Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 05:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times

Advertisements

OP, at your ht/wt it's less about losing weight than changing your composition. Now, you've been told multiple times you can't spot reduce and that's a fact. At the same time you're getting a lot of advice to work your obliques and while that's not bad advice, it's not necessarily going to lead to reduction in the fat you're trying to target. Now it's still good advice because it still conditions the muscles.

With that said, intervals are a good fat burner. If you have access to a track, spring the straights, walk the turns, or something like that. If you have a place where there's a track and a pullup bar, incorporate pullups into your sprints, and mix pushups in with your pullups. There's an insane amount of different combinations you can do with just a few different types of exercises. A lot of people like HIIT training because it's fun, keeps you moving, and assuming you have the access to a place to train, you get to be outside instead of inside a stuffy weight room.

With that said, don't be afraid of the weight room. Compound lifts are one of the best things you can do for your body. When you get a chance, fire up the google and read up on the Stronglifts 5x5 program. Muscle is your body's fat burning engine, so if you go this route instead of HIIT, you'll probably still really like the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 05:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
You can lose weight but you don't get to pick the location! You can choose to work the muscles under this area and it may give you some improvement in appearance if you never let up on the exercises. If those options don't give you what you want, the answer is lipo. There are some fat deposits you can't get rid of. They just are what they are.

The love handles are tough. Almost everyone has some excess fat there and as you age it tends to get worse.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Not fat. 20% BMI is a desireable body weight.

Most Americans are over 35%.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmicalc.htm

Lift weights, add upper body muscle and those handles won't stand out. Work on your core strength.

Slide show: Exercises to improve your core strength - Mayo Clinic
BMI is not a percentage. It is just a number. Body fat percentage is completely different.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:28 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Cool sculpting

Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
I hope this isn't anything against the forum rules...

The first pic was something I found on internet. Now this one... This is my body:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2di37yx.jpg

https://ibb.co/d9u1ak
There really isn't a fat issue here IMO, if you want to improve here clean up your diet. If you think it's clean go see a nutritionist

Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 AM

853 posts, read 648,144 times
I love making abs. Several years ago I went to a gym and I had a routine based on abs. Because I still remember some of them, I am trying to do abs at home. However, I would appreciate if you could recommend me useful side and oblique abs.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:08 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
BMI is not a percentage. It is just a number. Body fat percentage is completely different.
thanks for the correction

Old 05-08-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
However, I would appreciate if you could recommend me useful side and oblique abs.
I provided a link to a lot of youtube demonstrations - take your pick

Old 05-08-2017, 04:21 AM

853 posts, read 648,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I provided a link to a lot of youtube demonstrations - take your pick
Sorry, I forgot that link. I will take a look. I think I get the clue: good diet, exercise and abs. I accept my body as it is, just want to improve a little and enjoy dressing instead of blaming why "those pants" don't fit me.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:11 AM

It'll just take regular exercise, maybe some cardio (running), and watch the bad food (fatty, high cal food).

I'd recommend lifting, strengthening fitness - do you have anything like that where you live?

It's fun and you get results. I have.

This kind of fitness class 3 times a week is really good....the video quality isn't good, but I wanted to share for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlkniRP_g8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness