Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 05:02 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not really true. I'm late 40s and I have lost over 100 lbs. Regardless of age, the thermodynamics of weight loss remain the same. If someone is over 40 and say they can't lose weight, I say show me a 90 day food and exercise journal where you documented every morsel of food that went in your mouth and every minute of exercise you performed. The answer will be in the journal.
Wait until you hit menopause honey. The metabolism DOES slow down.

I used to drop 10-20 pounds much easier when I was in my 20's to 40's. Now, not so easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

I used to drop 10-20 pounds much easier when I was in my 20's to 40's. Now, not so easy.
I'm pushing age 50. I just lost over 100 lbs. I guess the metabolic apocalypse is still coming.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:25 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
I've been overweight from my childhood, up, down, 300 lbs to 120 lbs and up and down. I am 61 years old now and am on the HFLC way of eating which has been an absolute godsend. It works.

I will never, ever accept that I HAVE TO BE FAT. It is of my choosing when I gain weight. I am now at 160 at 5'8" and have about twenty more pounds to go.

If you accept being fat, you are really accepting that you just do not care, that you don't want to make good choices and care about your body. Call it what it is.

To each their own.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:40 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

I will never, ever accept that I HAVE TO BE FAT. It is of my choosing when I gain weight. I am now at 160 at 5'8" and have about twenty more pounds to go.

If you accept being fat, you are really accepting that you just do not care, that you don't want to make good choices and care about your body. Call it what it is.

To each their own.
Yup, same here^^. I am same height as you, and as I posted before I lost total of 60 lbs after age 60, but over a period of years. Was stuck at 165 for a long, long time, then I bumped up workouts and tightened up diet and weight fell off. I am now maintaining my 140 (more or less, lol) and that is where I intend to keep it. While it is true that aging and menopause slow down metabolism, one can keep it "fired up" by appropriate exercise (and mixing up that exercise). I don't exhaust myself with it either, most of it is activities I enjoy. It definitely can be done for those who are motivated. it just takes some conscious effort.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have. After eliminating sugar, bread, pasta, alcohol and working out an hour a day 5 days a week and not losing weight for three months I have accepted reality. The weight is here to stay, hopefully it will not continue to rise too rapidly but I'm done watching everything I eat and drink. I would have never imagined my metabolism could slow to its current rate but apparently that is the reality of aging. I still don't eat much sugar since I do think it's bad for your health but otherwise I'm eating what I want.
That's pretty much spot on to what a coworker years ago said. She said that she was tired of not eating this, not eating that, working out all the time, doing everything right and the results were so miniscule for so much work and effort that she said "forget about it, that she's just going to stay fat and eat how she pleases.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

As an older woman Ive noticed fat deposits gather in places that werent a problem ten or 15 years ago.. arms midriff the most with me.. but I suppose we ll all be different.. thankfully it comes off all over when I cut down so its gradually going away although it will never look the same as when younger, but we can try and make a difference..even to feel better.. It does take long to come off I agree, but maybe thats a good thing... as fast weight loss isnt kind to older faces and bodies.. tiny steps is better.. IM reading this site just now and trying to find out about metabolism, but then this is only the one site. some might differ..

http://www.healthsomeness.com/weight-loss-tips/

Metabolism slows down slightly with age, as a result of us having less muscle tissue as we get older, but only marginally. So a 70 kg man who stayed the same weight throughout life would need four to five per cent less energy at 50 to maintain his weight and 10 per cent less by the age of 70, which is why you need to eat slightly less or exercise slightly more as you get older," says Dr Steer. https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/heal...oss/metabolism

Old 07-20-2017, 07:32 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
As an older woman Ive noticed fat deposits gather in places that werent a problem ten or 15 years ago.. arms midriff the most with me.. but I suppose we ll all be different.. thankfully it comes off all over when I cut down so its gradually going away although it will never look the same as when younger, but we can try and make a difference..even to feel better.. It does take long to come off I agree, but maybe thats a good thing... as fast weight loss isnt kind to older faces and bodies.. tiny steps is better.. IM reading this site just now and trying to find out about metabolism, but then this is only the one site. some might differ..

70+ of the best weight loss tips for incredible results | Healthsomeness

Metabolism slows down slightly with age, as a result of us having less muscle tissue as we get older, but only marginally. So a 70 kg man who stayed the same weight throughout life would need four to five per cent less energy at 50 to maintain his weight and 10 per cent less by the age of 70, which is why you need to eat slightly less or exercise slightly more as you get older," says Dr Steer. https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/heal...oss/metabolism
You brought up a good point here (bolded) and this is key. This is why doing some strength training is so effective - it keeps the body burning at a higher metabolic rate. I really started dropping the weight when I upped my resistance exercises a few years ago. And one does not need to spend hours at it, either, I certainly do not. But keeping the muscle tone is extremely important both for maintaining metabolism and keeping blood glucose down, cholesterol down, etc. I noticed it also helped in making my figure more youthful (better weight distribution, etc.)

Old 07-20-2017, 09:44 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Strength training has worked wonders for me. Even before the scale number started dropping, things started to firm up and become more defined. Muscle toning or building gives the appearance of being fit and lean. People can tell that I work out vs. just being thinner. I don't care about thinness, but I do care about fitness.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
I think for me it is not really about accepting or not acceptiing being fat.
It is accepting that my piece of mind is more important to me then a number.
It is about getting other people's ideas about what the right size or right way to look is
It is deciding I don't want to be a slave to my image because it is not worth being miserable over.
It is about trying to be liberated from the "I have to look" a certain way to be happy because this is not true unless we make it true. We choose our own attitudes.

I do try to excerise and enjoy doing so... but it is not the focal point of my entire life.

I don't want to end up like my freinds who have had eating disorders and complusive exercise disorders since being teenagers. They might look good in that outfit... but they don't actually seem happy and often not healthy too. Many of them have developed health complications associated with exercising too much and being too underweight at times. I also dont want to end up morbidly obese.

I don't want to feel like I am chaning myself to please other people.

This issue always makes me feel like I am getting pushed in to being what other people might think I should be like.

Also the idea of people being nicer to me because I look different angers the hell out of me and to be honest I know if people I knew started treated me differently/ ex nicer as a result I would become in return extremly mean to them. I don't need or like fair weather freinds.

In truth no one I actually REALLY do respect and would want as a freind should have the mentality that they would bail out or tream me worse if I looked worse?

I would much rather be okay with who I am and maintain a strong character then become some pyscho intake and excerize obessed person. I see both ends of the specturm ex people obessing about intake and exercise and people that are mobidly obese as grossly unhealthy as both extremes are highly associated with mental/ emotinal issues.

I just want to enjoy life in whatever shape I am in on my terms. Numbers on scales go up and down.... but my mental health is my core.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:09 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I am very weak due to a form of hereditary peripheral-neuropathy.

So if I let myself go, I would soon have much trouble walking and moving-around, then after that, it is onto a fatcart for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness