Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,543,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
The first link you shared is garbage.

The second one is actually supportive of whey protein, though the author is trying to peddle brown rice protein supplement.

Whey is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 PM

18,770 posts, read 27,196,342 times
You can put 500 grams of protein inside and it will only make you fart a lot.
It's BODY. You need to know what it actually can DIGEST. So there is protein and there is protein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protei...ino_Acid_Score

Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM

4,522 posts, read 5,319,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg

I usually like to have a protein shake after a workout to rebuild any muscles lost. Is a shake with 42 grams fine?
Nothing wrong with that. My only issue is the cost of that - $46.69 for a 12 pack (12 servings).

You would be better off getting a tub of Optimum Nutrition Whey for $59.00 which has 73 servings. You can mix with Almond milk or other drink that has protein instead of water to get more than the 24g of protein per serving. You can probably get 30-35g or more per serving with Almond milk.

Overall, IMO, it just doesnt make financial sense to drink those Cower Power shakes.

Last edited by Kings Gambit; 02-20-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 06:37 PM

29,420 posts, read 22,307,026 times
Protein intake seems to be a frequent topic of discussion on here.

I don't think taking in protein via powders or ready to drink shakes are necessarily bad. You could be putting far worse things in your body like trans fat and ice cream.

If you bodybuild or a serious athlete, then I think the extra protein is useful.

I get most of my protein from food these days as it's not that hard to get in enough protein from food.

Older research from like 2005 suggests that whey protein can help stabilize blood sugar levels when ingested with other foods. But later research seems to indicate that whey protein can spike blood sugar, which seems right since it's a fast acting protein. That's why they recommend whey protein mostly after you work out to feed your muscles.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Don't worry about getting too much protein from supplements you drink. Most of it will be utilized as carbohydrate or stored as fat.
Absolute rubbish.

Quote:
Which means that the odds of protein being converted to fat in any quantitatively meaningful fashion is simply not going to happen. Certain amino acids are processed to a great degree in the liver (as I discuss in The Protein Book) and this can produce glucose, ketones and a few other things. But triglycerides (the storage form of ‘fat’) isn’t one of them.

I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur.
Excess Protein and Fat Storage - Q&A : Bodyrecomposition

Quote:
Here's a couple of links where many of the negative aspects of using protein supplements are discussed.
Most of which is equally rubbish.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Short answer is that your fine taking in that much protein in one sitting. Objective scientific studies have found that there is no real upper limit to protein absorption:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3595342/

Sorry but that upper limit of grams of protein per LMB you listed is a myth. Your body never needs that much protein. Even 1.25 grams/LB is overkill! All the objective scientific studies with no outside agenda have shown that .85 grams/LB is the upper limit even for professionals such as strength/endurance athletes.

With that said, I'm not saying that there is any disadvantage to taking in excessive protein. Just saying that there is no point in being miserable by forcing yourself to take in excessive protein everyday. If you want a very detailed explanation of this read the article below:

The Myth of 1 g/lb: Optimal Protein Intake for Bodybuilders

In fact based on those studies 1 grams/LB is more then enough. So any extra protein you take in beyond that has no benefits in terms of gaining mass when bulking or retaining muscle when cutting. On a side note that website has the most accurate and honest advice I have ever found on the internet regarding fitness in 16 years. I would encourage everyone to check out the articles there.
I've read that link before (it's been posted here a couple times) and it is solid, but missed some key research along the way.

Quote:
So basically we have an intake continuum ranging from about 1.5 g/kg (0.68 g/lb) as a minimum for the obese non-training individual up to a high of around 3.3 g/kg (1.5 g/lb) of protein per pound of lean body mass for very lean heavily training athletes or bodybuilders with middle ground values being found in between those two extremes. You’ll note that I didn’t put any of those values in terms of percentages for reasons discussed in Diet Percentages: Part 1 and Diet Percentages: Part 2.

So that’s what I mean by ‘adequate protein on a diet’ when I use that phrase. It’s context dependent with the primary variables being body fat percentage (as this goes up, protein requirements go down), caloric intake (as caloric intake goes down, protein requirements go up and vice versa), and activity (with regular activity generally increasing protein requirements).
Protein Intake While Dieting - Q&A : Bodyrecomposition

Also talked about in more detail here: Protein Requirements for Strength and Power Athletes : Bodyrecomposition

Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 PM

24 posts, read 30,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
I've read that link before (it's been posted here a couple times) and it is solid, but missed some key research along the way.

Protein Intake While Dieting - Q&A : Bodyrecomposition

Also talked about in more detail here: Protein Requirements for Strength and Power Athletes : Bodyrecomposition
I don't like Lyle McDonald for the simple fact that he disrespects his forum members, potential clients and pretty much anybody who disagrees with him. In other words he is a douche bag. Recently I received messages from many people complaining from his behaviour. He always bans people when they call him out. Always.

The main problem with Lyle McDonald is that he is one hell of a nerd who was always looking like the average 98 pounds weakling. At the same time he is writing routines about bulking up, getting "shredded", getting stronger...etc. He is constantly reporting how much progress his clients are making. Truth be told quite a lot of people actually fail using his methods, himself included. He only posts the successful stories. That's normal. I would do the same. No doubt.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:21 PM

787 posts, read 636,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg

I usually like to have a protein shake after a workout to rebuild any muscles lost. Is a shake with 42 grams fine?
Of course not. I drink a daily shake of around 85 grams of protein and that's often after a workout.

If you are trying to build mass, surplus calories with enough/extra protein. If you are cutting, keep a high protein intake and just drop to a calorie deficit and keep the fats and carbs to a minimum. Easier said than done but that's the jist of it.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 AM

876 posts, read 804,824 times
Have you ever considered eating, you know, FOOD? That protein powder stuff is not necessary for the average gym rat. And it can cause all kinds of digestive problems like foul gas and constipation. Have you ever really considered what it is and how it's made? A lot of them are just protein pre-digested with chemicals. Blech!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my95tsi View Post
I don't like Lyle McDonald for the simple fact that he disrespects his forum members, potential clients and pretty much anybody who disagrees with him. In other words he is a douche bag. Recently I received messages from many people complaining from his behaviour. He always bans people when they call him out. Always.
Ignoring the fact that you're wrong (and I've been a member of his forums for about a decade now) no one here cares about your personal issues with Lyle. Go take it up with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness