Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet while cycling, skateboarding, or using a push scooter?
Yes 15 55.56%
No 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times

Advertisements

Call me an old 57 year old fart, a weenie, a dork. But honestly I just don't understand why one would not wear a helmet while doing any of the activities mentioned in the thread title. I get it - doesn't look cool. But I think it's a small price to pay not to look cool while protecting myself from being brain damaged or worse.

So for those who don't wear a helmet, just curious if it's not just a fashion thing, why?

This is my push scooter...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Depends on the roads / location / time of day / infrastructure.

Day time, quiet roads that I know - I won't put on my helmet.

Nighttime? I'll put on my helmet. Lots of busy intersections with distracted drivers - I'll put on a helmet.

In Amsterdam where there is good bike infrastructure? No helmet.

I ride slow.

If I was doing any sort of mountain biking adventure biking or in a fast race? Then it calls for a helmet. Leisurely rides in the city? Nope. Your odds of falling are pretty low.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Every time.

Going down at 30 MPH can mess you up bad.
I've also broken a helmet at 10 MPH when a can ran over the front of my bike - I also broke my collar bone and did $2k damage to their car with my shoulder and head. The helmet had a big crack in it, but my head didn't.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 AM

26 posts, read 29,727 times
Yes all the time

Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
It's very difficult to prove that helmets save lives or even prevent serious injuries, and there are a couple reasons for this. http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/29/bu...piling-up.html

One, they may give people a false sense of security, emboldening them to participate in more risky behavior, such as riding alongside heavy traffic, riding faster than is safe in urban areas, or mountain biking on trails more challenging than their abilities. It's called risk compensation. Many parents just strap a helmet on their kids and never go over safe biking practices.

Two, by increasing the leverage effect and torque on the neck in some cases. For instance, many road helmets have an extended back portion for aerodynamic purposes. If a rider is hit from behind and falls backward onto the top or crown of their head, their neck will be bent forward at a more extreme angle than if they weren't wearing a helmet.

I'm not saying don't wear a helmet, they can and do protect riders from injury all the time. They make the most sense to me for bike racers who have to deal with massive pileups involving other cyclists.

It's a personal choice. I used to bike on public roads a lot, but have stopped completely after one too many close calls. The realization hit me that there are too many distracted or hostile drivers out there. The risk/reward for staying healthy wasn't there. A helmet isn't going to do much anyone ground up into hamburger under a vehicle.

Helmets may protect you from some head injuries, but the bottom line is being aware of your surroundings and safe riding / scootering is going to be your best bet to stay alive and uninjured.

To illustrate, the first link seems to indicate helmets save lives, the second, that injuries/deaths have gone up with increased helmet use.
Bicycle Helmet Statistics
http://crag.asn.au/are-bicycle-helmets-dangerous/

Last edited by A1eutian; 07-12-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 02:55 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I was fishing under a bridge one time and a bicyclists crashed off the bridge about 30 ft above and landed head first within about 2 feet from me, I hate to think what would have happened had he landed on top of my head, helmet-first from that height. Later found out the reason he crashed was a bee got stuck between his head and the helmet lining causing him to freak out and crash off the bridge. He suffered a severe brain injury and now has to ride around on one of those sit down bikes and he never wears a helmet anymore.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Basically one of those always should, don't always do.

Back in college/shortly after when bike was my primary mode of transportation, I rarely did. Went to Davis and it 98% of the people do not have helmets. As long as you're on campus/downtown, there's so many bicycles you do have some safety in numbers and generally fairly low speeds. That said, one of the two times I got hit by a car was about three feet from campus. Car driving into the sun turned left in front of me and I rolled off his hood and landed on my head. Helmet would have been nice. Probably wouldn't have had a concussion if I'd been wearing one.

That said, bike helmets are uhh... pretty wimpy. I've had two crashes when I was racing crits and while the helmet certainly helped a couple ounces of Styrofoam is a couple ounces of Styrofoam. Compared with a motorcycle helmet it just feels like riding naked to me.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
No, do not wear a helmet, do not intend to, I do not think it is needed. Has nothing to do with fashion, comfort, looks, etc, it is that I do not want to do it because I find it is not needed.

Safety? Yea, I am sure wearing a full hockey outfit while outside the home would be safe also, as would a full roll cage and safety outfit while driving, but we do not do it now do we?

If I was racing, zooming fast somewhere or something like that, sure, but not for the casual slow ride.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 PM

437 posts, read 335,978 times
Cycling yes. Other two no way. Unlikely that I will firstly fall and then secondly and even more so unlikely hit my head.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:58 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Anything less than a motorcycle - No. Dont want to look silly. There is not enough speed to get seriously hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness