Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:30 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Is this a troll thread???

I expected you to say she exercises several times a day an hour each time.

I would be happy she exercises instaed of laying on the couch or playing video games.

How about you exercise a little with her? Seems like you need it

Seems like a bit of an unnecessary burn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 10:15 AM

20,755 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Seems like a bit of an unnecessary burn
I was just making a joke. But if someone thinks an hour a day is EXCESSIVE, this person doesn't seem to know much about exercising. It is safe to assume, she does not exercise at all = unhealthy = why not start now?

Old 06-22-2017, 12:41 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Quote:
I was just making a joke. But if someone thinks an hour a day is EXCESSIVE, this person doesn't seem to know much about exercising. It is safe to assume, she does not exercise at all = unhealthy = why not start now?
Totally agree with this. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 AM

645 posts, read 749,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
My daughter would like to join track next year. I was not allowed to be in any sports in high school, so I have no experience here. She has been running or using a stairclimber for exercise. The other day she was on it for an hour, which I thought was excessive. I want to support her, of course, but also want her to have healthy, moderate behaviors. Is an hour of running or other exercise per day bordering on obsessive? This is high school track here, not any kind of professional training.

I run for over an hour every day outdoors. An hour is not excessive at all. She probably just really loves track and wants to do well. I wouldn't worry unless you see her starving herself. As long as she's eating right and staying healthy.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:07 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Frankly, it isn't enough (actually it might be but it isn't going to do much to get her ready.)

HS Football teams routinely practice twice a day, 2 or 2.5 hours at a crack, before school starts.

If she joins the Cross Country Team (which she should) she can expect to train for at least a couple of hours a day.

"Obsessive" is where she's training to the point that her body is breaking down. Hard to do that in one hour.
+1
Once the training season starts, she'll be running a minimum of 90 minutes a day, then more at a gym lifting.

Over the summer before HS cross country season, we'd go out for 8-12 mile runs every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My son is a college athlete (rowing). During the summer he typically works out 8 hours a day. that usually includes a ten mile run, weights, erg time, water time, a long bicycle ride, then more of any of the other things after a nap. I am not sure where you would hit the "too much" level for exercise. Maybe if you worked out more than 16 hours a day and it started invading sleep time.
And the rest of the time, I imagine he's eating

Old 06-26-2017, 10:10 PM

940 posts, read 968,369 times
I would say it's excessive. Over time if kept up your body will start to break down. I switched up my routine and now lift weights twice a week and do cardio for 20 minutes (3 miles) once. I notice my body feels a lot more recovered now and I have more energy, and I'm eating a lot less. Weight is staying about the same. No negative effects that I can see.

If building up endurance it is fine to start our heavy but NOT needed to maintain once there. Throttle back and don't wear your body out. Notice the people who are saying it's not excessive are doing excessive routines...

Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,511 times
I'm going to echo everyone else here. I think you are comparing the time an adult has to a child. With kids of my own and a job, my wife would say an hour each day would be excessive. However, when I was in Junior High and High School, I would run 1 hour every day and walk 1 hour every day. In addition, I would lift weights 30 minutes and stretch 30 more minutes every single day. I devoted literally 3 hours to exercise every day. The remainder of the time I would read or sleep.

A child's body doesn't break down the same way an adult's does, so disregard pipster's post. Nowadays, I don't indulge myself in long workout sessions; I go hard and fast in the short amount of time I have. If I did 3 hours in my 30's, I would break down, but not in my teens.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,408,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I'm going to echo everyone else here. I think you are comparing the time an adult has to a child. With kids of my own and a job, my wife would say an hour each day would be excessive. However, when I was in Junior High and High School, I would run 1 hour every day and walk 1 hour every day. In addition, I would lift weights 30 minutes and stretch 30 more minutes every single day. I devoted literally 3 hours to exercise every day. The remainder of the time I would read or sleep.

A child's body doesn't break down the same way an adult's does, so disregard pipster's post. Nowadays, I don't indulge myself in long workout sessions; I go hard and fast in the short amount of time I have. If I did 3 hours in my 30's, I would break down, but not in my teens.
Exactly this! ^^^^

I think with the OP (Destiny74) its just that she is probably not at all familiar with exercise.

My 9 year old has been doing gymnastics for the past 4 almost 5 years. Since school is out, she's in a gymnastics summer camp where they train for 6 hours every day. This includes 1.5 hours twice per week of serious ballet. Drop her off at 8:00 AM, pick them up just after 4:00 when class is done. Not too much at all. When she's not in camp, she does 3-4 hours of training 4 days a week. We go running or biking together a couple times a week in addition to this.

Kids need exercise. Kids need to do it if they want to compete. Destiny74, dont worry about your daughter. She can actually up the training a LOT more and still be okay.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,338 times
Quote:
An hour could very well be excessive depending on the intensity.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Maybe the OP is a casual exerciser *shrugs*.

I don't think it's excessive for a young person but personally I don't see myself (at 41) running for an hour. I'm not training to be an athlete and I don't particularly care for cardio. 40 mins is enough for me and does the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness