Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 09:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,577,898 times

Advertisements

I ask because I've recently upped my workout routine to challenge myself to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm a person who doesn't fat shame, brow-beat, or criticize people due to their size but for me, I can never accept being fat personally or even overweight which is what motives me to work out and I'm late middle-aged.

I travel a lot with work which involves staying for six weeks or longer across the country so I can't always maintain the same exercise schedule. Of course, some days I'd rather stay in bed instead of getting up at 6 am to run when I'm at home or walking four miles in a hilly area after dinner. I've remembered over the years that many of my friends have given up on working out. One associate even said "forget about it, I'm just fat" meaning she is tired of working on her body and is at peace with remaining fat. Has anyone here done the same? What pushed you to do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 09:34 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Upping your workout to drop 10-15 lbs is probably the wrong approach. If you need to drop those lbs you should address your diet and that's exactly why people may say "forget it I'm just fat" because they don't want to address the intake

Old 07-15-2017, 09:57 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
You cannot outrun your fork.

Cut out refined sugar, reduce carbs.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,783 times
I think there are many women who come to a big point of struggle once they hit the age of about 45+. Losing weight not only becomes much more difficult, but the hormonal changes also make the body want to hang onto fat.If you have always had a weight problem you start to realize that the "someday I will be slim" fantasy will never happen.The same rigorous workouts and disciplined food plans that used to result in weight loss don't work anymore and that can become very discouraging. I am continuing to fight the battle but boy, I can understand why others give up..

Old 07-15-2017, 10:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I think there are many women who come to a big point of struggle once they hit the age of about 45+. Losing weight not only becomes much more difficult, but the hormonal changes also make the body want to hang onto fat.If you have always had a weight problem you start to realize that the "someday I will be slim" fantasy will never happen.The same rigorous workouts and disciplined food plans that used to result in weight loss don't work anymore and that can become very discouraging. I am continuing to fight the battle but boy, I can understand why others give up..
Not really true. I'm late 40s and I have lost over 100 lbs. Regardless of age, the thermodynamics of weight loss remain the same. If someone is over 40 and say they can't lose weight, I say show me a 90 day food and exercise journal where you documented every morsel of food that went in your mouth and every minute of exercise you performed. The answer will be in the journal.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:23 AM

619 posts, read 574,797 times
I think those are two things: I exercise for a number of reasons -I want to strengthen my body, improven my stamina, develop muscles, and feel energized. It also helps me to lose weight but most of *that* struggle happens on my plate.

I am middle aged, and have not yet accepted that I am fat. I have accepted that I won't ever be a size 2 and I have accepted that there are probably areas that will never be as trim as I would like, but I have not accepted that I will remain a size 16 or 18 forever . I'm happy if I could get down to 10-12

Old 07-16-2017, 05:51 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,217,766 times
Yeah, about 2/3 of the population, I'd say.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:36 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,250 times
Never give up- as others said you have to address what you put in your mouth- that is the biggest component. I am past middle-aged (although I feel 40!) and recently lost 28 lb. by following a structured program, with coaching. I had been exercising and was frustrated. Jut decided to bite the bullet and pay the cost of the program (worth it due to the coaching and accountability) and have kept the weight off now for about 8 months, easily.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Yes, guessing by how long i've been overweight.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:49 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not really true. I'm late 40s and I have lost over 100 lbs. Regardless of age, the thermodynamics of weight loss remain the same. If someone is over 40 and say they can't lose weight, I say show me a 90 day food and exercise journal where you documented every morsel of food that went in your mouth and every minute of exercise you performed. The answer will be in the journal.
I was just saying why some give up to being fat. I have worked out and documented my diet for years and I am very honest (weigh everything). I know a lot about nutrition and eat cleanly. Maintaining my weight and even losing weight (after holiday eating) was always easy and simple for me. But those same tactics now are exponentially harder as I get into the late 40's/50's. Yes I can tweak my diet and eat even less and add more strength training (recommended for aging) but that just feels like an even bigger mountain to climb. OP asked about people "giving in" to being fat and I think this is a huge reason why people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness