Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 PM

20,650 posts, read 8,405,516 times

Advertisements

It's easy to see where most of the Snowflakes get their news from, thinking they are informed. PMSNBC, Counterfeit News Network, Deface the Nation, Meet Depressed. What happened to your mantra 'love trumps hate?' Go put on your pussyhats and sit in the corner sucking your thumbs. Let the grownups talk now.

Back to the topic at hand. I believe our cells are genetically programmed to die at a certain point. However, the choice is do you want to spend the last five years of your life bedridden with tubes in every orifice or be mobile and independent, then die suddenly?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:26 PM

5,122 posts, read 4,453,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Donald Trump thinks exercise makes you die young | The Independent

President believes that people are born with a finite amount of energy and therefore shouldn’t exercise if they want to live longer
I had a good laugh with that one. Where does he get these ideas from?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,980,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
No idea what he's babbling about and not even going to bother looking, but...

Excessive exercise, poor diet (in both directions), and/or having a body that's in poor shape can certainly cause premature death.

Not sure on the figures, but I'd imagine the number of out of shape people who decide to go for a run and drop over from a heart attack is probably alarmingly high.

That said I also believe your genetics plays a much bigger role in your life expectancy (and stress) than diet or exercise do. Trump's mother lived into her late 80's and his father into his early 90's so it gives him a little leeway to be healthy, but out of shape.

You also see those fluff pieces on centenarians and the one thing all of them have in common is horrible diets and approaches to heath, which is just another reason to believe genetics is playing a big role here.

Exercise IS bad for you in the sense that most people don't like doing it and many don't believe the trade off in health benefits is worth the loss of that time they've spent exercising. Sort of the same mentality as the cancer patient who continues to smoke or the heart attack risk continuing to eat red meat. Sometimes life isn't in how many years you get, but how the years you get are spent.

Edit: Most of the time the studies fail to mention inactivity leading to a shorter lifespan has more to do with developing clots and other similar things, not specifically the lack of exercise.

Have you looked at the guy? Everything else aside he strikes me as lacking in foresight, not intelligence. He also seems to get enjoyment out of trolling people. I've always thought of him has the Caddyshack/National Lampoon movie character that is the kid in the country club who is only there because of his parents and nobody really likes him.

Today's 90 and 100 year olds didn't grow up playing video games, eating Hot Pockets and guzzling bottles of soda. They probably slacked off during middle age, but were most likely quite lean most of their lives. Trump is 70 and has been wealthy is whole life. He has access to the best doctors and decent genes, so he'll probably live a long time, but not look as good as other people around his age that live healthier.

Trump doesn't drink or smoke, which probably balances his poor food choices.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 PM

22,601 posts, read 24,409,835 times
Yes, some people drop-dead while exercising! I guess you could consider that premature expiration.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:25 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,541,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I'm starting to believe Trump is insane.

He's set a precedent for himself, that he has to maintain. He examines every issue carefully and determines what the rational and beneficial course of action would be. And then does the exact opposite.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:38 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,492,400 times
Oh, yay! How does he feel about eating 6 jelly doughnuts a day? I've been having a craving, but need his expert opinion first....

Old 05-11-2017, 03:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,262,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, some people drop-dead while exercising! I guess you could consider that premature expiration.
it would be interesting to know how many lives have been extended by exercise - as well as quality of life improvements they have as they age......

Old 05-11-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Back to the topic at hand. I believe our cells are genetically programmed to die at a certain point. However, the choice is do you want to spend the last five years of your life bedridden with tubes in every orifice or be mobile and independent, then die suddenly?
Exercise has so many benefits backed up by the experts: most of all reducing the risk of heart disease....atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). Most people who moderately exercise throughout their lives prolong it and have improved quality of life.

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity...ascularDisease

Yes, Trump was right in that exercising can cause premature death - Jim Fixx, long distance runner, could have lived longer. Some people exercise with underlying disease/pathology and die suddenly because of it and might have lived longer without exertion.

Last edited by BucFan; 05-11-2017 at 03:42 AM..

Old 05-11-2017, 03:42 AM

I have a feeling that Trump was influenced by Jim Fixx's death

THE DOCTOR'S WORLD - JAMES FIXX - THE ENIGMA OF HEART DISEASE - NYTimes.com

Last edited by BucFan; 05-11-2017 at 03:57 AM..

Old 05-11-2017, 05:33 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,898,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Today's 90 and 100 year olds didn't grow up playing video games, eating Hot Pockets and guzzling bottles of soda. They probably slacked off during middle age, but were most likely quite lean most of their lives. Trump is 70 and has been wealthy is whole life. He has access to the best doctors and decent genes, so he'll probably live a long time, but not look as good as other people around his age that live healthier.

Trump doesn't drink or smoke, which probably balances his poor food choices.
You know, if you look at it from the longevity perspective Trump might actually be one of our healthiest presidents (not the most in shape mind you).

You're right they didn't grow up eating hot pockets and soda, they smoked and drank, hard. They played with lead toy soldiers and painted their barns with paint full of it. And survived many wars. It's a miracle so many lived for so long.

I tend not to take medical "experts" too seriously as it wasn't that long ago they said salt is perfectly fine for you and smoking before that and I bet a lot of today's designer drugs actually shorten your life a good bit.

One of the things I've noticed that does a lot of people in is going from a physical job to sitting around in retirement not doing much of anything. Another is being too active in old age and say breaking a hip. A lot of those people don't make it through the surgeries.

If it came down to eating healthy and exercising or good genes and great healthcare I'm betting on the latter every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness