Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 AM

365 posts, read 256,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Nothing wrong with dairy.

I love these gurus who rightly want people to greatly reduce their consumption of grains, sugars and starches, which are the main culprit in obesity and T2 diabetes. But then they ad dairy (which includes cheese) to the mix.

So essentially, they are asking you to do something that is extraordinarily difficult (reduce grains, sugars and starches), and then make it even MORE difficult by demonizing milk and cheese.
There lies the problem with many promoters of a healthier life. They can't stop with what works for a person. Nothing is ever good enough.

If giving up sugar and highly processed grains works, then give up dairy. That works, so now give up red meat. That works, so now give up all meat and fish. That works, so give up eggs, anything else that comes off an animal. You're a complete Vegan, great! Now make sure all your fruits, nuts, legumes, and veggies are organic. Drink only 100% spring water from Mt. Gitchy Gumby at $3.50 a bottle. It's never enough!

And don't get me started on gym rats... No amount of exercise and/or combination of exercise is enough to keep them satisfied. They always want me to do more, do it differently, and so on. Nothing is ever good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 AM

365 posts, read 256,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well it seems like apparently casein intolerances are surprisingly common and the side effects are inflammation, digestive issues and weight gain. So the reason many people end up losing when giving up dairy, it is because bar allergy had gone undiagnosed. It happened to my cousin!

Casein Protein Intolerance | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
If giving up dairy works for a person then they should do it. But, that is not a reason to advocate that everybody give up dairy as some people do.

Me? I rarely use milk except for cream in my coffee. My dairy is almost all pre-digested products like cheese and yogurt.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 PM

510 posts, read 368,240 times
There's lots of bad advice from people that most assume are experts. I'm a 66 y/o man, I drink at least half a dozen glasses of red wine a day, am 5' 7" and stay under 150 lbs, even with very little exercise. I take Himalaya Herbal Health Care Liver Care formula, proven in 200+ clinical trials to both prevent and reverse liver damage.

Also I take many "dietary supplements" COQ10 for normal triglycerides, Chromium Picolinate for type 2 onset adult diabetes, Odorless garlic soft gels,multi-vitamin, fish oil, probiotic, selenium, Biotin, Folic Acid, Hawthorn Berries for blood pressure, Pygeum for prostate.

For breakfast I just have multi-grain toast sprinkled with cinnamon, and some frozen cherries f/Costco, plus my dietary supplements washed down with Citrucel for regularity, I also have a few pieces of Doce Dark Chocolate as a snack. Then I start drinking red wine an hour or two before dinner, which is skinless chicken from Costco, just reheat and eat. I add Morton Lite Salt with iodine and half the sodium of regular salt, also Paprika, Onion Powder, and black pepper. The chicken is mixed with organic tomato soup. Sometimes I have a vegetable like organic green peas or green beans.

There's an article on msn.com right now about 75 foods you should not eat. Best wishes, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Heres a few key ones

-Laziness
-large meal sizes
-unhealthy meal choices
-Reaching a point of no return
-Health issues preventing or limiting exercise
-Apathy to health and fitness

What are some more reasons?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,747,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
There's lots of bad advice from people that most assume are experts. I'm a 66 y/o man, I drink at least half a dozen glasses of red wine a day, am 5' 7" and stay under 150 lbs, even with very little exercise. I take Himalaya Herbal Health Care Liver Care formula, proven in 200+ clinical trials to both prevent and reverse liver damage.

Also I take many "dietary supplements" COQ10 for normal triglycerides, Chromium Picolinate for type 2 onset adult diabetes, Odorless garlic soft gels,multi-vitamin, fish oil, probiotic, selenium, Biotin, Folic Acid, Hawthorn Berries for blood pressure, Pygeum for prostate.

For breakfast I just have multi-grain toast sprinkled with cinnamon, and some frozen cherries f/Costco, plus my dietary supplements washed down with Citrucel for regularity, I also have a few pieces of Doce Dark Chocolate as a snack. Then I start drinking red wine an hour or two before dinner, which is skinless chicken from Costco, just reheat and eat. I add Morton Lite Salt with iodine and half the sodium of regular salt, also Paprika, Onion Powder, and black pepper. The chicken is mixed with organic tomato soup. Sometimes I have a vegetable like organic green peas or green beans.

There's an article on msn.com right now about 75 foods you should not eat. Best wishes, all.
Where are your veggies?

Old 08-25-2017, 04:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,285,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where are your veggies?
He mentioned it....
Sometimes I have a vegetable like organic green peas or green beans.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,747,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
He mentioned it....
Sometimes I have a vegetable like organic green peas or green beans.
An ocassional veggie is nowhere near the 3-9 a day recommended. I don't subscribe to a lot of the dietary recommendations but one I think is good for everyone is to eat lots of veggies in a lot of colors.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 AM

48,393 posts, read 34,538,432 times
If I ate GWTJ's diet 1) I would be sad, that's pretty plain; and 2) my RA would flare up until I couldn't walk, I need veggies
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-25-2017, 02:18 PM

102,089 posts, read 107,180,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If I ate GWTJ's diet 1) I would be sad, that's pretty plain; and 2) my RA would flare up until I couldn't walk, I need veggies
Everyone needs veggies.

If I ate his so-called "breakfast", I'd end up in the emergency room a couple of hours later. That's a very unbalanced breakfast, but OTOH, Americans tend to be raised with unbalanced, carb-centric breakfasts. Pancakes and syrup would kill me. That's a great way to foster diabetes.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:19 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,007,616 times
What they also know is that what is not measured in the blood is instead largely deposited onto arterial walls.

If you turn on your household water and measure the mineral content, it will appear clean. However, cut open a supply or waste pipe and you will likely be horrified at the mineral deposits on their walls. Same is true of our blood vessels and digestive systems, in terms of fat/cholesterol deposits.

This leads to heart disease for obvious reasons. But also diabetes -- the fat/cholesterol covering the endothelial cells, which control everything that enters or leaves the bloodstream, and thus interfering with insulin production and function. (Thus, sugar does not directly cause diabetes; fat does. Sugar is composed of glucose and fructose. Glucose is metabolized into glycogen and used directly or stored in the liver and muscles. Fructose is metabolized into fat.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Sooo wrong.

They have known for years that cholesterol in food does not raise serum cholesterol. Finally, they admitted it. Look it up. Eat all the eggs you want. Why? Because your pancreas will make less cholesterol. The human body is a wonderful thing.

And there is also no evidence that saturated fat is bad for you. You're much better off eating a 10-ounce steak than the all-you-can eat bread and pasta deal (no fat) at Olive Garden.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Saturated fat does not make you fat. Cholesterol does not raise your cholesterol.

Sadly, you and most Americans are still victims of the 1980's low-fat brainwashing we got from the USDA.
'

Last edited by SomeGuyInFairfax; 08-25-2017 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 06:54 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,007,616 times
The single greatest reason for obesity and its associated problems -- heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc. -- is an Animal-Based Diet.

Meat is the culprit and replacing an animal-based diet with a proper plant-based one will effortlessly eliminate the problem.

Also: Animal agriculture is the single greatest cause of environmental destruction and global warming. Emissions from cars, planes trucks, trains are laughably smaller in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness