Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times

Advertisements

I'm a 40 year old male. I've been fairly active in my life in the gym and doing martial arts and cycling but we had a kid 2 years ago and I pretty much gave up the bike and martial arts and my gym time is 2-3 45 strength training sessions per week which combined with sedative job and "ok" diet has put about 20 lbs since the baby. Recently I decided I'm going to do push ups every day in addition to gym since I can at least drop and give myself 20 every hour or two at work. I've been doing 100 push ups per day in 10-20 push up chunks for a week. I'm very sore but I also feel stronger and I've gone from being able to do 10 crappy push ups at a time to 20 good push ups at a time. Next I plan on moving toward more push up variations and hopefully one arms in the future!

But everything I've learned about training over the years makes me wary of overtraining so I'm curious if any of you do push ups every single day without a break? My uncle was in the Marines for 20 years and according to him he did push ups and ran with an 80 lb backpack everyday so I know it's possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 03:06 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,092 times
Not an answer to your question but I've been using PushX3 pushup bars and they are a killer for pushups.

https://www.pushx3.com/

Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
I do not know about every day, but I do them a whole lot, a good percentage of my days over the decades I did do them.

Not to the extent you state; I do them for warming up on my lifting days, and for my muay thai days there are a bunch. Generally only 5-6 time a week, but also low as 2-3 times a week.

You would have to be really pushing it to over train on push ups. I doubt a hundred a day comes even close.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Not an answer to your question but I've been using PushX3 pushup bars and they are a killer for pushups.

https://www.pushx3.com/
Looks like an updated Perfect Pushup. I'll check them out.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:25 PM

703 posts, read 612,526 times
I used to do pushups every day. yep. Overtrained a lot. The rule for exercise is if you can do it everyday, you are not doing it very intensely. If you're doing it intensely you won't be able to do it every day.

Quote:
My uncle was in the Marines for 20 years and according to him he did push ups and ran with an 80 lb backpack everyday so I know it's possible
"According to him"

Old 03-09-2017, 04:25 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
I do pushups twice a week. Even though you only use not even your full bodyweight in a pushup I don't think its a good idea to do them everyday if you intend to do high repetitions. Muscles need time to recuperate. If you're doing a lot of reps in the pushup every day you run the risk of injury. You might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later you will probably incur an overuse injury in your shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaz1FKnixlA

Old 03-09-2017, 04:45 PM

375 posts, read 296,701 times
^^^^^^^^^^
This!

I also think that 100 a day is excessive. Nobody needs to do that many. Two sets of 20 or so three times a week is plenty. But you need to do other muscle groups as well. And as far as benefitting functional fitness, push ups aren't really all that and a bag of chips. This is why XFit--who specializes in useful functional fitness--really doesn't have alot of them in their various WOD's.

Besides, weren't you complaining about gaining weight from your sympathetic pregnancy? LOL (Cracks me up how that works with dudes sometimes, when their wives have kids.) So you should find a cardio exercise that you enjoy, and get into THAT instead of hammering out useless p/u's every day like clockwork. I'm gonna so so far as to call push-ups one of the most overrated exercises out there. But this is just my opinion and experience, and I have not researched the matter, outside of my own experience as being a longtime athlete and gym rat.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:01 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
These days I only do push ups as a warm up for thai boxing. I traded in push ups for free weights.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,918 times
I sometimes do Hindu pushups as a finisher exercise for chest

Old 03-11-2017, 01:32 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I'm a 40 year old male. I've been fairly active in my life in the gym and doing martial arts and cycling but we had a kid 2 years ago and I pretty much gave up the bike and martial arts and my gym time is 2-3 45 strength training sessions per week which combined with sedative job and "ok" diet has put about 20 lbs since the baby. Recently I decided I'm going to do push ups every day in addition to gym since I can at least drop and give myself 20 every hour or two at work. I've been doing 100 push ups per day in 10-20 push up chunks for a week. I'm very sore but I also feel stronger and I've gone from being able to do 10 crappy push ups at a time to 20 good push ups at a time. Next I plan on moving toward more push up variations and hopefully one arms in the future!

But everything I've learned about training over the years makes me wary of overtraining so I'm curious if any of you do push ups every single day without a break? My uncle was in the Marines for 20 years and according to him he did push ups and ran with an 80 lb backpack everyday so I know it's possible
I rarely do pushups and don't see any reason to do them since I lift and do bench presses 2-3 times a week. At 62, I can still do 40-50 pushups. If you can do that many, the exercise is strictly an endurance exercise. Do you ever see someone doing 50 reps on the bench press?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness