Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times

Advertisements

My body cools itself very efficiently as I get very sweaty during workouts. I keep the shirt on so that cool-ish sweat stays on my body, allowing for further cooling. Taking off the shirt will only make you hotter. Africans/Middle Easterners in the desert don't go shirtless in scorching heat. They wear loose fitting, light colored clothing.

I don't really care if someone runs around shirtless. And where I live, it's not always the buff/shredded guys that go shirtless (they usually go with a tight, Under Armor shirt). Women are different. Only those with smaller chests and flat stomachs seem to go with the shorts/sports-bra combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 10:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Exhibitionist. Guy's proud of his body and wants to flaunt it. "Look honey, there goes a douche".

However, it does make sense in high temperature locations.

I do it when running in warm weather, which is almost never here in SE Alaska, but only on trail runs where there aren't many people around.
My shirt probably weighed 3 lbs at the end of the run today. Running over 45 mins with a smoggy shirt isn't fun.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:18 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
Well, obviously because he worked hard to get in the shape he is in and wants to show off that bod! I don't see anything wrong with that. Its not like his "Johnson" is flapping in the breeze for all to see, its just a chest!

Old 10-05-2017, 11:01 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I've noticed that women are very selective when it comes to "equality". Sometimes they want it, sometimes they don't. It depends if it works in their favor or not.
Fortunately, there are no men who are like that at all.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Since when is it "narcissism" for a guy to go shirtless? My neighbor does it all the time, he is 72 and has manboobs. Narcissistic? I don't think so. He simply has a "Y" chromosome and in at least 50 of those 72 years nobody ever gave it a second thought..

Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My shirt probably weighed 3 lbs at the end of the run today. Running over 45 mins with a smoggy shirt isn't fun.
how is that different than the three pounds of breast women run with while keeping the shirt on?

maybe we should push for equally and they need to run shirtless now?

Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
My body cools itself very efficiently as I get very sweaty during workouts. I keep the shirt on so that cool-ish sweat stays on my body, allowing for further cooling.
Cooling results from evaporation. Evaporation will occur from either a shirt or your skin, but nobody loses heat more efficiently than a naked person. That only holds for sure however if the sun is not shining. If the sun is out, a shirt can help block infrared radiation that serves to make you hotter. So it's all a balancing act that depends on local conditions.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
how is that different than the three pounds of breast women run with while keeping the shirt on?

maybe we should push for equally and they need to run shirtless now?
Is it an option for women to remove their 3 lbs breast before a run only to put them back in later? Seemingly a shirt and breast aren't the same in this scenario

Old 10-05-2017, 11:24 AM

157 posts, read 218,236 times
Personally, I tend to go shirtless exclusively in late Spring and early Summer so I don't have the most obvious farmer's tan ever when it's time to go down to the shore in July/August time-frame. I don't think it's big deal that I prefer to accomplish this via running/working outside versus laying down at the pool/beach.

So really, my purpose in going shirtless is ultimately to blend in, not to stand out.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
When it wasn't cold, used to run wearing a ball cap, ear phones, running shoes, athletic supporter, and nothing else. On rare occasions, without the supporter.

This was on my property with the nearest neighbor 1/2 mile away and we're separated by a mini-forest of trees. Did this for many years.

One time the mail lady came up the driveway and another time a carload of Jehovah's Witnesses but in each instance I was able to conceal behind natural cover.
OK- I'm not prude at all, but why????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness