Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times

Advertisements

No, I didn't accept it. At 41, I did something about it and lost about 70 lbs (221 --> 151).

Coloradomom has a valid point. At middle age, the cards are stacked against you. There is a noticeable metabolism change. Your body composition changes. Simply "not eating" with no exercise no longer works. I now have to work out four days per week when I only worked out three days in my 20s. So yeah, it's double the effort. Many people do give up because they feel the effort is not worth it. I used to think that my thin days were over too. I had put on more weight than ever before (60 lbs) and didn't think it would ever come off. Then there was the gain/regain thing. But then I had my aha moment and decided I was going to try. I went all in. Changed my eating habits, worked out regularly. With hard work and perseverance, I lost all of the weight. Exercise helped with body composition. I'm in far better condition now than I've been in a decade! So yeah, it can be done. It's all up to the person. If they don't want to put in the effort, then expect to pay the piper down the road when it comes to health problems. At 40, I was diagnosed with two chronic conditions, one of which is serious. Who knows what would have happened if I didn't lose weight. I'd probably have more. It's not just about looks, it's about health too.

People seem to focus a lot on diet. Diet is just one component when it comes to weight loss, especially as we age. I consider working out to be very important, right on up there with eating well. People who truly care about their bodies (which many fit people do) do not eat gargantuan amounts of garbage. When I work out, it's a given that I eat healthy (most of the time). I don't want to impact my physical performance by overconsuming. I've returned from vacation and I'm carrying ten extra vacation pounds. I didn't work out and I feel like crap. Once I hit the gym though, things will be right back to normal. I'll feel better and look better. I literally feel like I'm carrying around extra weight. For me, simply reducing intake doesn't work nearly as effectively as working out and watching what I eat. Lifting weights really helps with the composition. Prior to vacation, I was sporting a six pack and I have guns. Cellulite has largely disappeared and the only reminder of my overweight days is the loose skin at my lower ab region. I attribute all of that to exercise. Not working out is shortchanging yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 AM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
Oh yeah, btw, I lost weight eating a grain based diet (55% carb). I'll never do keto/low carb. Not for me, my body can't take all of that meat and fat (hello digestive issues, as I found out this past week). Somehow my fat stores were burned even though I ate (and continue to eat) carbs. At the end of the day, it is calories in and calories out. At least that's what my experience has been.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
At 80, I have accepted I am over weight but the doctor doesn't even say much about it anymore. Not even my cardiologist has much to say. One thing I have noticed, people who lose a lot of weight when they are over about 65 look awful and generally are not in much better, if better at all condition than those who pay little or no attention. OH, I do try to lose a few lbs just so my clothes look better on me and yes, I am sorry I ever allowed myself to get this heavy, but that was then, this is now. Overall I am in good health and do not look anywhere near my age.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,758,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I think I'm too vain and health-conscious to ever get to that point.
Vanity is a huge component to keeping a good healthy weight. If you care about how you look chances are you will do what you can to look your best. My biggest motivator is how I look. The health part is a wonderful side effect to vanity!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,758,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Oh yeah, btw, I lost weight eating a grain based diet (55% carb). I'll never do keto/low carb. Not for me, my body can't take all of that meat and fat (hello digestive issues, as I found out this past week). Somehow my fat stores were burned even though I ate (and continue to eat) carbs. At the end of the day, it is calories in and calories out. At least that's what my experience has been.
You and I could scream this from the rooftops but some people will never allow themselves to understand that there is more than one way to eat and lose weight and be healthy.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,398,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You and I could scream this from the rooftops but some people will never allow themselves to understand that there is more than one way to eat and lose weight and be healthy.
There is no one size fits all solution for weight loss. Do what works for you. Some can benefit from low carb /keto and some won't.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,177,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I ask because I've recently upped my workout routine to challenge myself to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm a person who doesn't fat shame, brow-beat, or criticize people due to their size but for me, I can never accept being fat personally or even overweight which is what motives me to work out and I'm late middle-aged.

I travel a lot with work which involves staying for six weeks or longer across the country so I can't always maintain the same exercise schedule. Of course, some days I'd rather stay in bed instead of getting up at 6 am to run when I'm at home or walking four miles in a hilly area after dinner. I've remembered over the years that many of my friends have given up on working out. One associate even said "forget about it, I'm just fat" meaning she is tired of working on her body and is at peace with remaining fat. Has anyone here done the same? What pushed you to do so?

I exercise because it makes me feel good. It has never made me skinny or beautiful.

No matter my size, age, and health, I've been involved in my sport for 35 years and will continue to train and teach it.

Weighing 10-15 lbs less has never made me healthier and it plumps my wrinkles out, if I have any.

Working out will enhance your health regardless of your weight OP. Perhaps change your mindset as to what you wish to achieve from your regimen.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:35 AM

769 posts, read 775,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't think that a cruise ship is a good indicator of how people eat every day. Most people don't have a buffet open to them every morning.
True but it does show how people stop caring about calories (and no, just because you are on a cruise ship doesn't mean you should consume 8000 calories a day) and if someone goes so way overboard at a buffet chances are they don't realize that they overeat regularly. That's why I also noted how many calories a tiny healthy protein bar has. A lot of food is simply very fattening.

If you gorge on a breakfast buffet I doubt you have the required control to eat right in daily life. I personally believe that only a tiny minority has health problems that prevent them from losing weight. It really is all about intake and exercise combined.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 AM

951 posts, read 1,133,423 times
Hell no, I'm going to be way hotter in just a few months. My weight is one of the few things things that I can control to better myself, so might as well keep it healthy. It's not worth it to let myself go and eat myself away. Not only will I look terrible, but everything else that comes with being overweight is terrible. I am not "fat shaming" as I used to be overweight as well. I know how horrible it was being overweight and unhealthy. It's not just about looks anymore. I want to live a quality life, and I can't have that without health.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,398,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
I exercise because it makes me feel good. It has never made me skinny or beautiful.

No matter my size, age, and health, I've been involved in my sport for 35 years and will continue to train and teach it.

Weighing 10-15 lbs less has never made me healthier and it plumps my wrinkles out, if I have any.

Working out will enhance your health regardless of your weight OP. Perhaps change your mindset as to what you wish to achieve from your regimen.
Being 10-15 lbs over your "recommended" weight is not fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness