Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You're right except for the "basic thermodynamics " part. It's more complex than that. A calorie is not a calorie-- it depends on the source of the calorie. An intake of excess carbs is turned into fat, mediated by the action of insulin. When glycogen stores are used up, then fat stores are turned into ketones (for solubility) if insulin is in low supply (ie- low carb intake) and moved to cells for use as the energy source.

Contrary to popular myth, obesity is not "the cause" of any disease. Those with the genetic background of diabetes &/or metabolic syndrome are prone to accelerated arteriosclerosis when they consume excess carbs--which also makes them obese.
I agree with you. However, even if a person was on a strict keto diet, they still cannot take in 5k calories a day and expect to lose weight. They have to balance the chemistry with their caloric intake levels. The body needs a reason to turn to its stored energy (fat). It needs a caloric deficit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have. After eliminating sugar, bread, pasta, alcohol and working out an hour a day 5 days a week and not losing weight for three months I have accepted reality. The weight is here to stay, hopefully it will not continue to rise too rapidly but I'm done watching everything I eat and drink. I would have never imagined my metabolism could slow to its current rate but apparently that is the reality of aging. I still don't eat much sugar since I do think it's bad for your health but otherwise I'm eating what I want.
Sorry, but do you have a 90 day journal. The body is designed to be able to manage changes in weight. Slow metabolism is just a popular excuse. Have you had your metabolism tested? How do you know it's slow? There could be many reasons why you didn't lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 05:16 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,944,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just because you accepted being fat does not mean you should also accept being healthy.

You can be fat AND healthy.
Is it considered "healthy " to have foot and leg pain from forcing the lower extremities to carry more weight than they should? When a person is so tired they can't go out and do the more physical activities they used to enjoy doing when they weighed less?

That whole "fat and healthy" idea is just a BS excuse people tell themselves to avoid addressing the problem.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Is it considered "healthy " to have foot and leg pain from forcing the lower extremities to carry more weight than they should? When a person is so tired they can't go out and do the more physical activities they used to enjoy doing when they weighed less?

That whole "fat and healthy" idea is just a BS excuse people tell themselves to avoid addressing the problem.
Reduced mobility is the secret elephant in the room for many in the fat acceptance movement. If they don't have any of the big comorbidities like high BP or diabetes, they believe they are okay.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,226,222 times
I think I'm too vain and health-conscious to ever get to that point.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 AM

769 posts, read 782,032 times
I did the ketogenic approach. Super strict low/no carb and combined this with cardio (ran approx. 600 miles since February) and 3 times a week gym (weights).

Fat melted away very quickly. What took about 20 years to accumulate was gone in less than half a year.

It's eye opening to realize how fattening food is. A tiny no sugar / mostly fiber carb protein bar (like the Quest bars) is almost 200kcal.
I'm on a cruise ship right now and seeing what a typical breakfast plate looks like removes all doubt why people are fat. There must be an average of 2000kcal of syrupy waffles and fatty bacon just to start the day LOL!!!!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:18 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just because you accepted being fat does not mean you should also accept being healthy.

You can be fat AND healthy.
Quote:

Your missing the point.

Her point is that you don't going to give up on eating well and exercising, but that you do accept that you might never have a models body.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:19 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I did the ketogenic approach. Super strict low/no carb and combined this with cardio (ran approx. 600 miles since February) and 3 times a week gym (weights).

Fat melted away very quickly. What took about 20 years to accumulate was gone in less than half a year.

It's eye opening to realize how fattening food is. A tiny no sugar / mostly fiber carb protein bar (like the Quest bars) is almost 200kcal.
I'm on a cruise ship right now and seeing what a typical breakfast plate looks like removes all doubt why people are fat. There must be an average of 2000kcal of syrupy waffles and fatty bacon just to start the day LOL!!!!
I don't think that a cruise ship is a good indicator of how people eat every day. Most people don't have a buffet open to them every morning.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Your missing the point.

Her point is that you don't going to give up on eating well and exercising, but that you do accept that you might never have a models body.
I don't think the average woman is aiming for a model's body. Being larger than size 2 doesn't mean someone is fat. The poster in question used the term "fat" so I assume they were speaking of a fairly large person (size 18 and up).

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Here are a few tips that have helped me lose/maintain. This of course assumes one is eating good quality "healthy" food (whatever that means to you, vegan, paleo, omnivore, etc)

I eat a decent breakfast in terms of calories which for me usually includes protein, fat and carbs and fruit. I then do my long workout - bicycling mixed with my strength set. I tend not to eat a true lunch, rather a snack of perhaps cheese and an apple, or rice cakes with hummus. Some days I do not even eat that. I find if I eat dinner very EARLY and am able to process my food and wine and go to bed "empty" I do not gain weight! Even if I have "indulged" in some "naughty" foods! With that said, I never, ever go overboard on "stuffing" myself with anything like I once did. Several nights per week I also have a dance class, so if I eat light (and early) it is a win-win!

Lastly, I would say that outside of sugary things like pastries, cakes and pies, etc. the absolute WORST food for weight gain is bread! Stay off the bread! That bloats up me and my husband like you would not believe.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:

That's a big assumption. Not everyone has these issues at all. Just because you are overweight does not mean you are inactive and exhausted all the time. Certainly some people are, but it isn't universal.

My grandma was chubby after menopause, yet she was still energetic and an avid gardener up until her last years and she had Alzheimer's. I have other relatives who at her size were not mobile. There is not a one size fits all version of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness