Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:35 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
Homeless shelter. None of that stuff.

And before you ask: They dont let outside food or drink in.

There.
This is burying the lede a bit. Had we known your unusual situation from the beginning we could have given you better advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 02:40 PM

1,180 posts, read 777,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I thought you were going to do an experiment to let us know whether the calorie count was accurate...I'm disappointed.
I can.. How would I do that?

As part of the community, I can do certain things as I better myself and make changes.

Negative Nancies, STFO.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:43 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
I can.. How would I do that?

As part of the community, I can do certain things as I better myself and make changes.

Negative Nancies, STFO.
I think you have to light them on fire or something....I can't remember but it could be fun .

Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
I dont have the ability to cook food. I dont live in a standard living unit.

That said, I am actively endeavoring to eat healthy... Or, healthiER.

My sodium may be high, yes.... I drink much water...

Next question: Is sodium really bad for you? I read many things and do not know what is real...

If I can remain at these 1600 calories... Then I created a calorie deficit...

Asking and sharing in the interests of fitness...
Sounds like you're way more concerned with skinny than healthy.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sounds like you're way more concerned with skinny than healthy.
First question: Am I doing the right thing by even actively TRYING to make a calorie deficit?

Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
You need fruits and vegetables in there. Otherwise where are you going to get fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and folate? None of them are present in meat in significant amounts.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:38 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, why are you eating garbage? I can see one piece of garbage (one lovely "burrito"), but you are piling it on.

I would have thrown up after that breakfast. The idea of exercising after eating that crap is ... well ... horrifying.

"Big breakfast" doesn't mean 1,150 calories' worth of crap.

Again, why are you eating this stuff? OF COURSE people thought you were trolling, because your OP was, well, bizarre.

That statement makes no sense, given what you have eaten.
damn I had 3 of these the other morning I better start reading the small print

Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You need fruits and vegetables in there. Otherwise where are you going to get fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K and folate? None of them are present in meat in significant amounts.
It is better to eat the whole actual fruit such as an Orange vs "juice," right?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:47 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
If youre gonna be negative, then do not contribute. ... I don't need your crap.
OP, I really did not mean to hurt your feelings, and I apologize because I apparently did. You wrote that you had 2 McDonald's sausage burritos and 4 Reese's peanut butter cups for breakfast ... I think you must know that that is not at all a healthy breakfast?

I was being honest when I said that I could not exercise after eating that kind of food for breakfast -- I really would throw up. Honestly, it would likely make me just want to go back to bed -- it would not give me the energy I need to start my day.

And BTW, I personally like a large breakfast most days, so I think your "plan" of getting more calories earlier in the day makes sense. For me, it means egg whites (or sometimes half eggs, half egg whites) scrambled with cheese, mushrooms, onions, spinach, other veggies that I have on hand -- it's typically filling AND very tasty as well as being healthy. I usually add at least 1 piece of fruit (typically a banana, sometimes mixed berries if can get them on sale) and sometimes a piece of toast (cinnamon-raisin bread with reduced-fat margarine is a favorite). After all that I am usually "good to go" for the morning!

I see from post #16 that the shelter where you live doesn't allow ANY "outside" food -- that is really too bad. Even so, McDonald's for breakfast isn't a good choice (not to mention, I assume that gets expensive after a while?). Why not just go to a local grocery store and buy some fruit and other "simple" things and have them? (Actually, I have recently seen commercials for McDonald's that mention their "new" muffins -- I think even those might be better than sausage burritos and Reese's peanut butter cups. Lots of sugar, alas, but not too much other "crap.") Also, some convenience stores -- at least where I live -- have microwaves so that you can immediately heat up whatever you buy (e.g., I know my local Cumberland Farms store has them).

OP, I give you a lot of credit for your workouts -- not many people could swim a couple of miles. (I sometimes have trouble JOGGING a couple of miles on my treadmill! ) Exercising is definitely one way to stay healthy even when you live in not-ideal circumstances, but it's kind of "canceled out" if your eating is really awful. (And BTW, I eat crap sometimes too -- just not a lot, and no candy for breakfast. I know my big breakfast weakness -- donuts!! -- and I keep them out of the house except for a couple of times a year.)

I do wish you well, OP. Please keep us posted!

Old 12-14-2016, 05:49 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,556 times
OP,

Since you have very limited access to healthy food at present, may I suggest you ask around about churches that may be providing breakfast or lunches to individuals in need. Where I live there is a church that serves breakfast M-F to anyone who comes to their door. Several other churches in the area will have a "soup kitchen" lunch available (each church providing a healthy lunch on a different day of the week).

These meals are not just for the homeless. Many people come for the companionship and the sharing of a meal. Others come as it helps to stretch their food budget for the month.

Even if you can find only one place where you can eat a healthy meal once a week, it would help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness