Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:56 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,926,376 times

Advertisements

Well, if he can do it, now is a good time to start and keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The OP is only 53.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,605,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEBMurray View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm 53 years old, 5'3" and weigh 285 pounds. I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in both knees and told to lose weight, otherwise I would be in a wheelchair in two years

I know diet is extremely important, but I want to get stronger, more flexible and increase my stamina using a low-impact workout in less than 30 minutes/day. Can you suggest a workout program, video, or class that might suit me?

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

taking your weight height and age into account, it is important you have a check up before undertaking an exercise program.
I know you say you were just diagnosed, but did the doctor check your heart blood pressure type II diabetes ?

I don't wish to scare monger, but when you get to 50 you really have to start reviewing how your exercise.

just my thoughts i am not in the medical field...

Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,285,774 times
very good advice - thus my recommendation to take baby steps -can't undo years of inactivity over night.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:16 PM

57 posts, read 27,082 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

I'm 53 years old, 5'3" and weigh 285 pounds. I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in both knees and told to lose weight, otherwise I would be in a wheelchair in two years

I know diet is extremely important, but I want to get stronger, more flexible and increase my stamina using a low-impact workout in less than 30 minutes/day. Can you suggest a workout program, video, or class that might suit me?

I would start slow. Try walking adding more distance each week. Also, diet is huge so changing that will make a big difference.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:49 PM

4,535 posts, read 5,345,998 times
Quote:
Best low impact workout for increasing strength, flexibility and cardio - Under 30 minutes
You are definitely asking for a Unicorn with golden wings being jockeyed by a magical leprechaun. Your best bet is to find and sign up in a Yoga studio and also a Taiji kwoon. Both would be the closest thing to what you are looking for, but you absolutely need to do more. How is your nutritional intake? THAT is where your immediate attention should go.

Quote:
I'm 53 years old, 5'3" and weigh 285 pounds.
Im surprised you arent already in a wheelchair (or in the ground). 285 punds at 5' 3" is crazy.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:24 AM

88,220 posts, read 84,110,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Well, if he can do it, now is a good time to start and keep it up.
Oh I agree, I was just amused at your use of the term "elderly" for someone who is only 53 years old. My mother will be 89 on Sunday. She is elderly.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:29 AM

88,220 posts, read 84,110,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
You are definitely asking for a Unicorn with golden wings being jockeyed by a magical leprechaun. Your best bet is to find and sign up in a Yoga studio and also a Taiji kwoon. Both would be the closest thing to what you are looking for, but you absolutely need to do more. How is your nutritional intake? THAT is where your immediate attention should go.

Im surprised you arent already in a wheelchair (or in the ground). 285 punds at 5' 3" is crazy.
There are plenty of people in that situation.

I have this great-aunt who I always remember as short and fat. (I've seen pics of her young when she wasn't.) She is just five feet tall. She was at my mother's house once and laughing because the doctor told her again to lose weight. She said, "I weigh 267! Same as my house number! HAHAHAHAHA!"

She can't walk anymore, but she's also 93.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:28 PM

57 posts, read 27,082 times
I would do 30 minutes a day of walking and every other day add a little arm and leg weights

Old 11-12-2017, 01:58 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,546,449 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

Get on a Schwinn Airdyne and build up your ability to make it go faster and for longer. This piece of equipment is the real thing and it can be very demanding. People don't read books or watch TV very much, when they're using them, because the workouts, with all four limbs pumping hard, are just plain tough. But this doesn't mean that you shouldn't do other workouts and stretching for flexibility.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,285,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

that this might be one of those troll threads crossed my mind....if not, doing anything more physically other than short walks will be too much until much of the wt is reduced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness