what are your takes on both machines.
can you lose weight with either one? which one is best? do you own your own exercise machine? what machine has worked for you?
you get the idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,808,730 times
The best one is the one you will spend more time on.
Rowing machines are great because they work all of your body, but I will stay on a bike a lot longer than I will the rower.
Why not do both? It really is not an either or.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,996,290 times
The rowing machine has been discussed a few times in various threads.

The best thing is to get outside, and get in a real rowing shell, or on a real bike. But I realize that not everyone is as lucky as I am living in Southern California where we don't have cold winters.

If your rowing machine is a cheap "piston" type one, you'll get a workout, but not as good as you would from a Concept2, RowPerfect or WaterRower. You have a bit more leeway on a cheaper stationary bike.

A rowing machine will burn more calories, and give you a total body workout, but you really need to learn good technique to use it properly.

If you are not training for rowing or cycling specifically, use both - either on alternating days, or by doing 15-20 minutes on one, then another 15 -20 minutes on the other.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,122,144 times
Personally, at the gym when I'm done with my strength training I do about a half hour on the rowing machine or sometimes do a Spinning class but I find the cheap home versions rather annoying. I would take the rower myself but what ever you choose it's worth it to spend a little more on a quality machine. They can be found used for a fair price.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:57 AM

51 posts, read 43,679 times
figured i would add an image of the rowing machine i have, i have used it before it's pretty good for a cheap piece of machinery. sounds like rowing machine is the way to go then =)

Old 12-12-2016, 11:08 AM

29,500 posts, read 22,599,978 times
Machines, free weights, bike, elliptical, it all doesn't matter.

What matters most is what effort you put into it. One machine is not necessarily better than another.

So stop worrying about which is better, and pick one and give maximal effort on it.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenHeartSleepingMind View Post
so i have both an exercise bike and a rowing machine. (both cheap so not exactly professional standard)

what are your takes on both machines.
can you lose weight with either one? which one is best? do you own your own exercise machine? what machine has worked for you?
you get the idea
You purchased both, so tell us which one you like better?

For me personally, the rower is the way to go. Specifically though, a Concept 2 rower. But I'll add that exercise bikes performed in the manner of spinning classes are pretty good as well.

It all really boils down to the intensity of the workout, moreso than just the piece of equipment. With all that being said, I much prefer the rower to the bike, but spin classes are awesome.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 PM

306 posts, read 364,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
For me personally, the rower is the way to go. Specifically though, a Concept 2 rower.
Another vote for the Concept 2. I've had my Model C for 13 years now and have easily gotten my money's worth out of it.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:52 PM

18,997 posts, read 27,536,451 times
Ahh, THAT rowing machine. Naahhh, you much better off doing real rowing.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:32 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,996,290 times
I bought a used Concept model B for $100. its solid and does everything its supposed to. The thing is well over 20 years old and rows like it is brand new. They are definitely well worth the investment if you decide to buy new, and even more importantly - use it. BUT make sure you learn how to row it. Bad technique will give you a bad experience.

My rowing club has the latest and greatest equipment, and we replace a few units every year, selling off the older ones.

I'll agree with ukrkoz, nothing beats actual rowing. Since a rowing shell (boat) is inherently unstable, you also develop good core conditioning keeping it balanced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness