Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Same here in my ten years experience with Crossfit. Not just no labral tear from kipping, but not a single CF training related injury. NONE. ZILCH.
Worst I've personally witnessed was a dislocated finger (guy dropped the barbell and tried to "catch" it after it bounced). The worst I've personally suffered was some tendonitis in my wrists.

Never seen or heard of anyone hurting themselves doing kipping pull-ups at any of the gyms I've belonged to - which would include several hundred people over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I've been doing CrossFit for 7+ years, 4 different gyms across 3 states. I've NEVER heard of anyone getting a labral tear from doing kipping pull-ups. I've never met anyone who got rhabdo, either.
That does not mean it doesn't happen.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Quote:
I've been doing CrossFit for 7+ years, 4 different gyms across 3 states. I've NEVER heard of anyone getting a labral tear from doing kipping pull-ups. I've never met anyone who got rhabdo, either.

I'm not saying it can't happen, it just seems far more unlikely than you apparently think.

FWIW - I've got my CrossFit Level 1 certification and I think that credential alone is WHOLLY insufficient to start your own gym or do your own programming. There are a LOT of crappy CrossFit gyms out there. Shop carefully.
In the case of kipping pull-ups or any exercise in general I suppose, is what is the function and is there a safer or more efficient way to do it? What are the trade-offs?

Honestly, I can't answer the first question about the function of that exercise, so I have no idea how to answer the second part of the question.

What is the point of kipping pull ups?

Old 01-09-2017, 09:32 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,917,770 times
I prefer to be a muscle god, not some twink doing jumping jacks and kipping pullups

Old 01-10-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
That does not mean it doesn't happen.

No, it certainly doesn't. However, it's not nearly as common as some people seem to think, either. That was my point.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
In the case of kipping pull-ups or any exercise in general I suppose, is what is the function and is there a safer or more efficient way to do it? What are the trade-offs?

Honestly, I can't answer the first question about the function of that exercise, so I have no idea how to answer the second part of the question.

What is the point of kipping pull ups?

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/in-...ipping-pull-up

Sums it up pretty well.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:40 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
I don't believe in kipping pull ups.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I don't believe in kipping pull ups.
They look like a great way to get injured.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:23 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
One of my good friends is a cross fit nut. She goes almost daily and has competed in their competitions and does quite well. She is ripped. However when she tells me about the WOD all I can think about is how awful it sounds. I have no desire to do repetitions ad nauseam. Most of it sounds like torture to me. To each his own.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:31 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:

I'm not saying it can't happen, it just seems far more unlikely than you apparently think.

FWIW - I've got my CrossFit Level 1 certification and I think that credential alone is WHOLLY insufficient to start your own gym or do your own programming. There are a LOT of crappy CrossFit gyms out there. Shop carefully.
this. Ive been CFing for about 10 and have yet to see a case of rhabdo(though I agree, it can happen) and kipping pullups are just fine. And that's from someone who does kipping with a current torn labrum(tore it in college playing intramural softball). However, I will say that butterfly pullups can up your chance for shoulder injury. You dont see as many people do them as in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness