Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,398,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The dynamics of nutrition after about 55 change radically for many people, though. Starchy (carby) foods provoke much more of an insulin reaction, after significant hormonal decline, and insulin causes fat gain. People at that age, unless they're on hormone replacement, need to cut back on carbs more than earlier in life to see progress. Weight Watchers, and other calorie-counting diets won't work, because they still allow sugar and starches. The dynamics of the metabolic hormones change, with middle-aged changes in the endocrine system. This is why some doctors tell their patients past a certain age to give up. Other doctors acknowledge that, while weight loss is possible, it requires a lot more effort after a certain stage of life.
Hey, I agree. But in the end, it's still calories in, calories out. I would advocate that people look into ways of maximizing the natural fat burning process like using a ketogenic diet or using intermittent fasting or regular fasting. They help re-balance insulin levels.

Have you seen the stories of people over 50 that get bariatric surgery? Do you know why it works? Because they can't take it all of the calories. Same basic thermodynamics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 02:02 PM

18,748 posts, read 11,708,497 times
Nope I can not accept this fat belly. I'm in the very early stages of heart disease. I do not want to go through open heart surgery. That extra 20 pounds has to go.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,758,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The dynamics of nutrition after about 55 change radically for many people, though. Starchy (carby) foods provoke much more of an insulin reaction, after significant hormonal decline, and insulin causes fat gain. People at that age, unless they're on hormone replacement, need to cut back on carbs more than earlier in life to see progress. Weight Watchers, and other calorie-counting diets won't work, because they still allow sugar and starches. The dynamics of the metabolic hormones change, with middle-aged changes in the endocrine system. This is why some doctors tell their patients past a certain age to give up. Other doctors acknowledge that, while weight loss is possible, it requires a lot more effort after a certain stage of life.
At 48 I went on WW and lost 40 pounds. I am 5'4 and I got down to 119 lbs and stayed there for quite some time. I am now 55 and weigh 130 and I am fine with that weight. I had already tried the low carb route. For me it was a no go. I also knew that being in my late forties I could forget about the 2 pound per week loss and be happy with a 1 pound per week loss. Because I pushed my exercise goals and worked out like a mad woman, (which I enjoyed) I ended up averaging 1 1/5 a week. I also had the freedom to eat what I liked like bread and pasta and I drank wine too! I was just smart with my calories.

Woman after a certain age are going to have to face the fact that it will be harder and take longer to achieve weight and fitness goals. But they can be done. And there is no one diet that works. The key is to find an eating plan that fits in with ones lifestyle and can continue on after that weight loss is achieved.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:05 PM

703 posts, read 608,279 times
Quote:
Anyone here ever gave up - decided to accept FAT?
Most of the advice here is good. There's more impact to me made focusing on diet rather that exercise. Cutting carbs is probably better than most other approaches. etc etc

As far as the title question. In an interview I saw with the actor Brian Dennehy the subject of his weight came up. He said: "There's an old saying: 'Inside every fat man is a thin man trying to get out'. I say: 'Inside every fat man is another fat man saying 'Oh, the hell with it'."

So, there's at least one person who decided to not fight it altho he did admit it probably cost him some featured roles in films.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:44 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,011,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I was just saying why some give up to being fat. I have worked out and documented my diet for years and I am very honest (weigh everything). I know a lot about nutrition and eat cleanly. Maintaining my weight and even losing weight (after holiday eating) was always easy and simple for me. But those same tactics now are exponentially harder as I get into the late 40's/50's. Yes I can tweak my diet and eat even less and add more strength training (recommended for aging) but that just feels like an even bigger mountain to climb. OP asked about people "giving in" to being fat and I think this is a huge reason why people do.
This is very true & I had to learn it the hard way.

I had a pretty good figure for most of my adult life; even with all of the kids I've had. I'm 5'10" & would weigh well over 200lbs at full term & be back around 140 within 6 months. I was active but in retrospect; not active enough for that! Probably more judgemental too; now that I think about it.

For several years after I turned 45, the weight started creeping on. Pretty soon I was at 200lbs & my youngest was already 11. I cut out everything "bad" & I tried to increase my activity & I lost 13 lbs. That was it; a whole 13 lbs.

Then I had to have surgery for a cyst that was overtaking one of my ovaries & got put on BC for regulation. All of a sudden my clothes were hanging off of me; I lost 30lbs in 2 months & I promise you; it was in spite of me not because of me!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 AM

50 posts, read 34,577 times
Somewhere between giving up and seeing how much more I can try. It is always difficult. I am also struggling from my sedentary lifestyle - it is seem so hard to maintain a disciplined routine. I am also trying different approaches that can help me. From weight loss recipes I am trying regularly until the different exercises, tips and techniques. Maybe I'll finally give up until I ran out of new things to try.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,756,895 times
Just because you accepted being fat does not mean you should also accept being healthy.

You can be fat AND healthy.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:39 AM

7,112 posts, read 4,950,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Hey, I agree. But in the end, it's still calories in, calories out. I would advocate that people look into ways of maximizing the natural fat burning process like using a ketogenic diet or using intermittent fasting or regular fasting. They help re-balance insulin levels.

Have you seen the stories of people over 50 that get bariatric surgery? Do you know why it works? Because they can't take it all of the calories. Same basic thermodynamics.
You're right except for the "basic thermodynamics " part. It's more complex than that. A calorie is not a calorie-- it depends on the source of the calorie. An intake of excess carbs is turned into fat, mediated by the action of insulin. When glycogen stores are used up, then fat stores are turned into ketones (for solubility) if insulin is in low supply (ie- low carb intake) and moved to cells for use as the energy source.

Contrary to popular myth, obesity is not "the cause" of any disease. Those with the genetic background of diabetes &/or metabolic syndrome are prone to accelerated arteriosclerosis when they consume excess carbs--which also makes them obese.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,497,220 times
I have. After eliminating sugar, bread, pasta, alcohol and working out an hour a day 5 days a week and not losing weight for three months I have accepted reality. The weight is here to stay, hopefully it will not continue to rise too rapidly but I'm done watching everything I eat and drink. I would have never imagined my metabolism could slow to its current rate but apparently that is the reality of aging. I still don't eat much sugar since I do think it's bad for your health but otherwise I'm eating what I want.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 AM

18,438 posts, read 18,546,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I think there are many women who come to a big point of struggle once they hit the age of about 45+. Losing weight not only becomes much more difficult, but the hormonal changes also make the body want to hang onto fat.If you have always had a weight problem you start to realize that the "someday I will be slim" fantasy will never happen.The same rigorous workouts and disciplined food plans that used to result in weight loss don't work anymore and that can become very discouraging. I am continuing to fight the battle but boy, I can understand why others give up..
Well just before I hit 70 I thought about my lifestyle and eating habits... I knew I was more than a stone maybe even two stones over what I should be... not a big deal but Im small and showed it more... I went all for it. cut out all the junk, no more silly foods that dont fill you but that are cravings , and bad habits, they all had to go.. now my treats are very low fat yogurts and fruit and I love it.. no more ice cream, cakes, biscuits, crisps. chips, and loads of mashed potato with butter that I loved. all gone.. its coming off slowly in the past three months , the way I wanted it as too old now for faddy diets that leave you feeling drained hungry and gaunt.. Im feeling much more active too.. and lighter on my feet.. dont find jobs around the house so difficult either.. IM sticking with all this good food, fish, chicken, low fat cottage cheese , home made tomato soup , never hungry and I feel good...I dont have scales but might invest in some now , I dont want to be skinny or the weight I was in my forties which was 8stones.. my face couldnt take that now so Id be happy with 9and a half stones .. very happy. clothes look better too..some dancing round the living room to music.. some twists and bends and Im lucky to be able to do all this some cant at this age...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness