Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:37 AM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times

Advertisements

Don't know if I already responded, but to me, for the long haul, it only means losing the unnecessary sugar and most hinges with white flour. I think pasta and potatoes and other root vegetables are part of a healthy diet. I do not eat much rice or bread either, nor do I drink fruit juices.

I'll enjoy a piece of cake once in awhile, but day to day I don't eat sugar or snack items with flour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:50 AM

284 posts, read 490,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
That's not true. Protein doesn't cause gout. Diets laden with unsatured fat and refined sugar causes gout. If you want gout, eat flour fried in soybean oil and have a Pepsi. If you want to cure gout, eat steak and baked potatoes.

The American diet is VERY low in protein. Only around 18% of our calories are from protein. I suggest eating 40-50% protein to lose weight, and make sure as much of your fat is natural saturated fat as possible. Red meat is best because it is the cleanest meat with the highest quality protein and highest concentration of vitamins. The only protein source superior to beef and lamb is eggs. Eggs are the #1 healthiest food on Earth unless you can stomach beef liver.

I probably only eat 30% protein now, but that's because I have a 29" waist and a 40" chest now...used to be the other way around...

Please tell us the source of the figure of 18%, and your qualifications for making the recommendation of
40-50%.
I am not saying you are wrong because I don't know; but unless you say where the information came from you are offering an opinion, not stating a fact.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:45 AM

924 posts, read 2,599,009 times
So much evangelizing and bro-science in here.

"Carbs are the devil and must be eliminated!"

"Your body needs carbs and you'll die without them!"

I think the most important thing, as some other posters have mentioned, is to find a diet that works for your body and activity level.

After trying many different diets I have become a huge fan of the Carb Nite diet. Basically I eat low carb (< 30g/ day) for 6 out of 7 days a week. Then on day 7 after lifting I try to "carb up" and eat as many simple carbs as possible within the window of the day. The mindset is that you get the weight loss benefits of a keto diet but you also replenish the glycogen stores in your muscles once a week and get your hormones back in line. You get a day a week where you can essentially eat whatever you want but it is built into the diet. It is NOT a "cheat day". When I hit my target weight I normally add another carb up day in and slightly increase my daily calories to maintain.

My activity level is pretty high. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 2-3 times a week and I hit the gym another 4 days a week. My workouts are HIIT cardio and circuit based weightlifting (low weight, high reps, no rest).

I've found that diet works well for me because I have issues with moderation so it lets me hit both extremes of dieting and allows me to perform well in my workouts.

On the other hand my brother is a competitive, natural bodybuilder who have very low body fat and lots of muscle mass. He refers to his diet as "flexible dieting" but as I understand it he sticks to pretty specific macro-nutrient ratios. He eats plenty of carbs and is a big proponent of what he calls a "normal person breakfast". I'm the opposite and try to go at least 14 hours between my last meal of the previous day and breakfast the next day.

We are both successful at working towards our very different goals so the key is to find what works for you and most of the time that takes a lot of trial and error.

Last edited by tercel95; 07-18-2017 at 06:11 AM..

Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 AM

50,488 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

Approaching this in a practical sense. If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?

- HS
I eat lots of hard boiled eggs, nuts, cheese. I do make mashed cauliflower which can get expensive but not too bad, it's just the cauliflower. I don't eat a lot of red meat, buy lamb chops every so often when on sale. Lunch at work is my spicy habanero cheese, eggs, nuts and a little fruit.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:33 PM

10,865 posts, read 7,289,546 times
I avoid grains and sugar. And potatoes. And red meat, but not for weight loss reasons.

I eat fruit and veggies and peanut butter (!) and eggs and poultry and seafood and nuts.

And sometimes I eat carbs, including bread and ice cream. But it's rarely, not every day.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:24 PM

9,321 posts, read 11,072,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

Approaching this in a practical sense. If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?

- HS
Cookies. Brownies. Cake. Ice cream. Mandarins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness