Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 09:08 AM

30 posts, read 30,738 times

Advertisements

$55 is not a lot in a big city like LA or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 09:24 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I have recently been thinking of canning the gym routine for an at home workout situation.
The whole routine of driving to and parking and changing and showing and changing is starting to really negate all that I find beneficial. My actual workout itself is enjoyable with my Kindle reading for a 4-5 mile run. Then I usually do a kettlebell session and some light weights.
For $55 a month I'm starting to think this may not be worth the hassle. Maybe i should just get a set of kettlebells and figure out my cardio situation at home.
Has anyone had success with this, or am I setting myself up for failure?
A set of good kettlebells will run you over $100 and then if you want to do cardio at home you'll need to buy a treadmill, stationary bike and/or eliptical machine.....all of which are several hundred dollars. You'll save gas money but will be spending additional money on your utilities being at home. $55 is not a lot of money for a good gym.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:35 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Good grief, you can easily do cardio without the $$$ equipment. And there is a *LOT* of previously-owned but never used equipment for sale, usually dirt cheap. I paid $50 total for my Bowflex Selectech dumbbells AND bench. Looked new/used. Another $50 for a Schwinn stationary bike about 8 years ago... At one time I had a multi-station setup, original receipt showed about $3k and I paid $600, after a decade of 3x a week use I sold it for $800 (posting the original receipt probably helped... people love to think they're getting a screaming deal).

Point is, one could be 100% situated for 2 months worth of the OPs membership, and not pay more than a few cents of electricity for the next decade. The longer it's used, the more the payout.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
If you have enough discipline, do it! I bought all that stuff and then never touched it. However, I go to the gym several times a week.

$55/month is a lot. I pay around $17/month and I always choose a gym that is located conveniently.
$55 is the cheap end of pricing around here. There are a few planet fitness we, but most of them are 15 miles away from me. There is one not too far from my office, about 3/4 of a mile in the wrong direction. It is super packed and not too convenient.

All of the gyms in my city are at least $45 - including 24 hour fitness. The rest of the gyms are $80+.

I do not like working out at home and won’t really do it. So it is better to pay for the gym and classes. We get $40/Mo at work for reimbursement which helps.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:34 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Good grief, you can easily do cardio without the $$$ equipment. And there is a *LOT* of previously-owned but never used equipment for sale, usually dirt cheap. I paid $50 total for my Bowflex Selectech dumbbells AND bench. Looked new/used. Another $50 for a Schwinn stationary bike about 8 years ago... At one time I had a multi-station setup, original receipt showed about $3k and I paid $600, after a decade of 3x a week use I sold it for $800 (posting the original receipt probably helped... people love to think they're getting a screaming deal).

Point is, one could be 100% situated for 2 months worth of the OPs membership, and not pay more than a few cents of electricity for the next decade. The longer it's used, the more the payout.
Sure you could go cheap and get inexpensive used equipment. My point was that the $55 membership fee isn't as steep as you think once you factor in the cost of owning the equipment and paying for slightly increased utilities.

But do you REALLY want to sit home alone in a small room doing the same 2 or 3 exercises for years and years?? To me that would get extremely old very quickly. I don't love my gym and I sure wouldn't like to have to shower in it, but it is an excuse to get out of the house and interact with folks who I probably wouldn't normally meet on an every day basis. Gyms also have significantly more equipment than kettlebells and cardio machines and if you're serious about getting into shape you'll need more than kettlebells and a stationary bike.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Yeah, The only reason that I'm sticking wiht it is because its a pretty good change of scenery. I mean the hassle of the whole rigmarole stinks. The showers are clean, and I do like to shower after a run.I do have a $10 a month gym closer to me, but I would not even go near their locker room.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
$55 isn't a lot if you use it regularly (every other day).....I've played sports like golf where a round would cost $30-40/18 holes....golfers player a couple of times a week......$55 is a good investment in yourself if you use the facility. If they provide classes, usually those cost $10/ea where I live, so you get your money's worth by doing a few of those a week as well.....

Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Depends on if you think you would work out at home or not. One of the reasons I join a gym is because I build it into my routine and go there. If I have equipment at home, I just walk right past it and somehow never quite get to it. Of course I also don't really have the space in our current place, but even if we did - I'd still go workout elsewhere. On the occasions I do work out at home, there are a ton of great workout videos that require little equipment, and I just do one of those.

Know thyself I guess. If you're self-motivated, and this would be something that would help, then sounds like it's worth it.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP23NBA View Post
$55 is not a lot in a big city like LA or NYC.
Exactly, it's actually cheap in a place like where I live (Boston). A very mediocre gym will be around $60-70. The Y is $40 (and is always filled to capacity).

Old 11-21-2017, 01:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
I like going to the gym because it keeps me out of the house. I think there is a mental health aspect to consider. Being out and seeing different people and feeling like you're doing something different are all things I enjoy. Though I'm sure a workout could be done at home, I prefer the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness