Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
So true. Sugar is as addictive as nicotine, and we have numerous companies that serve it up to the masses in the guise of a "I deserve it" reward or an "energy" boost.
8 times more addictive than cocaine (so I have read) and believe it to be true.

The human body love carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Well I like sugar and do not ever intend to give it up. It too can be eaten in moderation, if you train your body.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
Hello, there is a popular myth that claim large percentage of young US population is fat. What do you people see in area where you live ? is it true ?
Generally speaking, it depends on which part of the island you are in. In the upper-middle class sections, people tend to be slimmer and more fit; a reflection of having the money and leisure time to work out, and buy better quality foods. In the working class neighborhoods, you tend to see a lot more obesity, as well as some of the unhealthy type of skinny. Solid middle class neighborhoods are a mixed bag.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Dunno how it is in the US, but in the UK the older age groups, particularly the middle-aged groups, have much higher obesity rates than the younger age groups. All age groups in 2017 are fatter than they were 30 years ago.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:57 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Yep! Too many fast food places. Fast food in the past was a place you did not go everyday.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
"quite a bit" is a massive stretch. BMI is perfectly adequate for a population. Person to person, it's fine for 99.999% of people. People carrying excessive muscle mass is a very, very, very small portion of the population.

Our view has skewed. Even the skinniest state today is fatter than the fattest state in 1985.
Colorado is the skinniest state today - 20.2% of adults are obese.
In 1995, Mississippi was the fattest state - 19.4% of adults were obese.

In 95, 10.4% of Colorado was obese. Today, Mississippi is 35.6% obese. Louisiana is fatter though - 36.2% obese.

There are 4 states that have over 35% of adults obese: LA, MS, Alabama and West Virginia
There are only 7 states (inc DC) that are under 25% obese: CO, DC, California, Hawaii, Utah, Montana, and Massachusetts.
I still don't see it among people I know. The younger generation in the family is just as slim as my generation was in our 20's (and as most of us still are), and my 20-something friends are very thin as well. Teens and college students look the same as those groups did in earlier generations. One thing about Colorado that's changed a lot since 1995 is that the Hispanic population has exploded, and the women are chubby.

This discussion also has me wondering if more people in the 60+ category are overweight than in past generations; could that account for some of the difference? Because other than that, I don't see overweight people as I go around town, day to day.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:20 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Generally speaking, it depends on which part of the island you are in. In the upper-middle class sections, people tend to be slimmer and more fit; a reflection of having the money and leisure time to work out, and buy better quality foods. In the working class neighborhoods, you tend to see a lot more obesity, as well as some of the unhealthy type of skinny. Solid middle class neighborhoods are a mixed bag.
This must be it; certain demographics are gaining weight, others aren't. Some rely heavily on fast food, others don't eat it at all. Also, some of the communities I spend time in and have friends in, on the West Coast don't even allow fast food chains to have a local presence. That would explain why I don't see overweight people there. These are communities where people are physically active in their free time, kids are active outdoors, and parents don't give their kids sugary drinks.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-15-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 12:27 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Do you think it's vanity related (Cal)? I do know that when I lived in cold country (Europe) I really hated the idea of going out to run or doing any exercise. Perhaps the Midwestern states are like that? ...
Perhaps, but there’s also a blue-collar, small-town ethos: people marry young, immediately start having kids, and disregard the particulars of personal health and appearance. Slimness, it seems, is more of an urban and/or white-collar pursuit. The most corpulent individuals can be seen at “traditional” functions: town festivals, moose-lodge/VFW/elks/, car shows, outdoor concerts.

Vanity, for all of its detriments, goes some distance towards preservation of physical appearance. And appearance, while certainly not congruent with health, does correlate with it somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
...I noticed plenty of chubby Europeans... not more or less than I see here. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Dunno how it is in the US, but in the UK the older age groups, particularly the middle-aged groups, have much higher obesity rates than the younger age groups. ...
From my personal observation, Europeans – and especially Eastern Europeans – tend to fill out with age, such that say a 60-year old weighs/looks much the same on either side of the Atlantic. The difference is amongst younger people, say under 30. In many European societies – Europe, of course, not being monolithic – there’s considerable pressure on younger people to be thin. Such pressure of course also exists in the US, but is countered by opposing trends and sentiments. Thus we find the brides and bridegrooms, the fresh college graduates and the summer interns to be so much heavier in the US, than in Europe.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:27 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
8 times more addictive than cocaine (so I have read) and believe it to be true.

The human body love carbs.
good to know. Snort. Keep reading and reporting back to us. I like your way of thinking. Snort.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cent0089 View Post
Hello, there is a popular myth that claim large percentage of young US population is fat. What do you people see in area where you live ? is it true ?
Define 'young US population'...

Where I live, not so much. There a lot of parks and recreation here but maybe all the 'fat' ones are in their homes, in front of their TV's...eating fast food/junk food.

I think it depends on many factors; household income, family lifestyle, parental involvement, friends of the youngsters, neighborhood, so on and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness