Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm afraid I don't believe you.
You can believe whatever you want. I've been working out and running regularly for 30 years. All those gals I see out there in the same age group, hell they look in fantastic shape. It is common. Not unusual AT ALL. Today more than ever in fact. Have you visited a gym , or run a half marathon lately? Or a Mudder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 04:09 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Simply not the case where I work. There are some, certainly.
I don't know what you do, but here at my law firm, it's the case.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I dont understand. Most people nowadays are overweight. WAYYYY more than 20-3- years ago. There are tons of statistics and evidence (just look around you ....). Most people are overweight by age 50 but you say it is more common today to be in shape by age 50? So you say the 1/3 that is not overweight nowadays is more in shape than the 80% that weren't overweight 20-30 years ago?
I am saying that it is more common to see fit 50 year old women today, than 10-20 years ago. Absolutely.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't know what you do, but here at my law firm, it's the case.
To be honest the heaviest people are actually men where I work. One guy is probably pushing for 400 pounds.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:13 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
You can believe whatever you want. I've been working out and running regularly for 30 years. All those gals I see out there in the same age group, hell they look in fantastic shape. It is common. Not unusual AT ALL. Today more than ever in fact. Have you visited a gym , or run a half marathon lately? Or a Mudder?
of course everybody is slim at a sports event. If a city has 1mio inhabitants and you meet 200 at a marathon doesnt really prove that it is so common to be slim and in shape.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:33 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,873 times
Great inspiring story for so may 50plus ladies and gents out there. Although, some important points need to be added for better insight into how this woman is in such great shape.

First of all, she works on a farm, with all that hard manual labor, is like a workout all on its own. Add in her fitness foundation , on the strong side , from exercise while she was young and not a bad start at all. Then consider her physique, she is naturally athletic and toned. Strong arms and powerful legs help propel her through her difficult and taxing body weight exercises. So, in effect she is naturally doing throughout her day what is prescribed for hard core working out enthusiasts or Hollywood actors do to get ready for a physique focused role.

I would assume her diet is home grown and very wholesome with eggs, veggies and meats right from the farm. Not much soda or microwave dinners in her fridge. This woman looks really vibrant and healthy. Not starving or emaciated , which is a pitfall to overdoing in the cal cutting phase of health and fitness.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:46 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Have I ever visited a gym? Are you serious? I have a free membership to FFC in Chicago through work. I'm also a member of LA Fitness and an MMA gym. Have you deadlifted over 500 lbs or gone a few rounds of thai boxing lately? Have you done any 40 mile bike rides lately? You've got some ego there, lady.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Never heard of her myself but right on, she looks great but more so, she healthy. I think women are more proactive with making sure they take time for themselves, better diets and get moving! ...I'm 54, mother to four and I feel great, still have all my parts and in great health, on no medications and had no work done . Eat an all organic plant base diet and runner, lightweights as well~

Last edited by WildCard~; 01-26-2017 at 12:58 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 01:25 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
Quote:
of course everybody is slim at a sports event. If a city has 1mio inhabitants and you meet 200 at a marathon doesnt really prove that it is so common to be slim and in shape.
Exactly. I go to the gym at various times and honestly there aren't that many fit looking 50+ women or men for that matter.

If a person goes to the mall or especially Wal-mart there are way more out of shape 50+ people than there are fit. No comparison.

For those that say there are a lot of women like the one in the picture I'm guessing that they haven't actually seen the women in tank tops or bathing suits. Some people look slim and fit but when they are in sportswear or anything else that reveals skin the muscularity isn't there.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
There are more women, young AND older, at those events than ever before. It is more common to find fit women in their 50s and 60s today, than 20 years ago. It is NOT uncommon, at all. Perhaps I live in a very fit-conscious area, but I cannot tell you how many moms I know that have ditched the flab after 50 and changed their life with exercise. I've worked out all my life, and I know plenty of women just like me. I mean - do you see an older woman that is in shape, and think "OMG!". Really?

Of COURSE there are a lot of older women that are obese. Obesity is very very prevalent. It's insane. I am NOT disputing that at all. But the older women that ARE fit, there are a lot more of them than there used to be. It is nothing special or unusual to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness