Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:13 AM

307 posts, read 363,181 times

Advertisements

Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

Approaching this in a practical sense. If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?

- HS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Ok,

Just about every other person who has successfully dropped weight says "my secret was cutting out carbs". Good advice ok, but the question is: Is this not expensive? Carbs make up just about every meal I eat during the day. Cereal, sandwiches, mashed potatoes.

Approaching this in a practical sense. If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?

- HS
Eggs, cheese, fresh veggies, almonds, chicken, beef, pork, turkey, coconut oil, etc.

No, it's not more expensive. You are no longer buying the crap - no cereal, bread, pasta, rice, chips, cookies, crackers - the items whose packages keep getting smaller, but the prices keep increasing! Also, without the sugar, the cravings stop and you no longer have the need to snack. My grocery bill has decreased.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:48 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
It's empty carbs that are expensive. Hi protein foods are very filling, so it takes very little to feel satisfied.
Most low carb eaters, after the original induction period, still eat higher carb vegetables, like potatoes and other root vegetables, and occasional fruit.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Changing the diet to Whole Foods vs packaged also benefits by expanding ones culinary skills, which is more work standing and cooking/cleaning vs grab and go.

Every little thing adds to a great big thing.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:57 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Changing the diet to Whole Foods vs packaged also benefits by expanding ones culinary skills, which is more work standing and cooking/cleaning vs grab and go.

Every little thing adds to a great big thing.
I could eat low carb out of any grab and go section of the typical grocery store.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:04 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
If you cut out carbs, what do you replace it with without breaking the bank?
Protein and vegetables.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I could eat low carb out of any grab and go section of the typical grocery store.
One CAN eat a low carb out of mcdonalds if they want.

If one limits their caloric intake at 30% carb based or less, upping mono saturated fats and proteins, most invariably begin the leaning process even without significant increase in exercise.

Just 'low carb' is, to me, like saying financial security. Without a plan it's just words and often results in no long term change in behavior.

That's just my experience

Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
We eat too much protein. Everyone has bought into this myth that we need to up our protein intake. Please do more research on different types of eating before falling onto a bandwagon.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
We eat too much protein. Everyone has bought into this myth that we need to up our protein intake. Please do more research on different types of eating before falling onto a bandwagon.
We don't eat too much protein. We often eat saturated protein. And we often choose fruit over vegetables. And we are often sedentary can active...

Yes too much protein and sedentary lifestyles can contribute to gout, heart disease, etc... but 'too much protein' is just as misleading as eat more protein, less carbs.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I don't eat any more protein now than when I ate the SAD diet. I do eat more fat, however.

My way of eating is low carb, moderate protein, and high fat. I've never been healthier, more fit, or felt better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness