Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
For about my first 8 years of CF, I did 4-5 metcons and 4 days of heavy lifting a week. I'm surprised it took this long, but about year 9(last year) I started noticing how worn down I got. Never much energy in the gym, muscles always tired(not sore but tired). Starting last February or so, I went sparingly til about November.....sometimes 1 day a week, then didnt go for two weeks. I got into road biking and back into mountain biking. Started back in November, but have been striving to keep it at 3 days week with two other days either being a longer hike or a short run. I feel so much better now. Muscles never feel tired all the time, and energy levels are higher. I do feel like CFers sometimes neglect to listen to their body, even though they know better. We always want to keep pushing.

I have not had that same experience, but I'm not at year 9/10 quite yet. Will I? Maybe so. Maybe not.

CrossFit definitely seems to attract a certain personality type. Do other activities like marathoning attract the same kind of folks? I think they might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,188,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I have not had that same experience, but I'm not at year 9/10 quite yet. Will I? Maybe so. Maybe not.

CrossFit definitely seems to attract a certain personality type. Do other activities like marathoning attract the same kind of folks? I think they might.
It's possible that you might be an outlier similar to Dean Karnazes, who has a genetic condition where he can rapidly flush lactic acid out of his system. During a test for lactic acid threshold, the doctors eventually gave up.

Dean Karnazes can jog 350 miles without stopping thanks to rare genetic condition | Daily Mail Online

Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 PM

375 posts, read 296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard16 View Post
I want to crossfit train. But i dont know how or where to begin. I have a gym membership, so I have acess. Just not the knowledge.
You can do Crossfit types of WOD's (workout of the Day, in XFit parlance) on your own in any well-equipped gym. Just print out some XFIT workouts off the Net or you can purchase--or get from the library--a book that will describe most of their WOD's.

All CrossFit is, is circuit training. Functional Fitness. You just keep moving at a rapid pace from one exercise to the next, stuff like: 15 goblet squats; twenty burpees; a 400 meter dash; and then 10 pull ups. See how many sets of these you can do in, say, ten minutes. That sort of exercise is called by the XFIT guys "AMRAPS" and stand for "as many rounds as possible." The XFit exercises are also often named for women, for some reason. Although there is thew dreaded Murph, named for an Army officer who was killed in action in Iraq I believe. The Murph is brutal. You can look it up online.

So yeah, just print out some XFIT AMRAPS or WOD's and choose the ones you like and can do at the gym and have at it. And feel free to tweak them on your own as you see fit. No CrossFit police is gonna come looking for you! LOL. Or make up your own AMRAPS..which is what I do.

I took CrossFit classes at a local JC a couple of years ago. For two consecutive semesters. Then I stopped and now whenever i DO workout, I employ XFIT style circuit training. I DO believe--mostly--in the CrossFit way of thinking, that you need to "keep the muscles confused" and use functional fitness exercises, as well as keep the heart rate up, so as to attain optimal fitness.

Word of caution: XFIT can be daunting for the non-elite or the casual athlete. The injury rate for those two demographics who first do XFit is also significant. Proceed slowly. Better to go slow at first, beneath XFit intensity levels, then to jump right in at full blast and injure yourself.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any other Q's for you on CrossFit.

quick joke: How do you know id somebody is doing Crossfit?

"Don't worry; they'll tell you!"

LOL

Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:

im much better at listening to my body now. I still exercise 5 days a week usually, but like I mentioned earlier, a couple days are things that are easier on your body like a bike ride or a hike or 2-3 mile run. There were a couple other people in our gym that experienced something similar. Pushed hard 5 days a week for quite a few years(we didnt push for any specific reason, just mainly because we enjoyed CF and being at the gym so much), and then hit a fatigue level that had them scale back their days in the gym. Theyre like me now...about 3 days of CF, no more. Live and learn.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:09 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
quick joke: How do you know id somebody is doing Crossfit?

"Don't worry; they'll tell you!"

LOL
i know it's a joke and I know it depends on your circle, but even though Ive got alot of CF friends on facebook and instagram, only two or three actually post CF stuff. You know what I see the most of? People constantly posting their distance runs and their routes and people who post about Spartan Races nonstop.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
i know it's a joke and I know it depends on your circle, but even though Ive got alot of CF friends on facebook and instagram, only two or three actually post CF stuff. You know what I see the most of? People constantly posting their distance runs and their routes and people who post about Spartan Races nonstop.

Truth. Map My Run/Ride and all the Spartan Race stuff is WAY more prevalent, outside of private gym groups for members specifically, on my feed.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:27 PM

375 posts, read 296,869 times
Quote:

As a marathoner I can tell you that, yeah, you'll encounter a fair proportion of the same "Type A" gung ho, X-Game loving, alphas while running a 26.2 as you would in a Xfit box. But the percentage of that demographic is substantially less among the runners than is CrossFit.

Marathons actually get all types: from your aforementioned, to your laid back health nuts; to soccer moms, weekend athletes who just want to be able to say they're completed one marathon, walkers, you name it. But once yo get into the "Ultra" category of running where you're going for distances of 50 miles or more, crazy stuff often in extreme conditions like the Badwater 125 that's run through Death Valley in the summer (!) then, yeah, you're gonna be chock-full of very intense Type A's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness