Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 PM

777 posts, read 1,331,632 times

Advertisements

So, I have wide feet that are almost flat. The best sneakers I ever had in the past were Asics Gt-2000 v2 and 3. I've had the v4, but they were somehow narrower and ive read a lot of reviews that the v5 is really narrow compared to previous versions, so I haven't bothered buying them. I ended up switching to Nikes. Horrible idea. Because I now I have really obvious signs of overpronation with these shoes. Sooooo, dilemma. I need to know of other brands and models that are similar to those Asics. I read about Brooks a lot, but they're so pricey! I've also tried New Balance, but I don't like them. They almost feel like wearing a heel, which is weird. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:12 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,119,014 times
I was looking for the right running/walking sneaker for a long time, tried them all, including New Balance. Once a podiatrist told me I have been wearing the wrong size shoe for years, i had to look for a wide shoe. That same podiatrist explained to me how shoes should be supportive, where you cant bend the sneaker near the heel area. When you mentioned it felt like wearing a heel, sneakers are supposed to feel this way, to fit properly.

the NB of the 574 variety, although good looking and comfortable, are very different in all respects to the endcap design of the 900 line. 993/993 is what you need. the 2040 line is also very sweet, but more for a casual everyday look. Get yourself to a NB Factory Outlet store, and hope they have a sale on the 993, or any of the 900 line. I scored 2, 993 at $99 a piece (msrp $159), great investment. I also scored 2, 2040, at $120 a pair (msrp upto $399). The 900 line, a marine issue product, and the 2040, the "obama shoe" get that co sign for a reason. made in america, and made up to spec.

I used to be a big nike fan, air max 95, AF1 , in all colors, but always bought a size bigger to compensate for wide feet. The regular foot lockers , chain do not carry much in a wide, except for those orthopedic looking shoes. I would give NB a second try.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 6,791,917 times
I have flat feet too, not much wide but same thing. I have not found Nike's to be supportive at least in my price range. Best luck has been with Asics trail runnung shoes. I run on regular streets or on a treadmill. I also tried a Saucony (? Sp) and it has been good. I try to alternate my shoes so sticking to only Asics doesn't do it. The NB ones I checked all needed an additional insert-too complicated for me

Old 06-27-2017, 07:58 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,332,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Shoe recommendations for overpronators

Suggestions?
From your profile, it looks like you are in Phoenix Arizona. There are a few good running stores in that area where you should go - Road Runner Sports and Sole Sports Running Zone. Go in, have them do a video analysis of your gait, then let them (who are knowledgeable) make the best recommendation for you based on your budget.

I have "regular" normal feet and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mizunos (almost all of their models but especially Wave Prophecy 6, Wave Rider and Wave Creation) and really like a couple of styles/models of Brooks. Nike makes great all-purpose or cross training shoes, but I wouldnt want them for running (only their Fly-Knit model I like for running).

Not sure what your budget is, but I always tell people to never ever skimp on shoes even if they are just totally newbie runners. Really, ESPECIALLY if they are totally newbies because good shoes are a must. I'd say a good minimum budget for a pair of running shoes is about $120.00. Sometimes previous year models can be found on discount for like $85.00 - $95.00, but you really dont want to go cheaper than that with your running shoes, even if you only walk/run a couple days a week.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:18 AM

404 posts, read 377,066 times
I agree. Go to a running store (we have one here called "Runners") where they will fit you with a shoe. Purchase the first pair there (will run about $120) but you can subsequently purchase the same shoe online or on sale elsewhere forever more.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:41 AM

10,284 posts, read 10,526,742 times
I second the recommendation for Road Runner Sports. They have stores in Tempe and Scottsdale. I have bought many shoes from them online. The trouble with stores that don't specialize in running shoes is they don't have the expertise to analyze your gait. The trouble with small running shoe stores is they don't carry as many brands, sizes and widths.

I don't recommend any particular brand. I've run in most of them. I'm currently running in Asics and don't like them. I was previously running in Brooks and stopped because they lost their cushioning too quickly. I suspect they don't design their shoes for 220 lb. runners.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:23 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,877,810 times
Agree completely with recent posts. Go to a running shoe store without preconceptions, submit to the video analysis and measurements and expect to pay $100+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness