Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:10 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get stronger hands and build my forearms. Is this worth the purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm looking to get stronger hands and build my forearms. Is this worth the purchase?
Yes. Handgrips, at least the kind where you can adjust the resistance are good for increasing hand strength. I have the kind shown in the picture below where you can add springs to increase the resistance. I wouldn't limit myself to just handgrips however. Exercises such as wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, hammer curls with a dumbbell, and reverse curls are valuable for building forearm size and strength.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
If you go to a gym, see if they have a fixed wrist roller (Google - Rouge fixed wrist roller to see what it looks like). This is a piece of equipment that attaches to a rack at the individual's shoulder height. You attach a kettle bell to the strap and use just your hand, wrist and forearm to roll up the weight. This way you are not using your upper arm and shoulder strength and it forces you to use your hand, wrist and forearm to do all the work.

A year ago I could barely use a 3 pound dumbbell to do wrist curls. I started using the wrist roller about 10 months ago. The average person should be able to wrist roll 15% of their body weight. For me, that would be a little over 16 pounds. Today, I am working on wrist rolling a 53 pound kettle bell ( the 44 lb kettle bell was getting too easy). That is 48% of my body weight!

I have added an inch to my forearm ( was 8", now 9"). I think my trainer was even surprised when he saw me using a 44 pound kettle bell - that is when he told me the average person is doing good if they can do 15% of their body weight. (I am female, 110 lbs., age 69 - if I can improve my hand, wrist and forearm strength - it should be even easier for guys to do so.)

Old 04-07-2017, 02:13 PM

136 posts, read 129,763 times
Lots of ways to get strong hands. Do what the pro strongmen do:

-Use grippers for low reps and singles (Captains of Crush are great, but start at the trainer or #1).

-Fat Grips--basically thick rubber cylinders you put over a standard bar to train the grip.

-Fingertip push ups---go for max reps. Excellent way to work your extensors.

-Wrist Roller for reps/time.

Train your hands like any other bodypart, no more than 1x a week for heavy exercises and 2x a week for rep/time exercises. Consistency really is key.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
pull ups, deadlift, rows, anything that involves pulling because you need a good grip on the bar...

or get a large cast iron pan then go outside and swing it like a bat

Old 04-08-2017, 10:09 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I got a better method of improving your grip strength and forearm size, and it doesn't require any piece of equipment.

You don't even have to go to the gym, you can do it at home in the privacy of your own home.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I got a better method of improving your grip strength and forearm size, and it doesn't require any piece of equipment.

You don't even have to go to the gym, you can do it at home in the privacy of your own home.
I fothat one too.

My problem is my left wrist is stronger then my right.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 PM

154 posts, read 132,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Learn to play the piano, it will develop strength in the forearms and give you a creative outlet for your frustrations.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:52 AM

4,564 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Best method Ive seen for training the forearms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CntG1pXfPI

Another similar method is if you have access to some old school dumbbells (not the hex kind) where you can add plates, just put a weight on one side, then grip the other end of the small bar with your hand and make circles.

You can also do with meathead here is describing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5SKBRXAR1Q

Old 04-15-2017, 06:24 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
You could simply hang from a bar. If that gets too easy, go to one arm or use a towel.

Just be careful about going to failure. Your tendons and ligaments have a lot of potential to become strong, but they are also sensitive, so you have to be careful with excessive fatigue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness