Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times

Advertisements

While modern technology/transportation system do make it possible for a vegan to maintain good nutrition & health, it's not too smart.

Firstly, there is absolutely no credible evidence that a lifestyle avoiding meat is any healthier than one that includes meat in the diet. (Claims that meat causes cancer are bogus studies, asking questions of subjects like "how much smoked cured meat did you eat over the last 30 yrs?" as if you could remember or you never changed your eating habits. Pseudo-science.)

Secondly, to get enough complete protein from plants, you will need to take in excess calories because plants are not very protein dense: for a weight lifter to get 100 g of protein, he would have to take in 3200 cal of oats Cereals, oats, regular and quick and instant, not fortified, dry [oatmeal, old-fashioned oats, rolled oats] Nutrition Facts & Calories or 300 apples- 20,000 cal Apples, raw, with skin [Includes USDA commodity food A343] Nutrition Facts & Calories eight servings of beans- 2300 cal Beans, navy, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt Nutrition Facts & Calories or 5800 cal worth of raspberries Raspberries, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories.

A diet consisting of equal parts of rice, beans & corn (to get a just barely healthy 60 g of complete protein) would contain 3200 cal, whereas just 6oz of beef would give the protein but only 500 cal.

A diet of 2000 cal would make most Americans obese. Playing ice hockey at top speed for only one hour burns only 500cal, for perspective; weight lifting much less (you spend more time resting between sets than exercising).

Fruits are particularly low in protein compared to carb density and should be considered merely sources of sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 08:56 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
While modern technology/transportation system do make it possible for a vegan to maintain good nutrition & health, it's not too smart.

Firstly, there is absolutely no credible evidence that a lifestyle avoiding meat is any healthier than one that includes meat in the diet. (Claims that meat causes cancer are bogus studies, asking questions of subjects like "how much smoked cured meat did you eat over the last 30 yrs?" as if you could remember or you never changed your eating habits. Pseudo-science.)

Secondly, to get enough complete protein from plants, you will need to take in excess calories because plants are not very protein dense: for a weight lifter to get 100 g of protein, he would have to take in 3200 cal of oats Cereals, oats, regular and quick and instant, not fortified, dry [oatmeal, old-fashioned oats, rolled oats] Nutrition Facts & Calories or 300 apples- 20,000 cal Apples, raw, with skin [Includes USDA commodity food A343] Nutrition Facts & Calories eight servings of beans- 2300 cal Beans, navy, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt Nutrition Facts & Calories or 5800 cal worth of raspberries Raspberries, raw Nutrition Facts & Calories.

A diet consisting of equal parts of rice, beans & corn (to get a just barely healthy 60 g of complete protein) would contain 3200 cal, whereas just 6oz of beef would give the protein but only 500 cal.

A diet of 2000 cal would make most Americans obese. Playing ice hockey at top speed for only one hour burns only 500cal, for perspective; weight lifting much less (you spend more time resting between sets than exercising).

Fruits are particularly low in protein compared to carb density and should be considered merely sources of sugar.
If you are reasonably active, consuming 2000 cals per day will absolutely not make you obese. why do you keep posting this crap?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Not everyone needs to use protein supplements. You're a 140 lb woman that engages in moderate weight training. You should be able to easily get enough protein just from the food you eat.
I probably get only 70g per day. Quite simply, I'm just not a big protein consumer. Don't misunderstand. I do like meat, especially red meat and I eat meat about twice per day. I drink a protein shake at lunch. And then there's protein I get from dairy and plant foods, but because I tend to eat below 1700 cals on most days I just can't get to 100g.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Some of the most built, ripped, defined people I have known subsisted largely on a diet of Funyuns, soda, and fast food.

In other words, musculature and leanness are determined in great part by genetics which is why you can find pictures of ripped vegans and ripped keto diet people.

But for many, maybe most people, a diet high in animal proteins is a necessity to overcome a plateau in muscle development, all training techniques being equal.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:14 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That's great but the best protein sources are lean meat, eggs, and milk. Most vegan sources of protein are incomplete proteins. They are deficient in amino acids.
I agreed with all of your posts in this thread with the exception of this one. The "incomplete protein" myth for plant sources of protein was debunked a long time ago. (Meaning, they have all the essential amino acids and aren't missing any.). However, they do have less of certain amino acids than meat and eggs, and some sources also don't absorb as well.

In general though, people can build muscle on vegan diets just fine. But they do have to put more thought into it.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I agreed with all of your posts in this thread with the exception of this one. The "incomplete protein" myth for plant sources of protein was debunked a long time ago. (Meaning, they have all the essential amino acids and aren't missing any.). However, they do have less of certain amino acids than meat and eggs, and some sources also don't absorb as well.

In general though, people can build muscle on vegan diets just fine. But they do have to put more thought into it.
Since non meat forms of protein are, incomplete, you need to eat a variety of sources to get all of the types of amino acids. You can't only eat lentils and expect to get them all. You need other types of beans, grains, seeds, nuts, etc to get a balanced amino profile.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:45 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If you are reasonably active, consuming 2000 cals per day will absolutely not make you obese. why do you keep posting this crap?
Rule of thumb in calculating nutritional prescription: 10 cal/lb body weight for maintenance--> 2000 cal/d maintains 200 lb body weight. Activity level will alter that calculation, but 2000 cal/d will make almost all females and most males obese. That qualifies as "most Americans." https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...day-per-pound/

Any other questions?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Rule of thumb in calculating nutritional prescription: 10 cal/lb body weight for maintenance--> 2000 cal/d maintains 200 lb body weight. Activity level will alter that calculation, but 2000 cal/d will make almost all females and most males obese. That qualifies as "most Americans." https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...day-per-pound/

Any other questions?

Males can easily eat 2000 calories and not be obese. WTH. And the same can be said of many active women, and I'm not talking about athletes. You're telling me that as a 147 pound female, I should only eat 1470 calories per day? BS. Per my DEXA scan, I require close to 1500 just to basically open my eyes and wake up. Anything -- and I mean anything (aka normal daily activity)-- else I do requires additional calories. I can easily eat 2400 calories per day to maintain, given my activity level. In fact, I can eat 1950 per day to maintain if I was sedentary.

https://www.cancer.org/healthy/eat-h...alculator.html

https://caloriecontrol.org/why-2000-calories/ (15 cals per pound of body weight gives me a result of over 2000 for maintenance)

BMI & Calorie Calculator

1470 per day (and let's not talk about the calories that I burn exercising) would result in weight LOSS since it would create a caloric defecit. I lose weight eating below 1500 calories every single day.

I notice you didn't mention height or anything else.

Last edited by riaelise; 10-16-2017 at 11:30 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,735,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Since non meat forms of protein are, incomplete, you need to eat a variety of sources to get all of the types of amino acids. You can't only eat lentils and expect to get them all. You need other types of beans, grains, seeds, nuts, etc to get a balanced amino profile.
They're not incomplete, that's a myth

Old 10-17-2017, 02:28 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
That's because eating oatmeal is essentially "carbing up." It has almost no protein or fat (3g & 4g respectively in a serving). Eggs (9g prot ea.) require a little more gastro-intestinal effort to digest, diverting blood flow to the gut and away from skeletal muscle.

Plant derived foods generally have only single digit percentages of prot. RDA, therefore require 10-20+ servings/d to obtain enough protein. Mother Nature intended us to eat some meat every day.
I should clarify....better workouts involving anything but weight lifting.

When lifting weights, the extra protein seems to help in doing heavier sets for the Oly lifts. My muscles feel more "alive" if that makes any sense. If I eat oatmeal/banana before lifting, I'm not as warm and everything feels stiffer and weaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness