Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I got into a massive rut, I'm a former marathon runner, weight lifter, trainer (AFAA certified step and personal training, STOTT Pilates certified instructor), yadda, yadda, yadda.

I got myself into a rut and could not get it together.

I jumped off the cliff and signed up for a free Orangetheory Class and I'm addicted! I feel amazing and so happy I did this!

My suggestion would be to get into a class that is different from what you are used to.

Good luck~you can do this!!
how did you get in a rut - did you over do it? I know a triathlete that is always training and I'm afraid she might run into this......guess training is no longer fun, becomes an obsession though, and becomes an all encompassing job.....she just finished one event and is already training for the next......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:10 AM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
Just do it.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,

I am going to suggest something new for you to try. Many of us over 60 do not realize how bad our balance has become and it may be a place to start on getting into a new exercise routine.

So, with your eyes open, try standing on one foot and see if you can maintain your balance for 60 seconds. I was surprised when my trainer asked me to do this and I only lasted 3 seconds - even though for 18 months prior I had been walking 3 - 5 miles a day. (I had developed the beginnings of a "senior shuffle" because I was not picking up my feet when I walked.)

He gave me several exercises to do to improve my balance and within 3 months I saw a dramatic improvement. Good balance is the key to doing many exercises.

For example, be sure to strike with your heel and push off with your toe when you go for a walk. Keep your head level, shoulders back and chest out when you walk. Good posture when walking makes breathing easier and striking with your heel and pushing off with your toe increases the speed at which you are walking with much less effort.

I can give you several at home exercises you can do to improve your balance. My goal was to be able to do the sit/rise test - where you can sit down on the floor Indian style and stand back up without using your hand, arm or thigh to assist you getting down or standing back up. Took me less than 3 months to meet that goal.

Once you see an improvement in your balance everything else just seems to be so much easier to do.
I am not yet 60, but earlier this year I kept rolling my ankles and even ended up with a fairly serious sprain at some point.

I found my balanced improved doing yoga (tree pose and warrior poses are great for this purpose) and megaformer classes (which is sort of like pilates reformer but faster and more strength oriented). The megaformer classes have you doing moves on one side at a time.

My balance is so much better, I haven't rolled my ankle in months and I have seen so many improvements. Working on balance is a big win for sure!

Old 10-27-2017, 02:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
how did you get in a rut - did you over do it? I know a triathlete that is always training and I'm afraid she might run into this......guess training is no longer fun, becomes an obsession though, and becomes an all encompassing job.....she just finished one event and is already training for the next......
I just ran for almost twelve years, ran marathons for a decade.

Just got tired of it and wanted something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness